Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Today in liberty

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter

Appeals court decision casts doubt on Maryland’s assault weapons ban

A federal appeals court on Thursday cast doubt on the legality of Maryland’s 2013 ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines passed after the mass shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

The 2-1 decision by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit sends the gun-control law back to a lower court for review because it “implicates the core protection of the Second Amendment.”

In its majority opinion, written by Chief Judge William B. Traxler Jr., the court found that the Maryland law “significantly burdens the exercise of the right to arm oneself at home.”

The law bans more than 45 types of assault weapons and clips that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Proponents of the law said such weapons are disproportionately used in mass acts of violence and rarely for self-defense. A federal law banning assault weapons expired in 2004.

A group of gun store owners and others challenged the constitutionality of the law, saying that it violated their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Opponents of the ban, including the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association and the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association, have said that the prohibited firearms are not military weapons. Many owners have bought the guns for lawful purposes such as self-defense, target practice and hunting.
Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) helped pass the law as a state senator, said the majority opinion got it wrong.

“I think it’s just common sense that the Second Amendment does not give people a right to own military-style assault weapons,” he said Thursday.
Never-you-mind that "assault weapon" is an entirely regulatory crafted term that has no real technical meaning, and that military-style does not actually mean fully automatic.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,447
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Where's all our TSA freedom fighters now?
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye said:

Having lived in Maryland, against my choice, for several years, I can say with authority that the entire state should fall into the ocean. Fuck that place.

I feel similarly about Illinois after 3 unhappy years there.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Where's all our TSA freedom fighters now?

I must have missed the Ar-15 clause of the 2nd amendment.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

That's what made the TSA thread so amusing. You are more than happy to give up other people's freedoms. Just don't delay you at the airport

Does the 2nd amendment say all arms except scary ones that get panties in a wad?

It was about the NSA. But still.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's what made the TSA thread so amusing. You are more than happy to give up other people's freedoms. Just don't delay you at the airport

Does the 2nd amendment say all arms except scary ones that get panties in a wad?

It was about the NSA. But still.
    Yeah but you know
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,883
    Swaye said:

Having lived in Maryland, against my choice, for several years, I can say with authority that the entire state should fall into the ocean. Fuck that place.

Lived there for awhile too. That state is as fucked as any place on this planet. Easily the most racist place I have ever been. Fucked up accents too. Will never go back.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

different. The 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms, but that right is not unlimited (I actually disagree with this ban, I'm more against the massive magazine clips that people use in these mass shootings).
    This is not stripping you of your right to bear arms like the TSA and NSA are stripping you of your privacy.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Lived there for awhile too. That state is as fucked as any place on this planet. Easily the most racist place I have ever been. Fucked up accents too. Will never go back.
    I knew I liked you.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Re; TSA

What if I like the anal probe?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,538
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baltimore. Enough said on that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

different. The 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms, but that right is not unlimited (I actually disagree with this ban, I'm more against the massive magazine clips that people use in these mass shootings).
    This is not stripping you of your right to bear arms like the TSA and NSA are stripping you of your privacy.
    What language limits the right?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

Nothing. Just going off of what was in the last supreme court decision on the issue
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited February 2016

A federal appeals court on Thursday cast doubt on the legality of Maryland’s 2013 ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines passed after the mass shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

The 2-1 decision by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit sends the gun-control law back to a lower court for review because it “implicates the core protection of the Second Amendment.”

In its majority opinion, written by Chief Judge William B. Traxler Jr., the court found that the Maryland law “significantly burdens the exercise of the right to arm oneself at home.”

The law bans more than 45 types of assault weapons and clips that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Proponents of the law said such weapons are disproportionately used in mass acts of violence and rarely for self-defense. A federal law banning assault weapons expired in 2004.

A group of gun store owners and others challenged the constitutionality of the law, saying that it violated their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Opponents of the ban, including the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association and the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association, have said that the prohibited firearms are not military weapons. Many owners have bought the guns for lawful purposes such as self-defense, target practice and hunting.
    Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) helped pass the law as a state senator, said the majority opinion got it wrong.

“I think it’s just common sense that the Second Amendment does not give people a right to own military-style assault weapons,” he said Thursday.
    Never-you-mind that "assault weapon" is an entirely regulatory crafted term that has no real technical meaning, and that military-style does not actually mean fully automatic.
    Although, this is a military style assault weapon (repeating rifle with a 30 round magazine) that the founders would have been aware of (Okay, it is not semi-automatic but is basically like a bolt-action):
    The Girardoni air rifle was in service with the Austrian army from 1780 to around 1815. The advantages of a high rate of fire, no smoke from propellants, and low muzzle report granted it initial acceptance, but it was eventually removed from service for several reasons. While the detachable air reservoir was capable of around 30 shots it took nearly 1,500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs. Later, a wagon-mounted pump was provided. The reservoirs, made from hammered sheet iron held together with rivets and sealed by brazing, proved very difficult to manufacture using the techniques of the period and were always in short supply.

In addition, the weapon was very delicate and a small break in the reservoir could make it inoperable. Finally, it was very different from any other weapon of the time and any soldier using it needed to be highly trained.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition used the rifle in the demonstrations that they performed for nearly every Native American tribe they encountered on the expedition.[1][2]

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,538
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People should be able to own tanks and attack helicopters.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Although, this is a military style assault weapon (repeating rifle with a 30 round magazine) that the founders would have been aware of (Okay, it is not semi-automatic but is basically like a bolt-action):
    The Girardoni air rifle was in service with the Austrian army from 1780 to around 1815. The advantages of a high rate of fire, no smoke from propellants, and low muzzle report granted it initial acceptance, but it was eventually removed from service for several reasons. While the detachable air reservoir was capable of around 30 shots it took nearly 1,500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs. Later, a wagon-mounted pump was provided. The reservoirs, made from hammered sheet iron held together with rivets and sealed by brazing, proved very difficult to manufacture using the techniques of the period and were always in short supply.

In addition, the weapon was very delicate and a small break in the reservoir could make it inoperable. Finally, it was very different from any other weapon of the time and any soldier using it needed to be highly trained.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition used the rifle in the demonstrations that they performed for nearly every Native American tribe they encountered on the expedition.[1][2]

I have some nice buffalo hide paintings of this event handed down to me from my Dad's second Dad.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dhdawg said:

What language says unlimited? It says right to bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't say, right to bear any arm you choose.

You can't possess a fully automatic weapon, a tank, an attack helicopter, a fighter jet,, etc.