Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Taylor Rapp

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
I'm going to get murdered for this, but i'm not nearly as high on him as everyone is here. Admittedly, I haven't seen him live, and maybe because he's a Washington kid some of you are more dialed in than me as far as his potential, but I don't see him having the type of impact year 1 that many are predicting.

Maybe to further show my bias, I was really high on James Sample. He was overshadowed by Shaq Thompson, but any kid coming out of Grant High School is usually a bad motherfucker and worth paying attention to. Sample was primarily a special teams guy his true frosh season, ended up getting hurt, and transferred out of the program. He has since been drafted to the NFL.

Strictly looking at film, I take Sample over Rapp any day. I'm not saying Rapp won't be good, don't twist, but to expect him to come in and be Lawyer Milloy day 1 seems unreasonable. I would put more money on JoJo having a breakout season than Rapp stepping in as an effective starter. An NFL caliber safety in Sample had nearly zero impact his true frosh season. Just offseason food for thought.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    So you are saying that you are disagreeing with the TSIO podcast crew?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I (shockingly) have been pretty busy and haven't listened to any of the podcasts recently. Just what i've gathered from the TBSers is that this kid is going to be better than Budda day 1. I just don't see it. SS is harder than FS. You need to be a bad bad man to make an impact there. That's a lot to ask from a TF. I like my JoJo in this one.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2016
    He looks quite good to me, but I do think a few folks are getting out a bit over their skis in projecting his impact as a freshman.

Probably because people get unreasonably jacked up when they watch highlights of a defensive player who is mercilessly fucking murdering ball carriers. Which Rapp does on HUDL, with the efficiency and ferocity of a ronin.

Yeah, that's against NWC 2A opponents, but whatever.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

He looks quite good to me, but I do think a few folks are getting out a bit over their skis in projecting his impact as a freshman.

Probably because people get unreasonably jacked up when they watch highlights of a defensive player who is mercilessly fucking murdering ball carriers. Which Rapp does on HUDL, with the efficiency and ferocity of a ronin.

Yeah, that's against NWC 2A opponents, but whatever.

Kentrell Love looks more physical than Rapp. Shaq was the #1 safety in the country and his impact wasn't game changing year 1. Milloy redshirted his TF year. Sample hit some people on special teams and blew his shoulder out. The hope should be JoJo takes the next step and Rapp can develop in the shadows. Otherwise warm up the surgeons hands, I see a shoulder surgery in the near future.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

I (shockingly) have been pretty busy and haven't listened to any of the podcasts recently. Just what i've gathered from the TBSers is that this kid is going to be better than Budda day 1. I just don't see it. SS is harder than FS. You need to be a bad bad man to make an impact there. That's a lot to ask from a TF. I like my JoJo in this one.
    I'll leave the questioning of your priorities to Dennis ...

I don't disagree that asking a true freshman to come in and be a bad ass Day 1 is probably asking for a lot. Anybody saying that he's going to be better than Budda immediately is off their rocker.

That being said, given that we had a decided underwhelming performance at the position last year, I do think that there's an opportunity for Rapp to come in and contribute this year.

I would love to see JoJo take hold of the job to the point where the coaches would feel comfortable enough to consider redshirting Rapp. That's honestly an ideal scenario.

But from what I saw on film, Rapp has the ability to come in from Day 1 and hit at the PAC level. I also think that getting in early, being able to go through offseason weight training, and Spring Ball will also help prepare him better to contribute early. And I think the coaches are expecting that he will.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No fucking way Browning starts as a true freshman.

I actually was the first to say he would, but still.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    As one of the top Rapp supporters out there I'll say that I'm not expecting him to light the world on fire his first year. But I think in his junior and senior years I would be surprised if he wasn't first team all conference (which is exactly what would have happened at UW for Sample if an adult was in charge)

Like I've said for awhile, I think he starts at some point in the year.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Browning didn't have to hit people and cover tight ends.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

Browning was also the only functional QB on campus, apparently.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,514
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think what your* saying is that you hate Asian-Americans and you believe internment should've been permanent.

I happen to disagree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I support this message
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

No but he sure the fuck had to play pitch and catch behind a line that plays 2 Mississippi
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

No but he sure the fuck had to play pitch and catch behind a line that plays 2 Mississippi
    I wasn't questioning his mental ability, just that safeties have a much higher physical bar to reach and that as freshman it isn't always possible.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2016
    Budda was actually pretty horrible his first two games at UW. Hawaii repeatedly targeted him with their 29 year old slot WR. Budda was lucky the Hawaii QB was so bad. Then he dropped a pick off his facemask against Eastern and was burned a few more times. By Pac 12 play though, he started to look good.

I like Rapp, but I agree that the hype has probably gotten to be a bit much. I like Jojo to start as well. We'll see if Rapp can beat out Turner for the back up job. My guess is he will.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited February 2016

I wasn't questioning his mental ability, just that safeties have a much higher physical bar to reach and that as freshman it isn't always possible.
    Shaq Thompson could have started as strong safety playing at 210 lbs as a true freshman, after all he was the number 1 ranked safety prospect in 2012, Rapp is an early entry 200lb kid who will probably see 205lbs by fall with the UW nutrition and weight training , Sample was 6'2 195 wet

Shaq Thompson 6'2" 210
    Taylor Rapp 6'0 200

James Sample 6'2 195
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,548
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't trust a man named Taylor.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Some of you just hate the Rapp culture.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This site is shit and your all fagZ.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think what your* saying is that you hate Asian-Americans and you believe internment should've been permanent.

I happen to disagree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Considering your hatred of white columbian running backs, and chincredible wr, this should be your wheelhouse