Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Fredy Montero Transfer

MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,519 Swaye's Wigwam
edited February 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Josh Mayers reporting that Colombian club Millionarios will, in fact, get Montero on loan, freeing up some allocation money. It's widely-believed this money will be used to pay down the contract of Rosales in order to get him under the league maximum of $350K, freeing up another DP spot.

Good move? I'd always thought it was time to stop catering to Montero when it came to the other FW spot, waiting for him to realize his potential.

Comments

• GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    Agree wholeheartedly. Probably the six month loan could go to a year and help us overall.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,519 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm still curious if they decide to acquire a new FW or if they experiment with midfielders they have now (didn't think much of moving Tiffert opposite of EJ against LA). Furthermore, I'd like to see Mario Martinez get more time this coming season after he flashed his potential in the playoffs, but with Zakuani close to full health, I wonder where they'll put him.
    Mello,
    I think to step up to the next level, they feel pressure to get another FW. They've been doing a good job of internal player development though, as you note. That gets damaged if those players are not rewarded with playing time. With the prevalence of injuries, and also the times when they have too many games and need to rest players for various cups, etc, having that depth is key. I agree with you that Martinez is one of those guys who has flashed enough talent to warrant first team deployment.
    My concern with Montero going and the remaining players is the quality of people who can play with their back to the net. As you say, we have some good talent at midfield, but that striker skill set of harvesting and dispersing with the back to the net is not one that all players have consistently. We sure need someone who can score goals, and if it could be someone more consistent than Montero, that would be great. His failure to score in the postseason is still the thing that puzzles....
    It seems Hanauer has confirmed we will replace Montero with another designated player. But it looks like they have cap issues, and can afford one only for half the season????

The Times reports:

"And significant changes could be looming beyond a prospective Montero loan."

" 'As (majority owner Joe Roth) and I mentioned at our end-of-year business meeting, we are willing to look at any and all options for improving the team for 2013 and beyond," Hanauer wrote in the email. "This may or may not include moving one, two or three of our Designated Players, along with other players on our current roster.' "
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    I heard Beckenbauer is available. Fits the MLS strategy.
  • volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    mello, in your post you claim Montero got DP'ed? staff, true?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    Please don't feed the troll
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,900 Founders Club