Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why does the poor south vote conservative?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm an atheist, so I don't give a shit about churches but he isn't wrong, most charity work in this nation and most of the help the people in poverty get is from church goers.

And while they may be misguided fools for believing in god/gods, it is awfully cynical of you to make the statement they are all doing it for taxes or to get into "heaven".

I think they do it because it's common human decency and they want to make a difference however they can.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

I think Social Security is a terribly flawed system. I have paid into that system my entire working life, despite voting against it and other entitlement programs. If by some random chance I get disabled beyond my ability to work and Social Security still has money to payout, I'll certainly take the benefits that I've spent years paying for. If that makes me a hypocrite oh well.

In the same way most of the people protesting the po-lice these days will almost certainly end up receiving help (directly or indirectly) from the popos at some point in the future doesn't make them hypocrites. Receiving benefit from a flawed system doesn't mean you have to endorse said flawed system.

I was with you in the 1st paragraph. Although a flawed system, if you need it social security, by all means, use it. That's why it there. If you don't need it, support those who do need it. I'm with ya.

The 2nd paragraph, not so much. It seems to me that the only people who have problems with the police are those who break the law. Law abiding citizens have no problem with law enforcement. Exactly how is it a flawed system?
    Police officers are human beings, so there are bad apples among them like any other group. And you are awfully naive if you think the only people to ever run into trouble with the law are law breakers.

FFS.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I'm an atheist, so I don't give a shit about churches but he isn't wrong, most charity work in this nation and most of the help the people in poverty get is from church goers.

And while they may be misguided fools for believing in god/gods, it is awfully cynical of you to make the statement they are all doing it for taxes or to get into "heaven".

I think they do it because it's common human decency and they want to make a difference however they can.

Disagree.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/28/are-religious-people-really-more-generous-than-atheists-a-new-study-puts-that-myth-to-rest/
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Disagree.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/28/are-religious-people-really-more-generous-than-atheists-a-new-study-puts-that-myth-to-rest/
    Friendly Atheist is your source?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like conservatives do care but they don't do it the right way.

We need public assistance but it won't raise you out of poverty. Claiming poor folks should vote for Democrats based on welfare is stupid.

Welfare will be with us always. Providing the best opportunities to get off it is what you should base your vote on.

Nobody wants to be on free shit. It's dehumanizing and pays like shit. They want a good job and life like we (?) do.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

There is a question that has puzzled some sociologists for years: If America’s poverty is concentrated in the South, as data clearly show, why is it that those states are the most reliably Republican voters – essentially voting against the government assistance they would seem to need?

So government assistance is the way to not be poor. I think we found the answer to your question. They may be dumb but they are clearly smarter than you

HTH

Race will be pissed when he realizes that comment by that author was a parody of people like race, death, and the right wing media.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,287
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

We need public assistance but it won't raise you out of poverty. Claiming poor folks should vote for Democrats based on welfare is stupid.

Welfare will be with us always. Providing the best opportunities to get off it is what you should base your vote on.

Nobody wants to be on free shit. It's dehumanizing and pays like shit. They want a good job and life like we (?) do.

Holy shit Race, you actually said something I agree with. The problem is, Republicans have built a platform on "the 47% that pay no taxes will never vote for a Republican."

And don't come back crying that Democrats have built a platform of giving everything away for free. Read the actual platform.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Holy shit Race, you actually said something I agree with. The problem is, Republicans have built a platform on "the 47% that pay no taxes will never vote for a Republican."

And don't come back crying that Democrats have built a platform of giving everything away for free. Read the actual platform.
    Why would I do that?
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,888
    Standard Supporter

It's almost as if maybe some people have principles....ya know, like hey, maybe it's wrong to force people to pay into something for my benefit. And then it's almost as if people are prioritizing their principles over getting "free" stuff when they vote.

Sociologists aren't puzzled. They're pissed that democracy isn't working the way they want it too. Be dependent, dammit!

Principles. El oh el. They take handouts just like other poor people. But they think it's ok because they deserve it. They're hypocrites.
    Well I'm not denying that many of them are hypocrites. Many of them do take handouts. But they still preach the principle.
    I tell people not to beat their wives. I beat my wife. Applaud me for preaching the principle.
    Im not discussing what does and doesn't deserve an applause. Just telling you what drives a poor person to vote conservative.