Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Portland Pulls Ahead

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited April 2016 in Tug Tavern

Mississippi's Bigoted New Law Means the Mayor Can't Go To Pascagoula

For the second week in a row, Portland's talking about banning city employees from traveling to a bigoted state, and this time Mayor Charlie Hales' Pascagoula dreams may be dashed.

Hales and First Lady Nancy Hales had planned to travel to Mississippi next month to pay a visit to the USS Portland (actually, the third USS Portland to be owned by the US Navy), named in honor of this city. But after Mississippi became the latest state to pass a terrible, homophobic, discriminatory law yesterday, Hales says he'll put those plans on ice.

"I would be very disappointed if the Mayor of Portland was not able to be there for the launching of the Portland," Hales said this morning, adding "these travel bans, if they are to mean anything, should mean we are not able to go to Mississippi."

Banning travel to states passing what Hales calls "anti-human rights" laws has become a somewhat regular occurrence in Portland City Hall. Just last week, council temporarily banned employee travel to North Carolina because of a law targeting transgender residents. A year before, council banned travel to Indiana for a short time before the state walked back its own controversial law.

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2016

For the second week in a row, Portland's talking about banning city employees from traveling to a bigoted state, and this time Mayor Charlie Hales' Pascagoula dreams may be dashed.

Hales and First Lady Nancy Hales had planned to travel to Mississippi next month to pay a visit to the USS Portland (actually, the third USS Portland to be owned by the US Navy), named in honor of this city. But after Mississippi became the latest state to pass a terrible, homophobic, discriminatory law yesterday, Hales says he'll put those plans on ice.

"I would be very disappointed if the Mayor of Portland was not able to be there for the launching of the Portland," Hales said this morning, adding "these travel bans, if they are to mean anything, should mean we are not able to go to Mississippi."

Banning travel to states passing what Hales calls "anti-human rights" laws has become a somewhat regular occurrence in Portland City Hall. Just last week, council temporarily banned employee travel to North Carolina because of a law targeting transgender residents. A year before, council banned travel to Indiana for a short time before the state walked back its own controversial law.
    Editorializing
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,499
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Gotta focus on the important stuff
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Fuck, Portland is worthless. Seattle is just as fucktarded, if not moreso. But at least it's aesthetically pleasing for the most part and home to a lot of industry. Microsoft, Starbucks, Costco, Nintendo, T-Mobile, Expedia, Real Networks, Valve, Amazon, Nordstrom, Paccar, Weyerhauser, etc, etc.

If you're comparing the 2 most pussified cities in America, at least one of them brings in a lot of jobs so you have an excuse to live there. There's only a finite number of times you can get turned down by Nike.

Shit, shortly after graduating from UW a little over 10 years ago I took the first solid-paying corporate gig I could find to start saving up some money. Over the years I'd had plenty of 'why the fuck do I even live here?' moments but for some reason this one stands out vividly and really got my brain to start thinking of other options. I was driving at a snail's pace after work on I-90 and listening to KJR (I was 23...fuck off). As it went to commercial, KJR was doing a promo for their latest and greatest contest. Being a sports channel and all, you'd think the grand prize drawing would net you season tickets to the Hawks/Huskies or some kind of trip to see the M's at Yankee Stadium. But who needs that kind of fleeting garbage when KJR will offset your carbon footprint for a year? Fuck. My. Life.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Fuck, Portland is worthless. Seattle is just as fucktarded, if not moreso. But at least it's aesthetically pleasing for the most part and home to a lot of industry. Microsoft, Starbucks, Costco, Nintendo, T-Mobile, Expedia, Real Networks, Valve, Amazon, Nordstrom, Paccar, Weyerhauser, etc, etc.

If you're comparing the 2 most pussified cities in America, at least one of them brings in a lot of jobs so you have an excuse to live there. There's only a finite number of times you can get turned down by Nike.

Shit, shortly after graduating from UW a little over 10 years ago I took the first solid-paying corporate gig I could find to start saving up some money. Over the years I'd had plenty of 'why the fuck do I even live here?' moments but for some reason this one stands out vividly and really got my brain to start thinking of other options. I was driving at a snail's pace after work on I-90 and listening to KJR (I was 23...fuck off). As it went to commercial, KJR was doing a promo for their latest and greatest contest. Being a sports channel and all, you'd think the grand prize drawing would net you season tickets to the Hawks/Huskies or some kind of trip to see the M's at Yankee Stadium. But who needs that kind of fleeting garbage when KJR will offset your carbon footprint for a year? Fuck. My. Life.

I have a ten minute commute to my job.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I have a ten minute commute to my job.
    I'm sorry, the judges were looking for "seven", however, the over/under is five.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,990
    Swaye's Wigwam

What the fuck is wrong with this bored. 8 replies in and not one Wood Hit?! Sure, she's holding an axe, but still.

Disappointing
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why do you hate Voodoo Donuts and Dave's Killer Bread????
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    salemcoog said:

And tittie bars. Don't overlook the tittie bars.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PurpleJ said:

The Seattle/Portland pissing match is the most pathetic thing ever. You two deserve each other. Scissoring hairy ginered sister city San Fran wannabes the both of you boof towns!

When the rest of the country thinks of Seattle they're thinking of the entire region between Olympia and Everett. Nobody outside of the Northwest knows about Tacoma.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

The Seattle/Portland pissing match is the most pathetic thing ever. You two deserve each other. Scissoring hairy ginered sister city San Fran wannabes the both of you boof towns!

When the rest of the country thinks of Seattle they're thinking of the entire region between Olympia and Everett. Nobody outside of the Northwest knows about Tacoma.
    Does that make you feel important? Does it help you feel better about your dick?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

PurpleJ said:

When the rest of the country thinks of Seattle they're thinking of the entire region between Vancouver and Vancouver. Nobody outside of the Northwest knows about Tacoma.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

And tittie bars. Don't overlook the tittie bars.
    And the Sirloins that eat alot like a Ribeye.
  • Options

PurpleJ said:

You smell Tacoma before you see it.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I was wondering what she looked like 30-50 years ago? I have no idea how old she is. But, I'm guessing i'd hit the earlier version.
    Alexis said:

What the fuck is wrong with this bored. 8 replies in and not one Wood Hit?! Sure, she's holding an axe, but still.

Disappointing

• Options
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Does that make you feel important? Does it help you feel better about your dick?
    Definitely projecting. I'm just stating what we? all know.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Tacoma isn't totally soulless and corporate. But the high point of your civic history was when you got the NPRR instead of Seattle.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Definitely projecting. I'm just stating what we? all know.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Tacoma isn't totally soulless and corporate. But the high point of your civic history was when you got the NPRR instead of Seattle.
    I think you're missing the point here. It wasn't to compare cities. It was that comparing shit tier cities is dumb. So you went from comparing Seattle to Portland to comparing it to Tacoma. Great. Keep talking shit about Tacoma so people stay away. I'm cool with that.
  • Options
    I just like a good city superiority slap fight.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just like a good city superiority slap fight.

Your traffic sucks slightly more than ours and our politicians are slightly less retarded! BITCH!