Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs U$C OFFICIAL gamethread

2»

Comments

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Before the trip you would be happy with a split ... but today's game made our win over USC look way more like a fluke than not ... if we play USC in Vegas I expect them to beat us

It was a fluke.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Before the trip you would be happy with a split ... but today's game made our win over USC look way more like a fluke than not ... if we play USC in Vegas I expect them to beat us

It was a fluke.
    We? forgot to injure one of their best players this time around.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Letting the other team shoot 52% from the field is just awful defense.

Only 52%? When you play defense that allows the opponent to put on a lay-in/dunk drill ala the Washington generals vs the globetrotters that's what happens.

What year did the game pass me by that says giving up 30-40 ppg in gimme's is the way to win games?

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't defend Romar, but to expect a team of frosh to be very good let alone defensively isn't going to happen. He put himself in this position by horrible recruiting In previous seasons, but people can't expect a well oiled machine out of 18 yr olds plus AA.

Freshman across the country are horrible defenders. Put 4 on the court at one time and it is like a free for all. Without AA this team would be downright awful. As in 8 win awful. But he has meant so much to the team for some many reasons.

Now if we could just get him to teach romar how to call a time out

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

I don't defend Romar, but to expect a team of frosh to be very good let alone defensively isn't going to happen. He put himself in this position by horrible recruiting In previous seasons, but people can't expect a well oiled machine out of 18 yr olds plus AA.

Freshman across the country are horrible defenders. Put 4 on the court at one time and it is like a free for all. Without AA this team would be downright awful. As in 8 win awful. But he has meant so much to the team for some many reasons.

I agree with what you say, it's just a matter of degree. We are 314th out of 351 D1 BB programs in points allowed. We are also 2nd out of 351 teams in fouls committed/game. For a coach who preaches defense, not good.

UW is not just bad on defense, they are fucking horrible. The number of layups and dunks allowed is insane. No doubt, a chunk of that has to do with young players. But then again, a chunk of it has to do with Romar.

How about some zone mixed in with some trapping. And maybe, just maybe, they don't have to switch every fucking screen 30' from the basket so that our gimpy "center" doesn't have to guard the opponents PG and our small guards don't end up defending the post against someone a foot taller. UW is making 7' slow white guys look like all-americans.

If Romar is anything, he's stubborn. Unfortunately, stubborn + stupid is not a recipe for success.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,440
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

I agree with what you say, it's just a matter of degree. We are 314th out of 351 D1 BB programs in points allowed. We are also 2nd out of 351 teams in fouls committed/game. For a coach who preaches defense, not good.

UW is not just bad on defense, they are fucking horrible. The number of layups and dunks allowed is insane. No doubt, a chunk of that has to do with young players. But then again, a chunk of it has to do with Romar.

How about some zone mixed in with some trapping. And maybe, just maybe, they don't have to switch every fucking screen 30' from the basket so that our gimpy "center" doesn't have to guard the opponents PG and our small guards don't end up defending the post against someone a foot taller. UW is making 7' slow white guys look like all-americans.

If Romar is anything, he's stubborn. Unfortunately, stubborn + stupid is not a recipe for success.

• Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    The constant switching on the shirt screens is absolutely ridiculous. There's a time and place for switching, but everytime? I watch a lot of college hoops and nobody plays it like we? Do.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    haie said:

HuskyInAZ said:

• Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2016
    I wasn't able to watch the game (Ma cancelled the sports pack when I didn't do my chores) and while I'm ok with a split in LA, the stats are fucking terrible. There's no way you can win with this type of production:

Dominic Green: 5 points on 5 shots
    David Crisp: 2 points on 7 shots
    Andrews: 15 points on 14 shots
    Murray: 18 points on 17 shots
    Matisse Thybule: 8 points on 10 shots
    Chriss: 18 points on 13 shots. When that's your most efficient effort besides Dorsey's 6 pts on 2 shots, you're going to fucking lose.