Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New CNN Poll

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
Very interesting results

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

A couple of the items that stood out for me:

1) Moving more and more to Trump vs Hillary ... should be confirmed on that tomorrow
2) To the question for those that are not supporting the eventual candidate would they swing their support to the winning candidate, all of the major players (outside of Bernie) will fail to pick up at least 30% of the other voters ...
3) Not surprisingly, the most polarizing to the above question is Hillary and Trump

A couple of Teq thoughts on this:

1) It will be very interesting to watch going forward the levels of support in the swing states regarding vote totals to see where the momentum and passion is for the parties ... so far, it looks like the Republican voters are way more passionate and likely to go out and vote

2) Trump's rating to items 2-3 above was that he'd lose just under half of the other Republican vote while Hillary was going to lose in the mid 30% range of Bernie supporters. For the Republicans that don't vote for Trump, I wouldn't expect many to go to Hillary (outside those as Democrats posing as Republicans trying to vote for anybody but Trump). The question here is how many people will swing to the other side on Hillary.

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,580
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    If this scenario holds Hillary wins in a landslide.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

Very interesting results

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

A couple of the items that stood out for me:

1) Moving more and more to Trump vs Hillary ... should be confirmed on that tomorrow
    2) To the question for those that are not supporting the eventual candidate would they swing their support to the winning candidate, all of the major players (outside of Bernie) will fail to pick up at least 30% of the other voters ...
    3) Not surprisingly, the most polarizing to the above question is Hillary and Trump

A couple of Teq thoughts on this:

1) It will be very interesting to watch going forward the levels of support in the swing states regarding vote totals to see where the momentum and passion is for the parties ... so far, it looks like the Republican voters are way more passionate and likely to go out and vote

2) Trump's rating to items 2-3 above was that he'd lose just under half of the other Republican vote while Hillary was going to lose in the mid 30% range of Bernie supporters. For the Republicans that don't vote for Trump, I wouldn't expect many to go to Hillary (outside those as Democrats posing as Republicans trying to vote for anybody but Trump). The question here is how many people will swing to the other side on Hillary.

The 30% unfortunately is overstated. Those numbers are always higher during primaries. Once the primaries end, time will heal a lot of voters wounds. I would say you're probably looking at around 15%.

For Trump, I think those numbers are also overstated, but not to the same degree. The attacks and personal nature of the attacks between Trump, Cruz, and Rubio has created a much deeper divide between voters. I don't think 50% will decline to support Trump, but 25%-30% is completely reasonable.

But Tequila, you are correct about one important factor. It doesn't matter if 25-30% don't support you, as long as you are organically generating volume with new voters, which Trump is doing. Right now, the GOP is by far getting more voters at primaries than the Democrats. If this trend continues, it diminishes the likability numbers, as you can win by sure volume. Voter excitement and turnout was what propelled Obama in 2008 and 2012. Trump has that same effect. I'm starting to sour a bit on Trump, but he's an exponentially better option than Clinton.
  • Options
    I'm not sure ... it's going to be very interesting and this will be different than any election I think we've ever seen ...

Trump's bringing people to the polls ... that's pretty clear.

Hillary's as polarizing as any politician I've ever seen ... before Trump.

The Republican Party is in a constant battle of whether to head more right or more to the center. Trump's way left of where many in the party want to be. It may open the door for a 3rd party as those that want to go way right go that way and the Democrats are moving increasingly left (and alienating some of the members of their party that lean more towards the middle).

I tend to think that the right's hatred for Hillary will be greater than that for Trump ... and most realize that a vote that isn't against Hillary is equivalent to a vote for her.

Trump's bound to say shit that will get people to go crazy against him ... we still have no clue whether Hillary is ever going to get indicted or whatever.

Fascinating to watch.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Hillary being indicted should have already happened. Not going to happen now imo.

If I am not mistaken, every voting year comes down to 5 or 6 states?

Trump in the history of polls has never scored lower with voters on both sides.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-really-unpopular-with-general-election-voters/
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    jecornel said:

Hillary being indicted should have already happened. Not going to happen now imo.

If I am not mistaken, every voting year comes down to 5 or 6 states?

Trump in the history of polls has never scored lower with voters on both sides.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-really-unpopular-with-general-election-voters/

Again, we'll have to see how voting turnout is affected. Republicans mad at Trump aren't going to go vote for Hillary. They'll just elect not to vote. Trump would have to make up for this with increased turnout of first time or inconsistent voters, which he has done, to what extent, we don't know yet. Since we don't have a true idea yet of what increased voter activity we are looking at, it's really difficult to measure the impact of the likability numbers.

What we've seen this election year has never been seen before. Which is why the pundits have been horribly wrong at this point. There is no correlation that accurately holds up to this years election. The previous data is useless, given the variables we are seeing right now.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Trump will win NY, FLA, and Ohio

Game over
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    trump=plutocracy/demagogery
    clinton=nepotism

Can't we get our own candidates?
  • Options

Game over

Very much agree that this would be the case ...

It's amazing to me that Trump is beating Rubio by 20 points in Rubio's own home state ... that's pretty telling to me.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with the sentiment regarding Trump in that he's definitely not my ideal candidate given that I fall in the educated white class working wing of the party and there's a bunch he does that just makes me want to shake my head. But at the same time, when I look at my options, he's probably the best of the lot ... and in particular for the types of issues that I tend to care about (the economy, the economy, and security).

This is by far going to be the most fascinating of elections that I've ever seen and I think perhaps that any of us will see.

What is amusing to me is that Trump gets routinely beat up for not getting into massive policy discussions ... yet not only does he say more than a lot of people thinks he says, but he's got his opposition going away from talking policy and into taking shots at him while totally missing the mark. Trump calling a guy like Jeb Bush "low energy" works because that's what most people see when they see Bush ... a guy that you wouldn't necessarily fancy going into a room to have a serious meeting with Putin. When Trump calls Rubio "Little Marco" he's talking as much about his height as he is about the fact that he's a stuffed shirt that talks how his handlers want him to talk and tends to break under pressure ... again, another example of a guy that people don't want in a situation where they need to have confidence in the President to get things done.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Game over

I guess we have to let it play out.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Over the weekend Roger Stone reported to conspiracy websites that the Koch brothers/establishment are looking to push a new candidate if Rubio doesn't win Florida....that being possibly Mitt Romney. Interestingly, a Nebraska senator totally funded by the Kochs came out today and said he'd vote for a 3rd party candidate and not Trump.

This is totally fascinating and unpredictable. You could potentially have anywhere from 2 to 4 major candidates in the general election. If the GOP money refuses to get behind Trump then that means Hillary is essentially their 2nd choice, ahead of Trump. Don't see how a bigger field doesn't benefit Hillary.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Over the weekend Roger Stone reported to conspiracy websites that the Koch brothers/establishment are looking to push a new candidate if Rubio doesn't win Florida....that being possibly Mitt Romney. Interestingly, a Nebraska senator totally funded by the Kochs came out today and said he'd vote for a 3rd party candidate and not Trump.

This is totally fascinating and unpredictable. You could potentially have anywhere from 2 to 4 major candidates in the general election. If the GOP money refuses to get behind Trump then that means Hillary is essentially their 2nd choice, ahead of Trump. Don't see how a bigger field doesn't benefit Hillary.

Trump was supposed to be Hillary's Ross Perot, who made it possible for Bill to beat Bush 1. Trump double crossed them when he realized he doesn't have to go third party and he can win it all as a GOP.

That's my conspiracy
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Basically in the last week it sure seems like Romney is trying to get his name out there, he even called out Trump today on his KKK thing.

It would not shock me if something like that happened.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I think Bloomberg enters as an independent. His hope will be to keep a candidate from getting an electoral majority and get elected via senate. He definitely would have jumped in if it was Sanders-Trump. Might be too close to the Clintons.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Another variable to think about is how hard the media will go after Trump once he is named the nominee. Many conservative pundits see Trump a huge liability for the party (listen to any of the 770 guys not named Limbaugh) and may not defend him. Liberal pundits will hammer hard on the David Duke thing, the illegal immigrant hiring thing and will undoubtedly dig up more. Vying for the Republican nomination is very different than the general election. The things about Trump that got him popular on the right were utterly reviled by the left. In the primaries, the right was all that mattered.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Another variable to think about is how hard the media will go after Trump once he is named the nominee. Many conservative pundits see Trump a huge liability for the party (listen to any of the 770 guys not named Limbaugh) and may not defend him. Liberal pundits will hammer hard on the David Duke thing, the illegal immigrant hiring thing and will undoubtedly dig up more. Vying for the Republican nomination is very different than the general election. The things about Trump that got him popular on the right were utterly reviled by the left. In the primaries, the right was all that mattered.

As long as Hillary is running none of this matters

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Trump is bad for the Republican Party.......unless he wins.

Last I heard, the offshore betting sites (people actually putting their money where their mouth is rather than bloviating) has Hillary with a 54% chance of winning the Oval Office. Since we are a nation of laws, I hope Hildabeast gets indicted but there are so many libtards out there who don't care about the legal system as long as a lib wins. I think that's totally f'ed up and a sign of how deranged some people have become.

As for the Koch brothers, Trump doesn't really care since he's mostly self-funded.

As for running mates, I could see Trump picking Kasich (well-respected in the Republican Party, successful executive / governor of Ohio, also has experience in DC as he's a former Congressman too) or a Latino governor / Senator.

I've heard rumors that the Mayor of San Antonio (bright, rising Dem star) could be Hildabeast's running mate.

As for Hildabeast's legal troubles, things are still advancing and I am thankful for Judicial Watch's advocacy: businessinsider.com/judge-says-investigation-into-clintons-emails-can-proceed-2016-2
  • Options
    Could also see Christie playing a major role in a Trump campaign as well
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Tequilla said:

Could also see Christie playing a major role in a Trump campaign as well

It would be smart for Trump to align himself with a northern popular GOP VP. I would pick Kasich over Christie in that regard. With Trumps stance on immigration, he'll kill Hillary in the south. Trump is already popular in the north, and add a guy like Kasich to the ticket, Trump would be very difficult to beat in the Northeast.

If Trump wins the south, then takes Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania, Trump would lock up the nomination before the mountain time zone polls close.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Christie wants to be the next Attorney general. Don't think the endorsement was about the vp spot