Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I wanna be a Husky Beatwriter for a day.

Just watched the interview with Justin Wilcox (whom I like, for the most part). The Seattle media are such panzies. They ask him about the D-line, but for the 1,298th day in a row, none them ask the fundamental question: "Are you concerned about the lack of size and the lack of quality depth on the defensive line?"

To which he might reply: "Which publication do you write for, and who are you?"

A real news source, and I'm somebody that won't ask soft questions just to "be accepted by the football program."

Link to Wilcox interview: youtube.com/watch?v=cJVEhzN_fCU

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,152 Founders Club
    Would you ask about push from the middle and heat from the edge?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    You're already a meatbeater, so your on your way.
  • I'd ask the players the difference between Wilcox 2012 and Wilcox 2013
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Lack of size? 320 and 280 to start? Our ends are all about heat from the edge. Uh Passion, Josh Shirley is the exact same size as Donald Jones, maybe bigger, and Shirley will shatter his sack total. Our interior Dline weighs about the same as the championship squad total.
  • volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    yes, depth on the DL is an issue. we've covered that a lot. welcome to HH. it's truly alarming we're here at this stage in year 5. even the most basic fucktard doog should see this as a concern. that's on sark and that's case closed. there is some promising youth in the fold which is nice...but we know one how that saying goes. let it play out. however, with the true criticism out of the way, re: the actual product on the field...i actually have seen some bright spots.

i beg to ask the simplest of simple questions....but when you watched these last two games could you not see #71? He was fucking disruptive in both games and played mean. he is a bad motherfucker. all over the field, making plays, creating opportunities for LBs and causing total havoc anywhere he goes. his 15yd PF penalty vs illinois was bullshit, qb was still in bounds (imo, he was way more in bounds than out of bounds with the threat to juke upfiled) and shelton fucking clocked him. when football was football, that is as clean as clean gets. today it's different, especially with qbs, and yes i guess technically he should know that and not have hit him. but fuck, i'd rather have 11 danny shelton mentalities running around than anything passive. if i am head coach, and if any opponent is inbounds, or intending to juke on the sideline, you are getting hit. imo, keep making that play, somethings are just worth it and to me that screams yes. install some fear in the opponent for a change.

and with that said, every team would love two danny shelton's in the middle, but that rarely happens. check the facts. evan hudson is actually a pretty decent interior guy vs the run. clogs up space and plays pretty low. could/should there be someone better than a walk on converted TE as your #2 DT at this juncture in sark's career, yes that's obvious. but watching the games....he hasn't looked too out of place vs the run. vs the pass, not much of anything outside of a stalemate happens, so that's an obvious downside. wilcox has actually used a lot of interior LB blitzes that have gotten to the qb, and in some capacity disrupted the play. if every team could create havoc solely with their front 4, there would have to be more Alabama's created because those kids that can do that effectively aren't exactly plentiful in nature. trying to be somewhat objective here.

Kikaha shows up and plays with great tenacity and strength. I see him only getting better as his confidence builds. His ceiling is super high if his body is right and he surely knows where the weight room is, so he's taking the right precautions. Shirley is what he is, which is a pretty serviceable pass rusher who has the #'s to prove it. he's looked good so far for what he's asked to do. littleton has shown flashes of tenacious effort and great speed. joe mathis is lost and playing on pure athletic ability, but you can easily see his upside is through the roof.

beyond that, it gets murky from what i've witnessed. not a lot of real standouts from my novice early take. okay way too tequila.
  • LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    Beat away.....the last job I would want to do for a day.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    You'd probably do much better than most of the hacks in the business. Most sportswriters want to move to the "hard news" sections, and thus are usually disgruntled weenies. Few give a shit about sports, which you obviously do.

You *could* write about sports for this here site, and Derek would probably pin your poasts and such.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,163 Founders Club

yes, depth on the DL is an issue. we've covered that a lot. welcome to HH. it's truly alarming we're here at this stage in year 5. even the most basic fucktard doog should see this as a concern. that's on sark and that's case closed. there is some promising youth in the fold which is nice...but we know one how that saying goes. let it play out. however, with the true criticism out of the way, re: the actual product on the field...i actually have seen some bright spots.

i beg to ask the simplest of simple questions....but when you watched these last two games could you not see #71? He was fucking disruptive in both games and played mean. he is a bad motherfucker. all over the field, making plays, creating opportunities for LBs and causing total havoc anywhere he goes. his 15yd PF penalty vs illinois was bullshit, qb was still in bounds (imo, he was way more in bounds than out of bounds with the threat to juke upfiled) and shelton fucking clocked him. when football was football, that is as clean as clean gets. today it's different, especially with qbs, and yes i guess technically he should know that and not have hit him. but fuck, i'd rather have 11 danny shelton mentalities running around than anything passive. if i am head coach, and if any opponent is inbounds, or intending to juke on the sideline, you are getting hit. imo, keep making that play, somethings are just worth it and to me that screams yes. install some fear in the opponent for a change.

and with that said, every team would love two danny shelton's in the middle, but that rarely happens. check the facts. evan hudson is actually a pretty decent interior guy vs the run. clogs up space and plays pretty low. could/should there be someone better than a walk on converted TE as your #2 DT at this juncture in sark's career, yes that's obvious. but watching the games....he hasn't looked too out of place vs the run. vs the pass, not much of anything outside of a stalemate happens, so that's an obvious downside. wilcox has actually used a lot of interior LB blitzes that have gotten to the qb, and in some capacity disrupted the play. if every team could create havoc solely with their front 4, there would have to be more Alabama's created because those kids that can do that effectively aren't exactly plentiful in nature. trying to be somewhat objective here.

Kikaha shows up and plays with great tenacity and strength. I see him only getting better as his confidence builds. His ceiling is super high if his body is right and he surely knows where the weight room is, so he's taking the right precautions. Shirley is what he is, which is a pretty serviceable pass rusher who has the #'s to prove it. he's looked good so far for what he's asked to do. littleton has shown flashes of tenacious effort and great speed. joe mathis is lost and playing on pure athletic ability, but you can easily see his upside is through the roof.

beyond that, it gets murky from what i've witnessed. not a lot of real standouts from my novice early take. okay way too tequila.

Shut the fuck up Aandy
  • jmc84jmc84 Member Posts: 499

Lack of size? 320 and 280 to start? Our ends are all about heat from the edge. Uh Passion, Josh Shirley is the exact same size as Donald Jones, maybe bigger, and Shirley will shatter his sack total. Our interior Dline weighs about the same as the championship squad total.

You realize that the championship team was 22 years ago and that players today are bigger, stronger, and faster, right? Comparing weights of DL that many years apart is fucktarded.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    our D-line is why we're going to get plungered by Stanford and UCLA. We haven't yet faced a true balanced attack. When we do we're screwed
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333

Are you getting paid by the letter, Tequilla???
    By the character. Probably had periods, commas, hyphens, and symbols in his contract.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

You're already a meatbeater, so your on your way.

not very classy.