Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kansas tax cuts killing the state...

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    salemcoog said:

Many of these guys think tax breaks increase jobs. It's true to some extent, but not enough to sustain it. Ideally you want a combination of tax breaks with increased opportunities because of market growth. People get hired, overseas, when businesses can't keep up with demand.

For instance, if I hire two people and I can keep up with jobs, tax breaks will only go into my pocket. But if market growth calls for a needed expansion, tax breaks gives me more flexibility to hire additional people. If I'm cash poor I might not be able to keep up with new demand and waste growth opportunities. It's a balance we need.

Crisped.
    If they manufacture overseas. But lets be honest here. Most companies don't go overseas because of tax alone. They go overseas because of the combination of taxes and labor costs. If I can save $10/hour with a 2,000 employee manufacturing plant in Mexico vs the US, that's roughly 52 million dollars a year in savings. We could charge zero taxes, and it's hard to make up that difference.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,866
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Laffer? Isn't he the fraud who came up with trickle down economics? Next...
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Sledog said:

* You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    * You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    * You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
    * You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
    * You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    * You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
    * You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    * You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
    * You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
    * You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

It's funny that when it's money going from the rich to the poor it's inciting class hatred but when it's the rich rigging the rules in their favor it's fine. When the rich fuck over the poor, when they destroy the middle class, that's cool. Ask the rich to give more because they have more and it's a war.

But here's the bigger problem with this diatribe, you call it the brotherhood of man (should be siblinghood of people) and then you refer to the poor as little and weak. You refer to the rich as big and strong. You imply that poor people lack the character of the rich because they're not rich. Brother Sibling, those are fighting words and it sounds like you are the one that wants the war.
    Male sibling, can you spare a dime?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Non gender specific non traditional tribal unit member
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Non gender specific non traditional tribal unit member

"Member" has phallic implications.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,899
    I didn't even read the thread - all I know is Kansas is one of, if not the most fucked up state in this union. Bunch of fucking mouthbreathing lying motherfuckers, not unlike the Seattle City Council but I digress.

That place is F-U-C-K-E-D.

• Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Paywall. Its written by some supply side hacks so I doubt its truthful.

Heres the other side which confirms my suspicion:

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article58549653.html

Tax cuts are always great but these supply side economists are like religious zealots. They think tax cuts are the #1 answer and the only answer to everything. They were proclaiming how great the Bush economy was (private sector growth was actually the worst ever, weaker than Obama) literally a year before it fell off a cliff.

The problem is that they teach in schools and promote economic thought that would work if you were playing legos and there were no variables involved. I majored in econ and it's all theory of how shit should work if the world was a test lab. Austrian economics or it's all bullshit.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,300
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article58549653.html

Tax cuts are always great but these supply side economists are like religious zealots. They think tax cuts are the #1 answer and the only answer to everything. They were proclaiming how great the Bush economy was (private sector growth was actually the worst ever, weaker than Obama) literally a year before it fell off a cliff.

The problem is that they teach in schools and promote economic thought that would work if you were playing legos and there were no variables involved. I majored in econ and it's all theory of how shit should work if the world was a test lab. Austrian economics or it's all bullshit.
    +1

Loved my Econ major, taught me critical thinking and analysis skills, but the underlying assumption of rational behavior doesn't exist in the world. If I could go back in time I'd add in some behavioral economics.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    whlinder said:

+1

Loved my Econ major, taught me critical thinking and analysis skills, but the underlying assumption of rational behavior doesn't exist in the world. If I could go back in time I'd add in some behavioral economics.
    Exxxactly. I found most of the material very fascinating, especially issues dealing with consumer behavior and what motivates people to act in a certain way. Though I should have transferred to the von Mises Institute.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,908

Sledog said:

* You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
    * You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

It's funny that when it's money going from the rich to the poor it's inciting class hatred but when it's the rich rigging the rules in their favor it's fine. When the rich fuck over the poor, when they destroy the middle class, that's cool. Ask the rich to give more because they have more and it's a war.

But here's the bigger problem with this diatribe, you call it the brotherhood of man (should be siblinghood of people) and then you refer to the poor as little and weak. You refer to the rich as big and strong. You imply that poor people lack the character of the rich because they're not rich. Brother, those are fighting words and it sounds like you are the one that wants the war.
    Maybe the concept of a democratic republic is lost on many people.

Sledog said:

But here's the bigger problem with this diatribe, you call it the brotherhood of man (should be siblinghood of people) and then you refer to the poor as little and weak. You refer to the rich as big and strong. You imply that poor people lack the character of the rich because they're not rich. Brother, those are fighting words and it sounds like you are the one that wants the war.
    "It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution."
    — Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Third President of the United States

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

“The average age of the world’s great civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage.”
    — Sir Alex Fraser Tytler (1742-1813) Scottish jurist & historian (quote credited)

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

"It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution."

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

“The average age of the world’s great civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage.”
    — Sir Alex Fraser Tytler (1742-1813) Scottish jurist & historian (quote credited)

Abundance.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,899
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Abundance boner.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    @allpurpleallgold: You may have written something brilliant, compelling and convincing. But, siblinghood of people? Really?

• Options
    Doubtful

Sledog said:

If you think you have the right to what I earn and you think that's equitable that's how wars start. This is America. We used to be free. You have the right to work as much as you can and make all the money you can and to keep what you earn. You have a right to buy property, build and live freely with excessive government interference or control.

You have no right to free stuff, money food stamps, section 8, WIC, wealth redistribution, college tuition or anything your neighbor owns. Many of which were the result of republican thought but meant only for temporary use not generational support.

Wanting what your neighbor has is envy. This is the generation of envy. Driven by a political party of laziness and lack of ambition that thinks they are entitled to everything paid for by the work of others. Work and earn it that's what our f'ing country is all about!

For those that don't believe in these principals Cuba is only 90 miles away, it is a socialist workers paradise! Just ask all of the ones risking their lives to come here.

My brother (or siblings) does not live off my earnings nor should you.

War? War may well come when freedoms erode enough. Our forefathers thought there would be a revolution every 10-20 years. That's how much they feared a strong central government with the power to tax and take freedom at will.

If that war were to come you will not like the outcome and I wouldn't like the process.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2016
    I doubt you've ever earned anything.

And if you have, what makes you think anyone wants your single wide and your Pinto wagon?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

Doubtful

Sledog said:

If you think you have the right to what I earn and you think that's equitable that's how wars start. This is America. We used to be free. You have the right to work as much as you can and make all the money you can and to keep what you earn. You have a right to buy property, build and live freely with excessive government interference or control.

You have no right to free stuff, money food stamps, section 8, WIC, wealth redistribution, college tuition or anything your neighbor owns. Many of which were the result of republican thought but meant only for temporary use not generational support.

Wanting what your neighbor has is envy. This is the generation of envy. Driven by a political party of laziness and lack of ambition that thinks they are entitled to everything paid for by the work of others. Work and earn it that's what our f'ing country is all about!

For those that don't believe in these principals Cuba is only 90 miles away, it is a socialist workers paradise! Just ask all of the ones risking their lives to come here.

War? War may well come when freedoms erode enough. Our forefathers thought there would be a revolution every 10-20 years. That's how much they feared a strong central government with the power to tax and take freedom at will.

If that war were to come you will not like the outcome and I wouldn't like the process.
    Let's go back to the 50s then is what it sounds like you want. Before food stamps, section 8, wealth redistribution. Right?

Remember 90% tax rate over $100k? What decade was that again?
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Doubtful

Sledog said:

Let's go back to the 50s then is what it sounds like you want. Before food stamps, section 8, wealth redistribution. Right?

Remember 90% tax rate over $100k? What decade was that again?
    Yeah a lot more deductions then. It was never paid at that rate. Remember democrat John Kennedy lowered taxes and the money poured in? He'd be called a right wing loon today.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dflea said:

I doubt you've ever earned anything.

And if you have, what makes you think anyone wants your single wide and your Pinto wagon?

Like a real flea I'm sure you suck the blood of the producers in our nation. I have more than one house and none of them have wheels. Oh but I do have an RV as well. I bet your Occupy Wall Street tent is the bomb though!