Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why does the poor south vote conservative?

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited November 2015 in Tug Tavern
And yeah, and them crackers are drunks that kill themselves.

There is a question that has puzzled some sociologists for years: If America’s poverty is concentrated in the South, as data clearly show, why is it that those states are the most reliably Republican voters – essentially voting against the government assistance they would seem to need?

This week, there emerged a new and seemingly unrelated question, though similarly perplexing: Why has the mortality rate for middle age white Americans gone up dramatically since 1999 – even as it has gone down for other groups of Americans and whites in other countries?

The study released this week by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that the surprising rise in middle-age, white mortality in America from 1999 to 2013 was driven by a rise in suicide, drug abuse, and alcoholism. The trends were strongest among those with the least education and in the predominantly red South and West, with the authors suggesting a vicious cycle of physical pain and addiction to painkillers, compounded by fiscal uncertainty.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-red-state-crisis-231355002.html

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jesus cooked meth for the poor
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Famous Quote from Benjamin Franklin

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic."
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

It's almost as if maybe some people have principles....ya know, like hey, maybe it's wrong to force people to pay into something for my benefit. And then it's almost as if people are prioritizing their principles over getting "free" stuff when they vote.

Sociologists aren't puzzled. They're pissed that democracy isn't working the way they want it too. Be dependent, dammit!

Principles. El oh el. They take handouts just like other poor people. But they think it's ok because they deserve it. They're hypocrites.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,888
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

It's almost as if maybe some people have principles....ya know, like hey, maybe it's wrong to force people to pay into something for my benefit. And then it's almost as if people are prioritizing their principles over getting "free" stuff when they vote.

Sociologists aren't puzzled. They're pissed that democracy isn't working the way they want it too. Be dependent, dammit!

Principles. El oh el. They take handouts just like other poor people. But they think it's ok because they deserve it. They're hypocrites.
    Well I'm not denying that many of them are hypocrites. Many of them do take handouts. But they still preach the principle.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    ...as opposed to those liberal, urban, welfare havens in Chicago, Detroit, New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore.....You know, those Northern cities where 20% of the entire population of the US live. No poverty/crime there, just good old fashioned American values and clean living.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

...as opposed to those liberal, urban, welfare havens in Chicago, Detroit, New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore.....You know, those Northern cities where 20% of the entire population of the US live. No poverty/crime there, just good old fashioned American values and clean living.

Everybody does it.
  • Options

Well I'm not denying that many of them are hypocrites. Many of them do take handouts. But they still preach the principle.
    I tell people not to beat their wives. I beat my wife. Applaud me for preaching the principle.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,632
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Liberals help the poor. Everybody says so.
  • Options
    Liberals care about the poor. Some of our efforts to help them may be misguided but the effort is there. I would not say that about conservatives.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I think Social Security is a terribly flawed system. I have paid into that system my entire working life, despite voting against it and other entitlement programs. If by some random chance I get disabled beyond my ability to work and Social Security still has money to payout, I'll certainly take the benefits that I've spent years paying for. If that makes me a hypocrite oh well.

In the same way most of the people protesting the po-lice these days will almost certainly end up receiving help (directly or indirectly) from the popos at some point in the future doesn't make them hypocrites. Receiving benefit from a flawed system doesn't mean you have to endorse said flawed system.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

I think Social Security is a terribly flawed system. I have paid into that system my entire working life, despite voting against it and other entitlement programs. If by some random chance I get disabled beyond my ability to work and Social Security still has money to payout, I'll certainly take the benefits that I've spent years paying for. If that makes me a hypocrite oh well.

In the same way most of the people protesting the po-lice these days will almost certainly end up receiving help (directly or indirectly) from the popos at some point in the future doesn't make them hypocrites. Receiving benefit from a flawed system doesn't mean you have to endorse said flawed system.

I was with you in the 1st paragraph. Although a flawed system, if you need it social security, by all means, use it. That's why it there. If you don't need it, support those who do need it. I'm with ya.

The 2nd paragraph, not so much. It seems to me that the only people who have problems with the police are those who break the law. Law abiding citizens have no problem with law enforcement. Exactly how is it a flawed system?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

I was with you in the 1st paragraph. Although a flawed system, if you need it social security, by all means, use it. That's why it there. If you don't need it, support those who do need it. I'm with ya.

The 2nd paragraph, not so much. It seems to me that the only people who have problems with the police are those who break the law. Law abiding citizens have no problem with law enforcement. Exactly how is it a flawed system?
    This guy.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,014
    Swaye's Wigwam

Liberals care about the poor. Some of our efforts to help them may be misguided but the effort is there. I would not say that about conservatives.

I was at a food bank fundraiser breakfast this morning, and I actually thought about this very thing.

The liberals are the ones who are thought of as the ones that help the poor, yet the venue that donated their space and time to host the event was a church. And the vast majority of the 500 or so folks there to donate to the food bank were old time right wingers from the neighborhood.

Weird, I didn't see many young left wing hipsters there anywhere.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Member Posts: 499
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

get right the fuck outta here with this shit.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

our?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Alexis said:

I was at a food bank fundraiser breakfast this morning, and I actually thought about this very thing.

The liberals are the ones who are thought of as the ones that help the poor, yet the venue that donated their space and time to host the event was a church. And the vast majority of the 500 or so folks there to donate to the food bank were old time right wingers from the neighborhood.

Weird, I didn't see many young left wing hipsters there anywhere.
    You don't get credit when you're working an angle. When it's to impress God or for tax purposes or to convert then you are not giving to charity. You are providing something with an expectation of getting something in return. That's why they have a problem with it being done with tax dollars. Not because they don't get to choose to give but because they don't get anything out of it.
  • Options
    dnc said:

You paid into it. I wouldn't call you a hypocrite. Calling "them" the "takers" while receiving food stamps is not the same thing.