Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Levi Onwuzrike Officially Committing Jan. 20th

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Any theories on why his ranking is so low in Rivals and ESPN? I know recruiting rankings suck, but generally if a kid is this exciting the rankings reflect that. Scout likes him a lot but the others don't. Curious.

Others may have better insight to that than I do, but this at least in my mind could be the case where the recruiting fucktards rank kids as much on what they do today versus what they will do down the road whereas coaches are focused more on what they will be down the road versus what they are now.

I'm not sure how much he participated in the camp circuit or whatnot (not participating I'm sure could also have dropped him), but if he showed up to a few and had a rough day or two (possible with some of the technique issues I noted - notably that he can play a little too upright at times), he could have been downgraded by those that are focusing more on the here and now.

By all accounts it sounds like he fits Pete's mold of getting players that are working with something in the brain department. His performance in a top league is more telling to me than any camp circuit or whatever in terms of what he does on the field. This is a very, very strong get and proves that @CokeGreaterThanPepsi and @Dennis_DeYoung really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Texas recruiting (see the greatest podcast ever ... TSIO ... for more details).
    TL;DR: I don't know.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

dnc said:

Any theories on why his ranking is so low in Rivals and ESPN? I know recruiting rankings suck, but generally if a kid is this exciting the rankings reflect that. Scout likes him a lot but the others don't. Curious.

Cause Scout works for Kim.
    So Kim's getting random DE's from Texas an extra star way before they seem like UW has a legitimate chance with them?

I'm all for bashing Kim, but I doubt he had anything to do with this.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I finally got around to watching his Hudl. Looks pretty damn good. Quick, strong & mean.

You can definitely take away from the film that for a kid his size, he's got some special athletic ability to work with. I thought he was a little raw with technique and whatnot but even playing in one of the best HS districts not only in Texas but probably the nation, he was able to consistently get away with it.

He's the kind of kid that in my mind if we're able to redshirt him, bet him a year in the weight room, and really work on harnessing his technique could be a dynamite contributor as a RS Frosh in a similar manner to how Greg Gaines was.
    Other than Dissly, Kawasaki has redshirted all frosh linemen. I have a feeling he will continue with this. Especially since we have Scrempos, Potato, McCoy, etc. all coming off a redshirt year. Unlike Sark, he can wait a year to play with his new toys
    I think the Gaines model is exactly the model that we'll see with this staff going forward.

If a true freshman is far and away one of our better options in the 2 deeps and could be needed in depth, etc., then you play him. This has happened a lot with our secondary over the last couple of years, Gaskin last year, Browning, etc.

Last year, Gaines was definitely good enough to be in the rotation. However, with Shelton, Hudson, and Qualls in play (among others), Gaines wasn't going to get enough snaps to make it worth his while to play early.

I expect that that's the plan for the entire roster going forward.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I like to say that one Dallas commit justifies spending all that time whiffing on the other Texas recruits, I do that. @Tequillafs
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    If we land King Kong the DL rotation and competition will be awesome, aka 10 win-ish.
  • Options
    MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment
    @JECAR I literally lol'd at my desk at work
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I'll be in the bathroom for the next hour imagining Amandre Williams and Levi on the DL with Gaines and Qualls. Rotating Potatoe in as well.... And others. I need lube and I need it quick.

Throw in Kongbo and you won't need lube.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2016
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I finally got around to watching his Hudl. Looks pretty damn good. Quick, strong & mean.

You can definitely take away from the film that for a kid his size, he's got some special athletic ability to work with. I thought he was a little raw with technique and whatnot but even playing in one of the best HS districts not only in Texas but probably the nation, he was able to consistently get away with it.

He's the kind of kid that in my mind if we're able to redshirt him, bet him a year in the weight room, and really work on harnessing his technique could be a dynamite contributor as a RS Frosh in a similar manner to how Greg Gaines was.
    Other than Dissly, Kawasaki has redshirted all frosh linemen. I have a feeling he will continue with this. Especially since we have Scrempos, Potato, McCoy, etc. all coming off a redshirt year. Unlike Sark, he can wait a year to play with his new toys
    I think the Gaines model is exactly the model that we'll see with this staff going forward.

If a true freshman is far and away one of our better options in the 2 deeps and could be needed in depth, etc., then you play him. This has happened a lot with our secondary over the last couple of years, Gaskin last year, Browning, etc.

Last year, Gaines was definitely good enough to be in the rotation. However, with Shelton, Hudson, and Qualls in play (among others), Gaines wasn't going to get enough snaps to make it worth his while to play early.

Yeah there will likely be a heavy dose of redshirting going on with this class. I think that McGrew, Rapp, and Eifler are the only ones who are locks to play as true freshmen. Wellington and Gilchrist might also play for special teams reasons.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited January 2016

I like to say that one Dallas commit justifies spending all that time whiffing on the other Texas recruits, I do that. @Tequillafs

You should probably go back and listen to what TequillaFS said ...

Recruiting in Texas as a focal point is a losing proposition and destined to fail ...

But if you are doing a good job of securing your fence, have established your contacts in SoCal and the Bay Area, are able to continue the trend of having your verbals stay very committed, and can get ahead of the recruiting process like this staff is, then spending 10-15% maximum of your time in the DFW area (which is far different than recommending spending time in Houston, Austin, or really anywhere materially south, east, or west of DFW) can be a positive.

Whether you agree or not, this staff has connections with local coaches and therefore will have the opportunity to pull out a potential stud (like Levi) or supplement recruiting with positions that may be in short supply on the West Coast (for example the WR position given that this is typically not a strong position in the State of Washington and top end California guys typically stay in state).

The balance of UW recruiting needs to ALWAYS be focused on in-state and California kids.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Damn, his girl is pretty fine

You know why you were flagged.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Yeah there will likely be a heavy dose of redshirting going on with this class. I think that McGrew, Rapp, and Eifler are the only ones who are locks to play as true freshmen. Wellington and Gilchrist might also play for special teams reasons.
    If we could ever land a WR they would be a lock to play...

Wellington will play and so will at least one of the DBs.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

By the way, the reason I have felt good about our chances with Levi for the past 3 weeks or so is that he has been committed to UW for awhile now. I tried to go as far as I could in saying dat without actually saying dat.

Basically just trust Coker until I am wrong, which is often, then you can stone me to death which I am OK with!

Do we bury you up to your neck and simply go for head shots or just above the knees so we can crush your junk too?
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The good news is the defensive recruits this year are ridiculous. The bad news is the offensive ones aren't anywhere near the same level minus McGrew, who is a midget. I can say that since I am a LEGIT 5'7".
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    tvoie said:

The good news is the defensive recruits this year are ridiculous. The bad news is the offensive ones aren't anywhere near the same level minus McGrew, who is a midget. I can say that since I am a LEGIT 5'7".

Mirroring the coaching staff.