Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

College basketball is bad this year

JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited February 2016 in Payton's Place
Yes road dog covered that it's bad but can we find a team that is not horrible that maybe offers some value if say, we were degenerate gamblers who need action?

I thought I learned my lesson from years past of picking stupid teams like SDSU and Creighton to make final fours but this year it appears to be wide open. While ultimately a blue blood like UNC may get the overall one seed and run the table who are the 5/6/7 seeds that can make a big run. Not necessarily mid majors at all because I'm convinced Xavier and Nova just ain't gonna get it done in crunch time. I'm interested in power 5 teams that have the capability to make a run after just a good to decent regular season? Or ones that aren't true royalty but look like they can play.

West Virginia?
Oregon?
Texas?

Any other teams ? Dayton (America's team)

I think if Texas and Shaka smart can get like a 4 seed they are fucking dangerous because coaching matters

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I know 95% of this board don't want to see it, but Oregon has a serious chance to make a run. Oregon has arguably one of the most athletic front courts in the country with brooks, Boucher, cook, and bell. I also feel they have the best coach in the PAC 12 in Altman.

I don't think they'll win it all, but an elite 8 birth is totally in the cards, and if a little luck goes their way, maybe a final four birth.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oregon is certainly a sweet 16 team at least
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bet the kid's college fund on Louisville. You'll thank me later.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Doogles said:

With SMU and now Louisville out of contention, that basically opens up two more at-larges this year. The NCAA tournament is almost like a bowl game. Not making it there should get you fired no matter where you're coaching.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Doogles said:

With SMU and now Louisville out of contention, that basically opens up two more at-larges this year. The NCAA tournament is almost like a bowl game. Not making it there should get you fired no matter where you're coaching.
    If there weren't auto-bids to 25 shitty schools I'd agree. As it is now, top-40 teams make it, plus several mid-major schools (which admittedly make the tournament fun). Even if it truly were the top 68 schools, it would still only be 68/347 = top 19.5% of schools compared to over 50% for bowls.

P5 schools should still make it a minimum of 3/5 years though.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Doogles said:

If there weren't auto-bids to 25 shitty schools I'd agree. As it is now, top-40 teams make it, plus several mid-major schools (which admittedly make the tournament fun). Even if it truly were the top 68 schools, it would still only be 68/347 = top 19.5% of schools compared to over 50% for bowls.

P5 schools should still make it a minimum of 3/5 years though.
    I'll concede, plus something I didn't consider. For bowl games, if you win 6, you are in regardless of your schedule, or apparently even 5 if you have the grades. The NCAA selection committee actually looks closely at strength of schedule, which is why teams with 25 wins still get left out over 18 win teams.

Do to parity, this year is different. But in most years, there's really only 8-10 teams that have a reasonable chance to win it. I'm also still pissed about these stupid play-in games....wait not PC, I mean the "first round". Give us a perfect 64, no more, no fewer, and call it good.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The poont remains that two teams that were locks won't dance and that means 2 P5 teams that normally would be bumped for shit tier Cinderellas have an extra chance. UW could definitely be the beneficiary of 1 of those spots.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thread title didn't need the "this year" part IMHO.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Thread title didn't need the "this year" part IMHO.

low tweak
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

I know they beat North Carolina, but they have struggled to score the other 2-3 times I have watched them.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #myCavs get over the hump to the FF this year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I know they beat North Carolina, but they have struggled to score the other 2-3 times I have watched them.
    Saw the news on Komo4. No link. Wealth of knowledge at my fingertips.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Saw the news on Komo4. No link. Wealth of knowledge at my fingertips.
    It's almost like you left mom's basement and went to a job or something.