Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Incessant media comparisons between '16 GSW and '96 CHI

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

PurpleJ said:

It's a stupid debate until Golden State wins a few more titles. Go compare the Bulls to someone who's won like they have already. Like LA or the Celtics. Not saying I don't think Golden State can get there but it's a stupid comparison at this time.

They're being compared to the 96 Bulls, not the entire Bulls dynasty. No question GS needs at least three more titles before you can even think of comparing dynasties. But comparing one season to one Bulls season is fine. And this team would beat the 96 Sonics, even with 96 rules. Which means they'd take the Bulks to 7 at the very least. I think they'd beat them.
    Matchups matter. I think the physicality of the 1996 Bulls in their era would cause major problems for a smaller team like Golden State. Under today's rules, the Bulls couldn't get away with that kind of play.
    The Bulls never had to guard anybody 25 feet from the rim. The Warriors would be a bigger shock to the Bulls' than the Bulls would be to the Warriors.
    Fine, Jordan and Pippen never had to guard anybody 25 feet from the rim. And if you think Big Smoove had Curry/Thompson range I can't help you.
    Sounds like you're back tracking. Which story do you want to stick with?
    Warriors would beat da Bulls

Nuff said
    I don't deal in hypotheticals. Winners win.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

PurpleJ said:

It's a stupid debate until Golden State wins a few more titles. Go compare the Bulls to someone who's won like they have already. Like LA or the Celtics. Not saying I don't think Golden State can get there but it's a stupid comparison at this time.

They're being compared to the 96 Bulls, not the entire Bulls dynasty. No question GS needs at least three more titles before you can even think of comparing dynasties. But comparing one season to one Bulls season is fine. And this team would beat the 96 Sonics, even with 96 rules. Which means they'd take the Bulks to 7 at the very least. I think they'd beat them.
    Matchups matter. I think the physicality of the 1996 Bulls in their era would cause major problems for a smaller team like Golden State. Under today's rules, the Bulls couldn't get away with that kind of play.
    The Bulls never had to guard anybody 25 feet from the rim. The Warriors would be a bigger shock to the Bulls' than the Bulls would be to the Warriors.
    Fine, Jordan and Pippen never had to guard anybody 25 feet from the rim. And if you think Big Smoove had Curry/Thompson range I can't help you.
    Sounds like you're back tracking. Which story do you want to stick with?
    Are you seriously comparing flat footed stoned beyond reason slow release Sam Perkins to what Curry and Klay bring to the table?

Holy shit, paging Uncle Rico.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2016
    Popping off in April is always special. They won't repeat. Simple fac.t
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,411
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's almost too easy to troll the kids here
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I stand by my Warriors won't repeat and Blues win it all picks. Feel free to throw yours out there Race. Promise I will be gracious when I'm RIGHT.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

I respect the mid 90's bulls, but revisionist history is at a peak. This idea the Warriors would get swept is ridiculous. The sonics took them to 6.

If people think the Warriors are finesse and soft because they shoot a bunch of 3s, you're not paying attention.

Green vs. Rodman would be a war. Bogut is much better than Luc Longley. Barnes + Iguadalajara are better than Toni Kucok.

Speights and Ezeli are as good as front court depth as there is in the NBA.

You have the Jordan and Pippen factor in the Bulls favor and that's it. And they are dealing with Curry and Klay. This idea Curry would be mauled ineffective isn't accurate when he is quicker than Pippen and Jordan and has legitimate 30 ft. range.

Today's athletes are better, get over it '96. Ron Harper sucks.

Curry and Klay the Kewg...

Jordan and Pippen would murder those fools.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bulls beat them in any scenario. Warriors have a much better chance of winning with today's rules but some writer will inevitably compare compare Jordan and Curry and then you get mad MJ and its GG.

Bashing the Bulls for the Sonics series is FS. It's easy to forget just how great Shawn Kemp was and it was peak Glove.

The Bulls small ball lineup has a big advantage vs the Warriors and that's rebounding. Not just Rodman but Pippen and Jordan could dominate the glass when they wanted to.

And the idea that the greatest perimeter defender of all time and Michael fucking Jordan couldn't guard players because they're 25 feet from the basket is fucking stupid.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Bulls beat them in any scenario. Warriors have a much better chance of winning with today's rules but some writer will inevitably compare compare Jordan and Curry and then you get mad MJ and its GG.

Bashing the Bulls for the Sonics series is FS. It's easy to forget just how great Shawn Kemp was and it was peak Glove.

The Bulls small ball lineup has a big advantage vs the Warriors and that's rebounding. Not just Rodman but Pippen and Jordan could dominate the glass when they wanted to.

And the idea that the greatest perimeter defender of all time and Michael fucking Jordan couldn't guard players because they're 25 feet from the basket is fucking stupid.

Agree with most but the last paragraph. No teams that the Bulls played could spread you out with 3 or more shooters on the floor like the Dubs have. Nor did any of them have the Ball movement that the Dubs have. IN a tight game late in the 4th, you would always like a Jordan to get it done. However the Dubs are rarely in tight games in the 4th and are better conditioned than most. I like the Dubs 4-8 much better than I like the Bulls 4-8. I'd see the Dubs in 6 against the Bulls of that era.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'd still probably take the Bull because of Jordan, but it's stupid to think that Curry wouldn't hurt them from the outside. And when the perimeter d steps up to take away the 28-footers he can drop it down to the forecourt guys or to Klay in the corner. I think it's a dumb, unanswerable question; but if you pressed I'd say Bulls in 7.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Warriors in 4.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Am I the only one who think the Sixers handle both of these teams? Rather easily, say 134-117.

Moses gets anything he wants inside. Anything. And teaches Rodman the difference between a great offensive rebounder, and the greatest offensive rebounder.

Cheeks and Jones guard Jordan/Pippen or Curry/Thompson.

Pre-injury Toney would have to be guarded by Jordan. Who takes him on GS? Pippen tries to guard Dr J. Is Rodman/Cartwright or Bogut really going to stop Moses? And who is left to guard Cheeks? Or even O'Dea Clint?

The '83 Lakers were the defending champs, winners of 2 of the previous 3 titles. And they were the final fo'. Neither the Bulls nor Warriors could sweep a team as good as those Lakers.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Sixers are hurt in history by the failures that proceeded the title. Fair or not, fans remember the losses more than the win.

Even after the title when they added Barkley to the aging stars the Sixers found a way to lose.

The 83 team was great but won't be credited as such
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Michael Jordan didn't get hurt like a little bitch.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I agree that the Sixers are hurt by having only one title. I just think that the 83 Sixers are a similar type of team as the 85 Bears.

Basically they took a team that had lost to the eventual champ 3 years in a row (twice in the finals 4-2, once in the conference finals 4-3), and then added to that team the reigning league MVP. So for that one year they could have defeated any team, any where, from any era.

I had forgotten the Lakers were not only the defending champs, but the first ever defending champs to add the #1 overall draftpick in Worthy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't disagree

Also the 1977 loss was to a team that had peak and healthy Walton and was another single season truly great team. No shame in losing that series even though it was considered a huge loss at the time.

A great team will beat a great selection of stars most of the time. Malone was a big upgrade over George McGinnis to put it mildly
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2016

I don't disagree

Also the 1977 loss was to a team that had peak and healthy Walton and was another single season truly great team. No shame in losing that series even though it was considered a huge loss at the time.

A great team will beat a great selection of stars most of the time. Malone was a big upgrade over George McGinnis to put it mildly

People forget that Portland was running rough shod over the league in 1978 as well until Walton went down with a 50-10 record.

Malone then took a .500 Houston team to the finals against the mighty Celtics in '80. One could say He was legit.