Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

But Romar's a great recruiter!!!!

SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 285
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
You can't fire him now or he'll lose all of his top recruits...

I have decided to reopen my recruitment and I am no longer commited to The University of Washington, they will remain at the top of my list

— Daejon Davis (@DaejonDavis) April 15, 2016

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Probably didn't want to have to compete with Josh Jackson for minutes.

WDWHA!
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I have never been high on Davis ...

On the other hand, what is the argument for LoRo apologists? If he can't keep elite local talent (which his success rate isn't as good as some would lead you to believe) then what is he bringing to the table?
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065
    Tequilla said:

On the other hand, what is the argument for LoRo apologists? If he can't keep elite local talent (which his success rate isn't as good as some would lead you to believe) then what is he bringing to the table?

We should be lucky to have such a coach of high character and with the recruits he's bringing on for 2017, the future is bright,
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Honestly as a Romar 'apologist' this is a bit alarming. Granted I'm not an 'end of the world' type and will let the process play out. For example of the process playing out, last year Romar got a commitment from the 4 star 6-7 Canadian point guard. Kid de-committed. Wailing and gnashing of teeth occurred. The the pride of Peninsula, JaQuori McLaughlin committed as a four star. His dad was on DM, made a youtube video as well highlighting why he committed to UW. Kid de-commits. Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensue. Romar sucks, yadda yadda. Then Markel Fultz commits. 'nuff said? To be clear, I don't believe Romar has a top 2 shooting guard on speed dial at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't talking to someone of similar capabilities. Also to be clear, I'd much prefer a local player over a non local if they are of the same caliber. I'm also a bit surprised this happened with a Garfield player. I found it a bit interesting that they added a hint of gold to their uniforms this last season. Also with Jamal Williams on the staff there, Will Conroy on UW staff, and BRoy being the Invisible Hand behind guys from Tacoma playing there, it becomes a head scratcher.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just wanted to add: The other thing about Romar's recruiting that has also been alarming is the lack of players from LA / California. QPon, Bobby Jones, Justin Holiday, Grant, Jamal Williams (via NM), Breshers. The well ran dry.

Just wanted to add: The other thing about Romar's recruiting that has also been alarming is the lack of players from LA / California. QPon, Bobby Jones, Justin Holiday, Grant, Jamal Williams (via NM), Breshers. The well ran dry.

This is an absolute truth ... but also explains why he is so dependent upon local players because without it he's basically got no recruiting base.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    Tequilla said:

More likely Romar let Davis know his feelings wouldn't be hurt if he looked around. He's a nice player but not in a have-to-have local guy way.

Musical chairs starts this weekend.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

The red flag I have in Romar is his in-game strategy.

Not that the rest wasn't relevant, but this is where the rubber meets the road on Romar ... he's a TERRIBLE in game coach as evidenced by the fact that his team makes the same fundamental (or lack thereof) mistakes on a consistent basis.
    And if you are a terrible in game coach, a roster full of 5 star talent doesn't completely cover that up.

Tequilla said:

More likely Romar let Davis know his feelings wouldn't be hurt if he looked around. He's a nice player but not in a have-to-have local guy way.

Musical chairs starts this weekend.

I used to go to a handful of Lakeside games a year when Davis was there and he had a lot of Wroten in him (not in the good way) based on what I saw ... I always thought Brown was the way better player there and think that Northwestern got themselves a really good one with him. I hadn't seen him at Garfield so I can't judge on where he is right now as a player ...

But unless he really has improved he's just your typical HS kid that has athletic advantages on everybody but really lacks refined skill or polish.

If we had a coach in the program that actually recognized this kind of shit and moved on because the kid wasn't a good fit for the program/conference, then I wouldn't say too much about it. But since Romar's basically backed himself into a corner in that he better get local Seattle players or else ... he needs every piece he can get because there are only so many players here that are worth a damn at the PAC level AND that can play Romar's roll the ball out rat ball philosophy.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

He supports First tee and the PGA of America unlike other coaches
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Not that the rest wasn't relevant, but this is where the rubber meets the road on Romar ... he's a TERRIBLE in game coach as evidenced by the fact that his team makes the same fundamental (or lack thereof) mistakes on a consistent basis.
    Completely agree, but still need to ask; Is Peterman a good in game coach?

Tequilla said:

Will give a better answer later but yes he is. It is fair to say that he has shown better in this regard at Boise than UW, but some mitigating circumstances at UW. We will get a better picture this year.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Will give a better answer later but yes he is. It is fair to say that he has shown better in this regard at Boise than UW, but some mitigating circumstances at UW. We will get a better picture this year.
    Good in game coaches don't go 8-10 in this shit conference.

Hope this helps.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I agree with virtually every post in this tThe strange thing is why Fultz would commit to Romar.

Tequilla said:

Yes.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fultz to UW will someday be on a episode of "unsolved mysteries".

For him to come cross country for 7 months to play on a borderline (at best and only because of the 8 community college games we schedule during the non-conf which are gimme wins) NCAA tourney team is a total head scratcher.