Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rex Ryan

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Media darling who is a shit coach.

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    He is a shit coach. Too bad for the Bills because I'd like to see them make a run and have success.

Last year on one of his podcasts Bill Simmons implied the Seahawks would be just as good with Ryan as HC. He was trying to argue he was a good coach. He's not.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    He's top 15-20 in the league; things could be worse for Buffalo, they could have Pettine or Jeff Fisher.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's top 15-20 in the league; things could be worse for Buffalo, they could have Pettine or Jeff Fisher.

How is Ryan better than Fisher? The Jets are 9-5 without Ryan and the Bills are a typical 6-8.

Fisher is a very mediocre coach, but he had some good season in Tennessee. Better than the ones Ryan had in New York.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You can have Fisher, but it's not like he's more than a game or two better then Rex. Didn't the Jets join the Andy Reid club of almost good enough by going to three straight NFC championships?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

How is Ryan better than Fisher? The Jets are 9-5 without Ryan and the Bills are a typical 6-8.

Fisher is a very mediocre coach, but he had some good season in Tennessee. Better than the ones Ryan had in New York.
    All you are comparing with Rex with the Jets and Bills is comparing him to Todd Bowles (who is probably a top third of the league coach - not hard to see that one coming) and that Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably a bit of an upgrade over Geno Smith.

Rex isn't great ... but he's not horrible either. He's probably a 15th to 20th ranked HC in the league.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

All you are comparing with Rex with the Jets and Bills is comparing him to Todd Bowles (who is probably a top third of the league coach - not hard to see that one coming) and that Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably a bit of an upgrade over Geno Smith.

Rex isn't great ... but he's not horrible either. He's probably a 15th to 20th ranked HC in the league.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick is a journeyman who has never played in a single playoff game. Todd Bowles is a first time head coach other than 3 games as an interim. How was it easy to see he was a top third coach when he had never been a head coach?

Rex leaves a 4-12 team that has improved to 9-5. The Bills went 9-7 last year and are 6-8 this year. He hasn't had a winning record since 2010. Being the 20th best coach (generous) in the NFL means you are a below average coach aka a shitty coach.
  • Options
    Bowles did tremendous work in Arizona and laid the foundation on defense for their recent success. I would have bet heavily on him finding success as a head coach.

There's something missing with the Bills. There's no question that Rex has his own plan and I'm sure that there's some cultural fits going on there. He's infamous for having "his guys" that buy in.

I think that the Bills are probably better than what their record is this year. I expect that they'll make some changes in the offseason. Figuring out whether they will ride with Taylor or not is huge. But no question that the jury on Rex in Buffalo is probably on the short end.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Rex Ryan is nothing special but if you aren't taking him over Jeff Fisher you're nuts.

Jeff Fisher sucks ass.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Rex vs jeff fisher is sark vs ty
    Both suck and should have been fired years ago
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Rex Ryan is nothing special but if you aren't taking him over Jeff Fisher you're nuts.

Jeff Fisher sucks ass.

I'm not sure how Rex Ryan is better. Fisher has a better winning percentage and made a Super Bowl. Neither is good, but objectively, Fisher is better.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Bills had arguably the best defense in football last year and now it's a dumpster fire with the same personnel. Rex Ryan changed their scheme from a 4-3 to a 3-4. When you have an elite 4-3 front 7 it's pretty silly to pigeonhole them into a misfit scheme. He's not a good coach.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dnc said:

Jeff Fisher sucks ass.

I'm not sure how Rex Ryan is better. Fisher has a better winning percentage and made a Super Bowl. Neither is good, but objectively, Fisher is better.
    Making the AFC championship game with Mark Sanchez is better than making the Super Bowl with Steve McNair.
  • Options
    There is regime and scheme changes all the time in the NFL - what has happened to the bills isn't as uncommon as you may think
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ryan is 52-58
    Fisher is 168-155

Fisher is remarkable for the longevity of his mediocre career, He was 142-120 at the Oilers/Titans. He had a 56-24 run around his Super Bowl year. That is a very good NFL record but not sure it is good enough to get him all these years.

But that run makes him better than Ryan. The Titans with McNair and George ran into the Ravens with Ray Lewis which stopped them from getting to more Super Bowls
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Ryan is 6 games under 500 for his career. Being average gets you a long career coaching in the league. Norv Turner coached 237 regular season gaymes. Record: 114–122–1 (.483)
    Plus 4-4 in the playoffs.

They're always looking for the next Belichick or Carroll, who suck on the first and/or second run but somehow "get it" and then become great.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

There is regime and scheme changes all the time in the NFL - what has happened to the bills isn't as uncommon as you may think

I get that but that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. Buffalo has an elite 4-3 roster that would be miscast in a 3-4. Why wouldn't Rex just keep that going and then slowly change over to a 3-4 years later when those players move on?
  • Options

dnc said:

Jeff Fisher sucks ass.

Making the AFC championship game with Mark Sanchez is better than making the Super Bowl with Steve McNair.
    This
  • Options

dnc said:

Jeff Fisher sucks ass.

You want to argue Fisher's had a better career I'll grant you that. He's been a shit coach, shit poaster for well over a decade now. Whatever he did right with the Titans in the 90's/early 2000's sure as fuck doesn't work now. If I have to win a game tomorrow I'd rather have neither of them but I'd take Ryan over Fisher rather easily.

Since Ryan became an HC Fisher is 40-53-1 (Ryan is 52-58). Fisher hasn't won a playoff game since 2003. Ryan has a 4-2 playoff record in that time.

Ryan > today's Fisher
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Ryan is 52-58
    Fisher is 168-155

Fisher is remarkable for the longevity of his mediocre career, He was 142-120 at the Oilers/Titans. He had a 56-24 run around his Super Bowl year. That is a very good NFL record but not sure it is good enough to get him all these years.

But that run makes him better than Ryan. The Titans with McNair and George ran into the Ravens with Ray Lewis which stopped them from getting to more Super Bowls

Because Rex Ryan never coached against any Hall of Famers.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ryan is 52-58
    Fisher is 168-155

Because Rex Ryan never coached against any Hall of Famers.
    This is true.