Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pay players? Pac-12 schools are already spending >$100K/athlete.

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
Study. The NCAA has a lot of backward ideas. But the "exploitation" card has been a tad overplayed.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    Agree. Lot of folks would take that exploitation
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,384 Swaye's Wigwam
    I would have loved to have free meals 5 days a week and a free place to stay.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Arian Foster disagrees.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    When the head coach makes more than all 85 guys on scholarship, you have a problem.

At $25k per player, the players make a total of $2.125 million. Even Coach fucking Sark makes more than that by himself.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798

When the head coach makes more than all 85 guys on scholarship, you have a problem.

At $25k per player, the players make a total of $2.125 million. Even Coach fucking Sark makes more than that by himself.

Why is that a problem, exactly?

These guys are lavished with state-of-the-art facilities, coaching, training, medical support, etc. They get 100% of their tuition/room/board/books paid. They get tons of free meals, free tutoring, free clothes, free travel, and other benefits. Not to mention an education that, statistically, will increase their lifetime earning potential by literally millions of dollars.

When I was in college, I knew guys who would walk on with varsity teams solely for the benefit of priority registration, so they could get first enrollment crack at the classes they needed to graduate on time. There are some noisy malcontents out there; but I suspect most scholarship athletes understand what a screaming deal they're getting.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    TTJ said:

These guys are lavished with state-of-the-art facilities, coaching, training, medical support, etc. They get 100% of their tuition/room/board/books paid. They get tons of free meals, free tutoring, free clothes, free travel, and other benefits. Not to mention an education that, statistically, will increase their lifetime earning potential by literally millions of dollars.

When I was in college, I knew guys who would walk on with varsity teams solely for the benefit of priority registration, so they could get first enrollment crack at the classes they needed to graduate on time. There are some noisy malcontents out there; but I suspect most scholarship athletes understand what a screaming deal they're getting.
    It's great when the master gets more compensation than the employees do, even though they are the ones taking the significant physical risks.

Why do you hate Curtis Williams (RIP) anyway?

The artificial wage repression created by the NCAA really should be a federal antitrust violation.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Puff puff pass.
    I make more than my employees. If that's wrong I don't want to be right
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    This is the kind of quote that makes me fall in love with RaceBannon all over again. Kudos.

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Being the highest paid person on your shift @TacoBell reminds me of a story about a one eyed King.
    Jeezus what a natural doog. Has it all. The 1997 internet wants its material back
  • Licensing. Rights.

Players deserve them.

Case closed.

Fuck you EA Sports, UW Store, etc.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    I can't wait for 18 year olds from the inner city to start making hundreds of thousands of dollars. What could possibly go wrong?
  • SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,108 Swaye's Wigwam

TTJ said:

It's great when the master gets more compensation than the employees do, even though they are the ones taking the significant physical risks.

Why do you hate Curtis Williams (RIP) anyway?

The artificial wage repression created by the NCAA really should be a federal antitrust violation.

For once we completely disagree. When my foosball career didn't work out I became a ROTC bitch. Full scholly 300 for books and a hundred dollar a month stipend. As my pop would say "I was glad to get it".

Spent the next 21 getting blowed up. No regrets.

But I would love to have had the schollie trainers table and automatic pussy. And a tryout for the NFL.

NO sympathy fuck these kids if that's not enough.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    edited September 2013

I can't wait for 18 year olds from the inner city to start making hundreds of thousands of dollars. What could possibly go wrong?

Time to buy stock in Cadillac and Popeyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg6J1Skptbs
  • I can't wait for 18 year olds from the inner city to start making hundreds of thousands of dollars. What could possibly go wrong?

The NBA?

The NBA?
    October 29
  • I can't wait for 18 year olds from the inner city to start making hundreds of thousands of dollars. What could possibly go wrong?

The NBA?
    October 29
    The season is over.