Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

No words, just... no words

We were having lunch at Highland Park Golf Course in Birmingham, Ala., eating hot dogs, sipping sweet tea and remembering. Three years ago, Bobby Bowden and I were discussing his legendary coaching career when the subject suddenly turned to Nebraska football fans.
I mentioned to Bowden that I grew up in Lincoln. Immediately, Bowden's mind flashed back to the fall of 1980. He had taken his Seminoles into Memorial Stadium and, with less than a minute remaining in the fourth quarter, Florida State clung to an 18-14 lead. I was nine-years-old and sitting in the West stadium stands that afternoon, and three decades later Bowden and I replayed how Nebraska quarterback Jeff Quinn proceeded to fumble the ball at the Seminoles' three-yard line. Game over.
Then something stunning happened -- something Bowden remembered all those years later with the vivid detail of a firstborn's wedding. The crowd in Lincoln rose to its feet in appreciation of the underdog 'Noles. At first it was a polite clap, but then the noise swelled into one of the loudest roars of the day. As Bowden recalled the moment at lunch that afternoon in Birmingham, he got goosebumps.
"What a moment," Bowden said, a smile lighting his face. "Wow. The classiest thing I ever experienced."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130917/bo-pelini-nebraska-fans/#ixzz2fG0SFfZV

I thought we were their first

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    That is said. That makes it not as special if NU fans are that classy to every team that beats them.

As the article points out, every fan base has their share of idiots, I think the classy NU fans will let this one blow over.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    those classy fans may have since gotten too old to attend games perhaps?
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

We were having lunch at Highland Park Golf Course in Birmingham, Ala., eating hot dogs, sipping sweet tea and remembering. Three years ago, Bobby Bowden and I were discussing his legendary coaching career when the subject suddenly turned to Nebraska football fans.
    I mentioned to Bowden that I grew up in Lincoln. Immediately, Bowden's mind flashed back to the fall of 1980. He had taken his Seminoles into Memorial Stadium and, with less than a minute remaining in the fourth quarter, Florida State clung to an 18-14 lead. I was nine-years-old and sitting in the West stadium stands that afternoon, and three decades later Bowden and I replayed how Nebraska quarterback Jeff Quinn proceeded to fumble the ball at the Seminoles' three-yard line. Game over.
    Then something stunning happened -- something Bowden remembered all those years later with the vivid detail of a firstborn's wedding. The crowd in Lincoln rose to its feet in appreciation of the underdog 'Noles. At first it was a polite clap, but then the noise swelled into one of the loudest roars of the day. As Bowden recalled the moment at lunch that afternoon in Birmingham, he got goosebumps.
    "What a moment," Bowden said, a smile lighting his face. "Wow. The classiest thing I ever experienced."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130917/bo-pelini-nebraska-fans/#ixzz2fG0SFfZV

Oh My God!! Total bullshit with a cornhusker flavor....... I'd demand a link from the linkster, but you've already resorted to referencing the all-time champion of bullshit, SI.

I was at that game in Lincoln in 1991 when BJH led the Huskies to a 36-21 come from behind win on NU turf. I was there with 10 Cornhusker fans from my extended Nebraska family for whom I had bought tickets and can recall NO postgame applause from the stands for the visiting victors. I was totally shunned afterwards on the long walk back to the hotel while subjected to a roundhouse condemnation of NU's coaching staff. No praise or congrads for the Huskies, only the question: "What took you guys so long?".

I still hear bitching from the Nebraska branch of my family about how we "homered" them with Pac-10 officiating the next year in Husky Stadium. It's been my experience while growing up in a NU alumni family that Cornhusker fans are polite about football, stay away from smack toward their opponents, and are highly reluctant if not poor losers in the sense that they always blame their own football program when they don't or can't win rather than ever give their opponents, especially rivals, any credit.

In other words, Cornhusker fans are a lot like us........ or how we used to be in our glory days and hope to be again some day. The myths about over-the-top NU sportsmanship are total bullshit.

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Was Spleenor's best friend John L. Smith at the table too? Fucking bullshitting lying bitch!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,163 Founders Club
  • Tailgater said:

Oh My God!! Total bullshit with a cornhusker flavor....... I'd demand a link from the linkster, but you've already resorted to referencing the all-time champion of bullshit, SI.

I was at that game in Lincoln in 1991 when BJH led the Huskies to a 36-21 come from behind win on NU turf. I was there with 10 Cornhusker fans from my extended Nebraska family for whom I had bought tickets and can recall NO postgame applause from the stands for the visiting victors. I was totally shunned afterwards on the long walk back to the hotel while subjected to a roundhouse condemnation of NU's coaching staff. No praise or congrads for the Huskies, only the question: "What took you guys so long?".

I still hear bitching from the Nebraska branch of my family about how we "homered" them with Pac-10 officiating the next year in Husky Stadium. It's been my experience while growing up in a NU alumni family that Cornhusker fans are polite about football, stay away from smack toward their opponents, and are highly reluctant if not poor losers in the sense that they always blame their own football program when they don't or can't win rather than ever give their opponents, especially rivals, any credit.

In other words, Cornhusker fans are a lot like us........ or how we used to be in our glory days and hope to be again some day. The myths about over-the-top NU sportsmanship are total bullshit.

The best advice might be to lurk awhile and get acclimated to the environment before posting. Given a little time, you'll "get it" and really come to enjoy this place. Before you know it, you might become a regular too.