Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

That sucked

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
edited January 2016 in College Football Forum
After the inevitable failure of the Oregon offense under Jeff Lockie, I literally grabbed the leash and went for a walk with my daWg along the lake to get some perspective.

Mentioned something in the game thread (during the 2nd Q after VA went down but apres le deluge) that I have seen this before.

Spent my childhood in SE Texas as a fan of the erstwhile Houston Oilers (fuck you, Bud Adams, rot in hell) and I watched the game against Buffalo where Houston gave up a 31-point lead to let Buffalo win in OT.

That has now happened twice to me as a fan, of two different teams in two totally different leagues and parts of the country. Owen12 might be preferable.

Best comment on 247 was this: "You just witnessed the opposite of The Pick. This loss could be the end of Oregon football as we have gotten used to if things are not handled properly, and difficult decisions are not made."

More rumint on that bored to the effect that the AD, Uncle Phil, and Helfrich had a little pow-wow after the game.

We'll see.

Comments

• Options

AZDuck said:

After the inevitable failure of the Oregon offense under Jeff Lockie, I literally grabbed the leash and went for a walk with my daWg along the lake to get some perspective.

Mentioned something in the game thread (during the 2nd Q after VA went down but apres le deluge) that I have seen this before.

Spent my childhood in SE Texas as a fan of the erstwhile Houston Oilers (fuck you, Bud Adams, rot in hell) and I watched the game against Buffalo where Houston gave up a 31-point lead to let Buffalo win in OT.

That has now happened twice to me as a fan, of two different teams in two totally different leagues and parts of the country. Owen12 might be preferable.

Best comment on 247 was this: "You just witnessed the opposite of The Pick. This loss could be the end of Oregon football as we have gotten used to if things are not handled properly, and difficult decisions are not made."

More rumint on that bored to the effect that the AD, Uncle Phil, and Helfrich had a little pow-wow after the game.

We'll see.

If this is the opposite of The Pick, I'd gladly rewatch this game on HuskyTron at every home game
    That would be doogtastic.

More information that has been floating around: Frost was responsible for QB recruiting and was the QB coach, right now the only "true" QB coach on staff is Helfrich himself and the GA Nate Costa (who is a former UO QB). Talk *was* that Costa would get promoted to full-time QB coach after the bowel game. Now, not so much.

Now, all bets are off, most people are calling for Pellum's head and many are calling for Helfrich's - revisiting the firing of Glen Mason at Minnesota after they blew a 31-point lead to Texas Tech a few years back.

On the plus side, some Quook poasted "Let's not forget where we came from and where we are" bullshit screed on 247 and got pasted with downvotes and numerous comments telling him what a fucktard loser he is.

So, the fanbase isn't completely fucked up.

We're at a crossroads, for sure. Oregon loves their staff continuity, but the problems with player development at key positions (C, QB, ILB to name a few) are indicative of rot within the program. At a time when Oregon has arguably the best backfield (when healthy) in CFB, it is especially galling to be unable to score more than 3 points, even without VA.

I'm as or more pissed about the issues at C than I am with the QB problems. Steve Greatwood has been and remains on staff. Why the fuck we didn't have a C or a backup C ready to go blows me away. Lockie might have had a chance to manage the game if he wasn't picking every single fucking snap up off the turf. Hell, just the one where he actually completed a nice throw to Carrington for a TD probably would have sealed the game, except he needed to kneel down to get the errant snap.

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Uncle Phil was probably letting Helfrich know they were exercising the clause in his contract that would move him to OC now that Chip has failed in the NFL.

The bad news, he won't be keeping his head coach salary.

Chip to be announced tomorrow.
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:

Uncle Phil was probably letting Helfrich know they were exercising the clause in his contract that would move him to OC now that Chip has failed in the NFL.

Your lips to God's ears...
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    I think this is a best case scenario from a UW perspective.

The Ducks got mauled, but with that nine wins will save his job for at least a year and probably two.

If you can't kick their ass next year, quit Petersen. You know Woody and his 11/9 women's to men's sports ratio won't fire you (in 10 years there will probably be six transgender teams).
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2016
    Maybe it's because I'm a contrarian in nature, but that one didn't hurt. It would've had it been a Rose Bowl or a Fiesta Bowl. But no one is going to remember the 2016 Alamo Freeze Bowl Winner 10 years from now.

Right now, I'm more curious about what Phuckup can do. No one is going to be VAJ when it comes to the deep ball. But a better running QB coupled with Freeman and a healthy Tyner along with an even weaker Pac 12 isn't a bad consolation prize. Assuming someone learns to snap the ball.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2016
    topdawgnc said:

Helfrich's contract is public....link to the clause? He would be owed over $14 million if fired. Lucky SOB

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/markhelfrich-uo-employment-contract.pdf
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Maybe it's because I'm a contrarian in nature, but that one didn't hurt. It would've had it been a Rose Bowl or a Fiesta Bowl. But no one is going to remember the 2016 Alamo Freeze Bowl Winner 10 years from now.

Right now, I'm more curious about what Phuckup can do. No one is going to be VAJ when it comes to the deep ball. But a better running QB coupled with Freeman and a healthy Tyner along with an even weaker Pac 12 isn't a bad consolation prize. Assuming someone learns to snap the ball.

Contrarian? More like a fool. Biggest meltdown in bowel history, played early enough that everyone could watch ... not good.

Next year, you'll again have loads of talent and experience at the skill positions, but you lose 3 OL starters and 6/7 of the front 7 on defense. All hat, no cowboy?

And hanging that hat on a "better running QB" who has yet to play in a FBS game shows just how much Kool-aid you have chugged. He may very well be as effective as VAJ, but I doubt it. Then again, he may get blown up early in the year and you'll be riding the Lockie train again.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    According to my Montana St superiority guy, Prukop or whatever is a downgrade from Adams. We already know Lockie isn't a Pac 12 quarterback.

Get ready Duckies....Autism Stadium is gonna be half full soon. You'll be able to get a $4 ticket with a Whopper value meal pretty soon. :D
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    Black DCs only get the most downtrodden of defense gigs
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Contrarian? More like a fool. Biggest meltdown in bowel history, played early enough that everyone could watch ... not good.

If it had been a Rose Bowl or Adams hadn't gone down, maybe I'd care. With Locknie, meh. Everyone already knew he wasn't a real QB.
    HuskyInAZ said:

Next year, you'll again have loads of talent and experience at the skill positions, but you lose 3 OL starters and 6/7 of the front 7 on defense. All hat, no cowboy?

IMHO, there's five people graduating that matter. Six, if Carrington turns pro.

1. Deforest Buckner, whom you can't replace.
    2. Tyler Johnstone, whom you can't replace a little less than Buckner because he's not a top-10 pick and George has looked better in his limited time than Jelks or Kamentule.
    3. VAJ, who was a great glimpse into what would've happened if Manziel came to Oregon, but also wasn't a perfect fit for what Oregon does since he didn't run the zone-read well.
    4. Hegarty, who was a pretty average center. But at the very least he could get the snap off.
    5. Baldacci, who was a pretty average nose tackle who played heady ball and is a perfect analogy for what's going to happen to the Oregon defensive next year. You'll see better size and athleticism across the board, but the tradeoff will be a little less intelligence. It might work for the better. It might not.

As for QB play, in the Oregon system to create space you need a QB who is enough of a threat to run that you need to commit a defender to stopping it or who throws a good enough deep ball to push the safeties out of the box. Locknie does none of the above. Mariota and Dixon did both. Adams did the later, but not the former. Ditto Thomas. Masoli did the first one, but his Lockner-like arm made him not so good at the second. Ditto Bryan Bennett. My guess is this is where Phuckup fits. He throws an okay ball but where he beats you is with his feet. Waller/Jonsen strikes me as the same type if he wins the competition. I doubt Mahalak, Allie or Locknie rate much at this point other than in the field goal holder role.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I love it when AZDuck wants to kill himself following an Oregon loss.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    Standard Supporter

HuskyInAZ said:

If it had been a Rose Bowl or Adams hadn't gone down, maybe I'd care. With Locknie, meh. Everyone already knew he wasn't a real QB.
    HuskyInAZ said:

IMHO, there's five people graduating that matter. Six, if Carrington turns pro.

1. Deforest Buckner, whom you can't replace.
    2. Tyler Johnstone, whom you can't replace a little less than Buckner because he's not a top-10 pick and George has looked better in his limited time than Jelks or Kamentule.
    3. VAJ, who was a great glimpse into what would've happened if Manziel came to Oregon, but also wasn't a perfect fit for what Oregon does since he didn't run the zone-read well.
    4. Hegarty, who was a pretty average center. But at the very least he could get the snap off.
    5. Baldacci, who was a pretty average nose tackle who played heady ball and is a perfect analogy for what's going to happen to the Oregon defensive next year. You'll see better size and athleticism across the board, but the tradeoff will be a little less intelligence. It might work for the better. It might not.

As for QB play, in the Oregon system to create space you need a QB who is enough of a threat to run that you need to commit a defender to stopping it or who throws a good enough deep ball to push the safeties out of the box. Locknie does none of the above. Mariota and Dixon did both. Adams did the later, but not the former. Ditto Thomas. Masoli did the first one, but his Lockner-like arm made him not so good at the second. Ditto Bryan Bennett. My guess is this is where Phuckup fits. He throws an okay ball but where he beats you is with his feet. Waller/Jonsen strikes me as the same type if he wins the competition. I doubt Mahalak, Allie or Locknie rate much at this point other than in the field goal holder role.
    TL,DR: Things couldnt be better in Eugene. The guys who are leaving were just temporary placeholders for the athletes coming in. Natty next year.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it that way. I'd sum it up that Oregon has five players on its current roster who will be drafted in the first five rounds of the NFL draft, two of whom are seniors, two are true sophmores and one of them is Carrington who could stay or go. It's not going to take much to find the next Tyson Coleman or Matt Pierson. And that's the reason why people who say Oregon (or Stanford) is about to fall off a cliff are generally wrong about it.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wouldn't say it that way. I'd sum it up that Oregon has five players on its current roster who will be drafted in the first five rounds of the NFL draft, two of whom are seniors, two are true sophmores and one of them is Carrington who could stay or go. It's not going to take much to find the next Tyson Coleman or Matt Pierson. And that's the reason why people who say Oregon (or Stanford) is about to fall off a cliff are generally wrong about it.

Oregon already did fall off and Stanford won the Rose Bowl. The longer Helfrich is retained, the steeper the climb back up becomes. He'll stutter to 8-5 next year and set up the implosion of all implosions in 2017.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,411
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't understand how Oregon got completely dependent on a midget. At halftime Oregon looked as good as ever including defense. I was going to abandon the game but decided to see if TCU had a miracle in them. Glad I stayed. #WhyIStayed

UW should have won this year.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I jumped on a work conference call this morning and while the meeting was getting set up a Duck was in the office and as soon as he heard that I was on the line started dropping F bombs and flipping the phone off ...

But the game didn't matter to Duck fans ... or so I'm hearing.