Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Don James has cancer

"Former University of Washington football coach Don James, who underwent surgery earlier this month, is currently resting and recovering at home. On Monday, he'll begin chemotherapy treatment for a malignant tumor on his pancreas.

Coach James and his family are grateful for the many prayers and encouraging words and ask that they continue. The family also asks for privacy as they fight this battle."

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,163 Founders Club
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Lets get him a statue already, fuckkk
  • PhilBleenorPhilBleenor Member Posts: 54
    I'm working on the cure right now
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    That's the end of that. Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. I have seen three people go through it. If it is the Steve Jobs kind, which is very uncommon, there is hope. In 99% of the cases, it curtains.

Based on what I have seen, if I had that, I would not do chemo, but spend what ever time I had left trying not to feel like hell. You can either live a year managing your pain, or live 18 months sicker than shit.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    This is disappointing news, but it appears there is a great example of a first class Husky citizen selflessly putting the program ahead of his own concerns. What follows is speculative conjecture, but probable given familiarity of witnessing my father fight and finally succumb to pancreatic cancer.

Since Don James has had surgery and is scheduled to begin chemotherapy, I suspect he knew the diagnosis well before he spoke to the football team 20 years to the day after he gave his abrupt resignation as head coach. The decision to resign may have been the most difficult choice he has ever made, and I doubt he anticipated the depths to which the program sank during the past two decades. He may have felt he owed the program something and having tremendous fortitude, a cancer diagnosis was not going to interfere with celebrating the grand opening of the new Husky Stadium.

I was there for the game and can still invoke the goose bumps I felt and hear the roar when he was honored during a break in the game. Suspecting he knew of his diagnosis and kept it private so as not to draw attention and sympathy toward him and detract from the team and the new stadium is a remarkable display of selfless class and respect for the football program he obviously still loves. In the context of how he was treated by the UW administration and then AD prior to his resignation, and by the media, Don James’ present actions are exemplary by the highest standards.

My admiration for Don James increases and I hope the time for eulogies is still a long way off.

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

That's the end of that. Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. I have seen three people go through it. If it is the Steve Jobs kind, which is very uncommon, there is hope. In 99% of the cases, it curtains.

Based on what I have seen, if I had that, I would not do chemo, but spend what ever time I had left trying not to feel like hell. You can either live a year managing your pain, or live 18 months sicker than shit.

Pancreatic cancer superiority guy.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

my poast was much crisper.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    TheGlove said:

RIP DJ.

RIP? chump fuck!

This is disappointing news, but it appears there is a great example of a first class Husky citizen selflessly putting the program ahead of his own concerns. What follows is speculative conjecture, but probable given familiarity of witnessing my father fight and finally succumb to pancreatic cancer.

Since Don James has had surgery and is scheduled to begin chemotherapy, I suspect he knew the diagnosis well before he spoke to the football team 20 years to the day after he gave his abrupt resignation as head coach. The decision to resign may have been the most difficult choice he has ever made, and I doubt he anticipated the depths to which the program sank during the past two decades. He may have felt he owed the program something and having tremendous fortitude, a cancer diagnosis was not going to interfere with celebrating the grand opening of the new Husky Stadium.

I was there for the game and can still invoke the goose bumps I felt and hear the roar when he was honored during a break in the game. Suspecting he knew of his diagnosis and kept it private so as not to draw attention and sympathy toward him and detract from the team and the new stadium is a remarkable display of selfless class and respect for the football program he obviously still loves. In the context of how he was treated by the UW administration and then AD prior to his resignation, and by the media, Don James’ present actions are exemplary by the highest standards.

My admiration for Don James increases and I hope the time for eulogies is still a long way off.

But only if he has a decent quality of life. This type of cancer is a mother fucker.

I'm working on the cure right now

Since you knew this was going to happen years ago, I'm a bit upset you didn't have the cure ready to go by now.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Good point Damone. That is often the dichotomy that exists those with cancer and families dealing with the big C, and how best to attack the future. I blame fucking Hedges!
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    I just hope Don James isn't rolling over in his grave after hearing this news.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    UW should cancel the game this Saturday so the healing can begin.

But only if he has a decent quality of life. This type of cancer is a mother fucker.
    Agree 100%. He has suffered plenty.
    edited September 2013

UW should cancel forfeit the game this Saturday so the healing can begin.

Then Woody should tell Sark he must still win 10 regular games this season or be fired.