Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Culture of Hate defeated in Portland

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter

Oregon bakery pays damages in lesbian wedding cake case

PORTLAND, Ore. (Reuters) - The owners of a Portland-area bakery who refused on religious grounds to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple have paid about $144,000 in damages despite their ongoing appeal of the discrimination case, a state official said on Tuesday.

The damages were ordered after Aaron and Melissa Klein, owners of the Sweet Cakes by Melissa bakery, refused to bake a cake in 2013 when Laurel and Rachel Bowman-Cryer were planning their nuptials.

Aaron Klein handed the state a check for nearly $137,000 on Monday, Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries spokesman Charlie Burr said. The payment was first reported by the Oregonian newspaper late on Monday.

The money was added to $7,000 received from the Kleins earlier this month through private collection efforts spearheaded by the state's Department of Justice, Burr told Reuters.

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    pawz said:

It's head asplode time that a small business could be fined like this, for this. This isn't a public institution (hi marriage license lady in bumfuck kentucky or wherever), let the free market take its turn.

When I was a kid, I remember reading signs in small businesses that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anybody."

I'm sure HondaFS is prepping his "pawz is a racist bigot rant", but this is truly a blight on the future of our youth and how we teach them to respond responsibly to adversity.

What's with the Honda obsession?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2015
    dhdawg said:

Exactly ^. In a free society the business is allowed to refuse service, people protest/boycott and the company changes it's ways out of necessity.

Or it doesn't "change it's ways" and the sales go up:

This is when you really know a protest is FS.

Aside from the fact that Chick Fil A is fuckingly delicious and god forbid they ever change a damned thing about that place.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,186

dhdawg said:

Exactly ^. In a free society the business is allowed to refuse service, people protest/boycott and the company changes it's ways out of necessity.

Aside from the fact that Chick Fil A is fuckingly delicious and god forbid they ever change a damned thing about that place.

True.

But if you were a lesbian couple you could still get a chicken sandwich. They aren't FS.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,817
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

pawz said:

It's head asplode time that a small business could be fined like this, for this. This isn't a public institution (hi marriage license lady in bumfuck kentucky or wherever), let the free market take its turn.

When I was a kid, I remember reading signs in small businesses that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anybody."

I'm sure HondaFS is prepping his "pawz is a racist bigot rant", but this is truly a blight on the future of our youth and how we teach them to respond responsibly to adversity.

You are what's wrong with America.

A dumb, gullible piss ant that is mindlessly doing the work of someone who has a lot more to lose than you ever will. All under the guise of doing the lord's work for the little guy, who you inadvertently shackle and enslave in perpetuity. Useful idiot indeed.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

I get it but I think it's apples and oranges. A small cake business is a lot different than a multi million dollar corporation. The fine is draconian
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,894
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

I get it but I think it's apples and oranges. A small cake business is a lot different than a multi million dollar corporation. The fine is draconian
    The small bakery's sale may go up radically too. Or online gofundme's help foot the bill.

The invisible hand is out there. Always.
  • Options
    DawgtonaDawgtona Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,130
    Founders Club
    Dawgtona said:

nt

Jeff Spicoli could have sued for millions
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Driving back from Portland as I type. I hated most of it
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Despite my white privilege I did run into places that wouldn't serve me due to my long hair. Yes, I actually had hair. It was always a victory to get run.

I know, you can cut your hair but you can't change your sexual orientation. Unless you change your sexual identity. It can get confusing.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2015

Despite my white privilege I did run into places that wouldn't serve me due to my long hair. Yes, I actually had hair. It was always a victory to get run.

I know, you can cut your hair but you can't change your sexual orientation. Unless you change your sexual identity. It can get confusing.

imageimage
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

pawz said:

You are what's wrong with America.

A dumb, gullible piss ant that is mindlessly doing the work of someone who has a lot more to lose than you ever will. All under the guise of doing the lord's work for the little guy, who you inadvertently shackle and enslave in perpetuity. Useful idiot indeed.
    Nice rant. But your perception of reality is off.

The couple that was awarded money only wanted money, they didn't want a cake. What I don't get is what damages were imposed on the couple? But whatever, I only read the headline.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

pawz said:

Gang-stomping welfare losers is a time honored tradition on this bored. HTH

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    Founders Club

I'm a little torn but at the very least, the fine is fucking ridiculous for a small business. I think the activist types targeted them to make a point instead of just going to a more gay friendly bakery.

Meanwhile huge corporations are cheating workers, deceiving shareholders, polluting, and breaking all kinds of laws and get away with it or just get fined and pass it off as a cost of business and keep doing the same thing, and the media ignores it or puts it on page 12 of the business section. One small bakery in Portland is way more important....

I'm a little torn but at the very least, the fine is fucking ridiculous for a small business. I think the activist types targeted them to make a point instead of just going to a more gay friendly bakery.

Meanwhile huge corporations are cheating workers, deceiving shareholders, polluting, and breaking all kinds of laws and get away with it or just get fined and pass it off as a cost of business and keep doing the same thing, and the media ignores it or puts it on page 12 of the business section. One small bakery in Portland is way more important....

The media ignores it because they now know it's liberal, progressive fuctards doing the assfucking now.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Should've just baked them a shitty cake. Word would spread like wildfire through the gay community and bodda-bing, problem solved. BTW, you won't read it in the shitty press, but the bakery owners apparently did some retaliatory stuff, like posting the couples contact info on the web, which led to harassment via e-mails & phone, etc. I don't know the percentages, but as I understand, a large portion of the fine was for those related, retaliatory acts that happened during the shit-storm.