Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chip Come Home - The NFL Experiment Is Over - What I'm Hearing

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/eagles_fans_call_for_chip_kelly_to_be_fired_on_twi.html

Looks like the NFL wasn't all that for Chip Kelly.

Of late Ive been hearing rumors of a very unusual arrangement that was put into place between Kelly, Helfrich, and the Oregon AD after Kelly's initial flirtation with Tampa Bay. In that arrangement - it was understood that Kelly was going to be the subject of an NCAA show-cause once sanctions were announced. So, the expectation was that Kelly would leave for the League prior to sanctions being announced. He would coach there for as long as he wanted. If Kelly wanted to come back to Oregon within 5 years, the Oregon AD and Phil Knight were prepared to keep him as the highest-paid coach in the Pac-12 and one of the top 5 in CFB. Helfrich is locked in as the extended-term interim for as long as Kelly stays in the NFL and upon Kelly's return stays as the OC - at whatever salary he was earning as HC, plus annual increases, for as long as Kelly stays at Oregon.

Kelly likes Oregon's attitude toward winning and, compared to other high-profile programs, minimal donor interaction. Also, Helfrich was and is the key recruiter on the staff (Chip hates recruiting).

Is there any basis to this? I don't know. This is one step better than rank gossip - but what the hell - I'll take it.

PLEASE, IN THE NAME OF PHIL, COME BACK!

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,525
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This actually makes perfect sense. Chip has proven that he can't hang in a real league so his only option would be to return to the Pac-12. You guys have to beat USC out for him, but at least we know he won't go to a major conference.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Our AD is 10000000000000000x better run than USC's
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

Our AD is 10000000000000000x better run than USC's

Oh really? How many national championships has Oregon won?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He should bring back Ogerereron ;)
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    If I'm Chip and want to go back to the CFB, I'd go to Miami with the chance to lockdown South Florida talent.

Boosters are too needy at Oregon and USC...at Miami, they just want to win again so I'm sure they'd accept limited / no access to him, at least for awhile.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    If I had to guess, I doubt Chip returns to Oregon. Seems like to me if you're a coach who's reached the NFL, you're only leaving and returning to the college game unless you're 1) shown the door (like Pete Carroll was in New England) or 2) a "higher caliber"* college program comes calling and you know your NFL stock is plummeting (Nick Saban leaving Miami for the Alabama gig).

* Just to clarify for our Duck friends, I use the term "higher caliber" loosely - what college programs are considered a step up is subjective. Oregon is premier job, no doubt about that, but Chip strikes me as a type that would look back at his days in Eugene and say "been there, done that", and want to try something different.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/eagles_fans_call_for_chip_kelly_to_be_fired_on_twi.html

Of late Ive been hearing rumors of a very unusual arrangement that was put into place between Kelly, Helfrich, and the Oregon AD after Kelly's initial flirtation with Tampa Bay. In that arrangement - it was understood that Kelly was going to be the subject of an NCAA show-cause once sanctions were announced. So, the expectation was that Kelly would leave for the League prior to sanctions being announced. He would coach there for as long as he wanted. If Kelly wanted to come back to Oregon within 5 years, the Oregon AD and Phil Knight were prepared to keep him as the highest-paid coach in the Pac-12 and one of the top 5 in CFB. Helfrich is locked in as the extended-term interim for as long as Kelly stays in the NFL and upon Kelly's return stays as the OC - at whatever salary he was earning as HC, plus annual increases, for as long as Kelly stays at Oregon.

Kelly likes Oregon's attitude toward winning and, compared to other high-profile programs, minimal donor interaction. Also, Helfrich was and is the key recruiter on the staff (Chip hates recruiting).

Is there any basis to this? I don't know. This is one step better than rank gossip - but what the hell - I'll take it.

Awesomed for not knowing if there is any basis to this or not.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:

Cul stary bro warning:

Was stunned to log on tonight and read this AZ. I was drifting off (as one does) at my sons soccer game today and this very scenario/idea popped into my head as absurd as it is.

Almost everything you wrote in the above. This ridiculous, reaching "what if?" Ran through my tiny brain as my little ones side went down 4-nil in round 2 of the playoffs.

Also too, there is no way the above happened or is happening. CK be gone.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

If I'm Chip and want to go back to the CFB, I'd go to Miami with the chance to lockdown South Florida talent.

Boosters are too needy at Oregon and USC...at Miami, they just want to win again so I'm sure they'd accept limited / no access to him, at least for awhile.

Way more boi toys in Miami too. Chipster would roll large.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Chip is gay, Oregon is faggit.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    edited November 2015

AZDuck said:

Cul stary bro warning:

Was stunned to log on tonight and read this AZ. I was drifting off (as one does) at my sons soccer game today and this very scenario/idea popped into my head as absurd as it is.

Almost everything you wrote in the above. This ridiculous, reaching "what if?" Ran through my tiny brain as my little ones side went down 4-nil in round 2 of the playoffs.

Flagged for the faggy soccer 2-nil bullshit.

Your son was getting his ass kicked. Their score was zero. Only in a gay sport does a team getting shut out come up with a cool name for it.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Cul stary bro warning:

Your son was getting his ass kicked. Their score was zero. Only in a gay sport does a team getting shut out come up with a cool name for it.
    Flagged for calling nil "a cool name".
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Cul stary bro warning:

Flagged for calling nil "a cool name".
    Fair.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Cul stary bro warning:

Flagged for missing the obvious hipster sarcasm. I also called his team a "side"

• Options

MikeSeaver
    November 22

You fucked up wifing Chelsea Noble over Julie McCullough, brah.

Good luck in eternal Hell fire with all the other fornicaters.