Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When did "Win-loss vs fpi top 40" become a playoff metric?

Ill tell you when, In the last few weeks to protect Alabama and the SEC. It's a bullshit metric the left, or ESPN, just created and metaphorically attatched to a bill to fool the voters.

ive never seen it and I play close attention. Suddenly Alabama's 1 win over a ranked team doesnt look so bad. Hey, theyre 8-1 vs the top 40. WTF is going on with college football? Its turning into a fucking shit show. Reality television, a popularity contest, nothing merit based anymore. Im sick to my stomach. Let me barf now.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    SEC good at everything.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,209
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Meds need dialing in
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ sure is in quite a few of your heads
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How many titles at Bama, Nick?

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    puppy fucktard everything

that being said, all this bullshit could be avoided with the removal of 2 non conference games (they are pointless anyways) and a 16 team playoff with 6 at large bids from the major conferences in college football.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

puppy fucktard everything

that being said, all this bullshit could be avoided with the removal of 2 non conference games (they are pointless anyways) and a 16 team playoff with 6 at large bids from the major conferences in college football.

Another day of Puppy crying about the SEC.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Cant make this shit up. College football has nothing to do with just winning or losing anymore. Back in the good ole days, before 80% of you puckerhuffers here even watched the game, you won the title by WINNING. And winning RECENTLY when it mattered. If you lost recently you could kiss your ass goodbye.

Now, literally in the last few weeks, its about how you won vs the top 40. Throw out the AP top25, guess its irrelevant now as it hurts the SEC. Remember the SEC had 10 teams in top25? Now there is basically one that deserves to be there, so that poll doesnt matter for the playoff. What a laugher but I digress.

Its not that you won, its about how good your backups are if a starter goes down (which is purely subjective and no way to know) Even though you won a game, the committee now decides if THEY think your backups can compete in the playoff.

Iowa is undefeated but t he committee decides if THEY think iowa is good enough. The committee made up its mind about Bama pre-season, even though everyone outside the SEC saw they have the worst QB of all power 5 contenders, beat 1 ranked team, lost at home to ole miss and needed a miracle at home vs horrible tennessee. Oh and barely beat Auburn (the 2nd-3rd worst team in SEC.

Make it stop. Nothing has to do with winning and more importantly losing anymore. The silly metrics, SEC bias and a woman deciding who the best teams are is ludicrous. Im about ready to bid farewell to the new and unimproved college game. Cant stand it. Onne way to keep my interest? Put Bama at 5 tonight when rankings come out. Make them beat Florida Atlantic un SEC title game this weekend to even be considered. There a 4 MUCH MORE DESERVING TEAMS right now.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2015
    Puppy just doesn't want Bama to make it in because he knows they will beat any fucknut teams from the lesser conferences. Also, you wrote a lot. Fag.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's almost like the rankings are entirely subjective.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    PLSS must have a 1984 BYU Natty poster in his mom's basement.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    SRS has Alabama #1 and the SEC as the #1 conference. It has 7 teams in the top 25. Pac-12 has only 4 teams in the top 29. SRS is an objective rating system. There have been plenty of years where it has had the Pac-12 as the best conference and not the SEC like 2013 for example.

Furthermore, look at the two metrics Football Outsiders combines to rate how efficient teams are. Alabama is #1 with a healthy lead over #2. Again the SEC has 7 teams in the top 25 with the Pac-12 having only 3 in the top 28.

Here is the conclusion: Alabama is clearly #1. SEC is the clear best conference again but will only get one team in the playoff.

Puppy never responds to my post on this because he can't. There is no objective or reasonable way to argue against this.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

SRS has Alabama #1 and the SEC as the #1 conference. It has 7 teams in the top 25. Pac-12 has only 4 teams in the top 29. SRS is an objective rating system. There have been plenty of years where it has had the Pac-12 as the best conference and not the SEC like 2013 for example.

Furthermore, look at the two metrics Football Outsiders combines to rate how efficient teams are. Alabama is #1 with a healthy lead over #2. Again the SEC has 7 teams in the top 25 with the Pac-12 having only 3 in the top 28.

Here is the conclusion: Alabama is clearly #1. SEC is the clear best conference again but will only get one team in the playoff.

Puppy never responds to my post on this because he can't. There is no objective or reasonable way to argue against this.

I'm only counting 6 and 1 in the top 10.

The SEC is not clearly the best conference anymore. Both Sagarin Predictor and SRS have 6 SEC teams in the top 25. Both have the Big 12 with 5 in the top 25 (considering the Big 12 has 4 fewer teams than the SEC that's a higher percentage of top 25 teams) and 3 in the top 10 for a much higher percentage of top 10 teams. I think it's the best conference this year.

The Big 10 has 5 of 12 teams in the top 25 in Sagarin Predictor and 4 of 12 in the SRS, so very close to the same as the SEC percentage wise, with 1 out of 12 in the top 10 in each versus 1 out of 14.

I think it goes Big 12, SEC, Big 10, but all three are pretty close, but a bigger gap between 1 and 2 than 2 and 3.

I can allow someone to say the SEC is the best this year. It's not close to the clear best though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The B1G is back and tough at the top. I would say they are the best league today after last year's bowls. Iowa sucks though. I'd put the Buckeyes in just because

The Big 12 is Oklahoma and the 9 dwarves
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Puppy good at everything.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    The Big 10 has 4 in the top 12 or 3 in the top 10, so it is definitely the best at the top. It rates below the SEC because the bottom half of the conference is terrible. Before Michigan got blown out the SEC had 3 in the top 7.

Harbaugh does it again. Michigan was 61 in SRS last year. Likely will finish in the top 10 this year. At Stanford he went from 61 in his second year to 1 in two years.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,834
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

Puppy just doesn't want Bama to make it in because he knows they will beat any fucknut teams from the lesser conferences. Also, you wrote a lot. Fag.

Like last year?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2015

PLSS must have a 1984 BYU Natty poster in his mom's basement.

Write next to the GA Tech er uh Miami one in 1991.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

"The SRS is an objective bullshit rating system. Give it up with that fucking witchcraft. Bama will not get out of the semi's let alone win a natty this year, despite their big win against well... there aren't any big wins now that LSU was exposed.

I know you all are yearning for the days when the script played out as it used to. It makes Doogs feel good about the " we are Washington damnit dayz" returning when the blue chippers from the SEC win and a non Sark USC has a chance to win a Championship.

But Grandpa Sankey can see that the SEC is way down this year and that Stanford will butt plunger SC once again on the way to beating Iowa in the Rose Bowl.