Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Former Seattle Church Run Like Organized Crime Syndicate

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    salemcoog said:

HuskyJW said:

Gladstone said:

Organised religion is fucking weird and antiquated.

I like to pretend I don't have Christmas at my house and make fun of organized religion. I like to do that.
    Sounds like you are and yours are still keeping the Christ in Christmas.
    As a Man of the Cloth...yes this is true.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

People that donate over $90k to a church over a multi-year period probably deserve to be defrauded out of it IMO ...

That doesn't mean that the above should be twisted into any specific religious beliefs by me or not ... but people that pay significant money to support a religion should probably take a long walk and get some perspective about what religion really is

I know it's chic to make fun of "organized religion" (Mars Hill was non-denominational and, thus, not a religion. Although a hypocrite, Driscoll spoke out against organized religion), but to say anyone deserves to be defrauded of their money out of good faith is FS.

This, though, is an inherent problem when a pastor becomes more important than the church itself. And in tithing, people aren't paying "significant money to support a religion", they are led to believe they're helping keep the doors open, but the majority of the tithing should be going to outreach programs, missionaries, the poor, other ministries, etc. You are trusting that the church will appropriate the funds as necessary. A past church I went to had a complete giving statement every month, how much was given and EXACTLY where every dollar went to, including the pastors' salaries (which they all kept below 25k). That's how it should be.

Nobody "deserves" to be defrauded out of their money. But if anybody does it's douchefucks like Jeff Razore who give hundreds of thousands to their fucking high school football team. That's gayer than gay.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nah if you're too stupid to figure out that they're not putting your money to good use then you deserve to get scammed. I'd never even attend a church like that, let alone write them a check. That's like giving Kim money.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

Nah if you're too stupid to figure out that they're not putting your money to good use then you deserve to get scammed. I'd never even attend a church like that, let alone write them a check. That's like giving Kim money.

PLSS, true?
    Don't think this church lets the gays in. PLSS needs a more tolerant charlatan. He's not gonna take that. Oh yes he is. ;))))
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

People that donate over $90k to a church over a multi-year period probably deserve to be defrauded out of it IMO ...

That doesn't mean that the above should be twisted into any specific religious beliefs by me or not ... but people that pay significant money to support a religion should probably take a long walk and get some perspective about what religion really is

I know it's chic to make fun of "organized religion" (Mars Hill was non-denominational and, thus, not a religion. Although a hypocrite, Driscoll spoke out against organized religion), but to say anyone deserves to be defrauded of their money out of good faith is FS.

This, though, is an inherent problem when a pastor becomes more important than the church itself. And in tithing, people aren't paying "significant money to support a religion", they are led to believe they're helping keep the doors open, but the majority of the tithing should be going to outreach programs, missionaries, the poor, other ministries, etc. You are trusting that the church will appropriate the funds as necessary. A past church I went to had a complete giving statement every month, how much was given and EXACTLY where every dollar went to, including the pastors' salaries (which they all kept below 25k). That's how it should be.

Nobody "deserves" to be defrauded out of their money. But if anybody does it's douchefucks like Jeff Razore who give hundreds of thousands to their fucking high school football team. That's gayer than gay.
    Im down with most of what you are saying other than all pastors salaries should be under $25k. I'm not for the millionaire pastor but most of those dudes spent a long time in school and work crazy hours, I have no problem
    with them being paid comfortably.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I didn't realize you could make such good money with a church. I'm starting one tomorrow. We will practice idol worship (Keeley) and during lent you will only be able to eat Cheetos.

Here's our first Saint:

Send money now. I'll use it for rows of PlayStations for Call of Duty tournaments.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Im down with most of what you are saying other than all pastors salaries should be under $25k. I'm not for the millionaire pastor but most of those dudes spent a long time in school and work crazy hours, I have no problem
    Do we muzzle the ox that treads the grain?
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Do we muzzle the ox that treads the grain?
    Awfully warm for February, 50 AD
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

Gladstone said:

I like to pretend I don't have Christmas at my house and make fun of organized religion. I like to do that.
    What?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I would say that the majority of pastors are ethical, and deserve their 100k+ pay; but there should be a rule that if you get caught in a corruption scandal using church money the congregation should be allowed to put you in the stocks for a couple days, and then exact a fine of equivalent stature. This goes back to the status of churches as tax-exempt organizations, which is a sweet deal if you don't abuse it.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

No, I totally agree. I may have worded it incorrectly but I meant to say that if people are tithing in good faith, all churches should have an open-book policy to tell you exactly where your money's going. Being a (good) pastor is an extremely hard and thankless job. I have no problem with them making decent money, I was just using that church as an example. But a good pastor, every day, has people coming to him because their spouse just got cancer, their husband cheated on them, son committed suicide, they just got raped, etc, and they need advice/counsel. If you don't have the heart for it, it's not a very uplifting job.
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I would say that the majority of pastors are ethical, and deserve their 100k+ pay; but there should be a rule that if you get caught in a corruption scandal using church money the congregation should be allowed to put you in the stocks for a couple days, and then exact a fine of equivalent stature. This goes back to the status of churches as tax-exempt organizations, which is a sweet deal if you don't abuse it.
    I'm not even arguing for $100k+ (most pastors don't make anywhere near that), although like anything else that depends on the part of the country and how many people you are serving. The average pastor of a congregation of 75 isn't sniffing $100k, but he probably deserves more than $25k. That's all I was arguing.

Where I probably break with most on this bored is I don't have a problem if a pastor writes a book and prices it reasonably and hits the jackpot that way, I just don't think he should get rich off the people he directly serves.

The big problem with Driscoll (who I liked) was a) lack of transparency and b) serious arrogance that he could get away with it.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not even arguing for $100k+ (most pastors don't make anywhere near that), although like anything else that depends on the part of the country and how many people you are serving. The average pastor of a congregation of 75 isn't sniffing $100k, but he probably deserves more than $25k. That's all I was arguing.

Where I probably break with most on this bored is I don't have a problem if a pastor writes a book and prices it reasonably and hits the jackpot that way, I just don't think he should get rich off the people he directly serves.

The big problem with Driscoll (who I liked) was a) lack of transparency and b) serious arrogance that he could get away with it.
    Oh right, I was just looking at what the senior pastors made in salary at the wealthy Seattle church I went to as a kid. I obviously don't have a problem with making money on outside stuff like books or speaking tours. However, there's not a lot of oversight, and elders and pastors have such close working relationships that it makes terminating people for bad behavior very difficult.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I didn't realize you could make such good money with a church. I'm starting one tomorrow. We will practice idol worship (Keeley) and during lent you will only be able to eat Cheetos.

Here's our first Saint:

Send money now. I'll use it for rows of PlayStations for Call of Duty tournaments.

Can I be one of her apostles?
  • Options

Swaye said:

Here's our first Saint:

Can I be one of her apostles?
    "A reading from the 1st letter of Puppylovesugarsteel to J and Thomas...

You J yourself?....

....I put Dawgman on the map, and ill take all credit. Mr Members Only fucked it all up as usual, with Mr meatballs and a side of prime rib helping out All praxtice reports came from pup, all the forum activity came from pup (sound familiar) and general college football banter and specific data and history all cqme from Pup on early dawgman forums. Of course Fatters poached all my shit as his own, 1996 until a few months ago during Pups spring and fall camp analysis. Samek did a good job, I handled the practice and football related discussion, Samek did dirty work. Fetters was just a voiceless tubby, knowing nothing of football, just came in as Samek's Tuba cleaner and oiler. He started building his platform off Puppys shit, one liners, supreme knowledge and the inevitable popularity he dearly coveted. Most important Puppy regularly brought Fleenor to his knees praying for mercy, Daily. That dude bought Puppy's censorship I guaran f-ing tee.

Kim was now wondering where he belonged. Clearly overshadowed by pupoylove, He sauntered over to pup at practice, dressed straight out of a JC Penny catalogue, and his well worn members only jacket and glasses the size of two small pizzas with the corredponding zits, asked Pup to cover a girls hoops story. Funny watching that coke-bottle glasses wearing little pipsqueak walk away in shame. Then go on to take Samek's brainchild down the shitter...all this while running his real estate 'career down the same pipes.

If Heckman was smart he'd put me in charge of that place, he had a chance 15 years ago during the 1st hostile takeover attempt.. Jim you listening? You had Steel2 interning for you, should have sent Kim packing and hired him as my assistant. We would make dawgman great again, but with a new name. HH!!!!

Kim, ill buy you a plush tent for the jungle, monthly needle exchange and a lead on a fair dealer. Your son? He already asked Pup to be his godfather. I impolitely declined then had him miserably skull fucked by a few of the bull queers here. Wont say names, I wouldnt do that. We all know
    "
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    HuskyJW said:

salemcoog said:

HuskyJW said:

Gladstone said:

Sounds like you are and yours are still keeping the Christ in Christmas.
    As a Man of the Cloth...yes this is true.
    Jerking off into a wash rag does not make you a 'man of the cloth'.

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,592
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'm sure Russell was a member of MHS.

it was rumored to be where the cool people went to worship.
  • Options
    jecornel said:

I thought he was a Judah Smith guy?
  • Options
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

I thought he was a Judah Smith guy?
    Judah Smith is pretty trendy as well. I actually heard that he's Justin Bieber's personal "pastor". Not sure where RW went but the year they won the SB, Mars Hill did a video with Driscoll talking to RW, Okung, Maragos, Rocky Seto and a couple other guys about what the Super Bowl means to them.