Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Am I/we being unreasonable?

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
Had a fierce debate with a buddy on Saturday night.

Players mature and gain confidence as they grow older...duh.

But I'm also a strong believer that players (particularly at skill positions) must arrive with certain intangibles (vision, speed, quickness, split-second judgment, confidence, etc.).

Jake Browning is improving in terms of moving the ball between the 20s. From our 20 yard-line to the opponents 30 or 20 he is racking up yardage.

BUT inside the redzone and in the 4th quarter the kid just seems to crap his pants (hence the nickname "brownshorts"). cal, oregon, arizona state and utah all could've been won by a QB with a calmer presence, a steadier hand, and a killer attitude.

Unfortunately what I've seen thus far is a kid that simply blew out other teams in high school, and is not comfortable in do-or-die clutch situations.

Can ice water in your veins be acquired, or do you have to be born with it?

Comments

• Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    I was born with it.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2015
    AlCzervik said:

I was born with it.

Killing small animals with no remorse doesn't count.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Meek said:

I think Browning's fine. Sure, arm is weak and some balls are wobbly but he knows mostly what's going on. He's smart, hard working and has fire. I think the coaches have totally put him in a position to fail this season.

I just really hope they haven't ruined him by pulling this shit.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    I think Brownsocks will be a good QB for us. He wasn't ready this year but he's all we've got. His confidence has taken a beating but not so much that he can't rebound.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    Personally, I prefer the nickname "20-30" to "Brownsocks" but maybe that's just the humanitarian in me.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'm not sure his confidence is shot to be honest. He's smart enough to see the dreck receivers to know he's among the least of this team's problems.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

Had a fierce debate with a buddy on Saturday night.

Players mature and gain confidence as they grow older...duh.

But I'm also a strong believer that players (particularly at skill positions) must arrive with certain intangibles (vision, speed, quickness, split-second judgment, confidence, etc.).

Jake Browning is improving in terms of moving the ball between the 20s. From our 20 yard-line to the opponents 30 or 20 he is racking up yardage.

BUT inside the redzone and in the 4th quarter the kid just seems to crap his pants (hence the nickname "brownshorts"). cal, oregon, arizona state and utah all could've been won by a QB with a calmer presence, a steadier hand, and a killer attitude.

Unfortunately what I've seen thus far is a kid that simply blew out other teams in high school, and is not comfortable in do-or-die clutch situations.

Can ice water in your veins be acquired, or do you have to be born with it?

The Icewater part you're born with. But having the experience and getting bigger and stronger are factors for QB's as well. Also having receivers that can catch more than full blown aids helps too.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2015
    Browning has some good traits and some really bad ones. His arm isn't going to magically get strong. He's more likely to be a middle tier QB than a great one. At the same time, I can't be too harsh on him because he is a true freshman and it's not his fault the coaches pretend he's Tom Brady and have him drop back 62 times.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Something positive form the shit show on Saturday was him turning something into nothing. He's receivers can't get open so he did the old Johnny Moxin and said fuck it and took off.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    62 fucking passes.

Jesus that is embarrassing.