Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

WR and TE

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,587
    edited October 2015
    Babushka finally ran it out of a single wide look and the WR at least got 4 yards.

If your WRs can't block (hopefully at least yet rather than never), better to do a quick throw to a guy one on one. Why not to Chico? He's quicker and faster than Mickens. Or what about motioning Washington out of the backfield? He's big and could then find himself man-to-man with a smaller corner or safety.

I actually can't stand Pease more so than even Babushka at this point. The lack of blocking by his WR's is appalling. We all bag on the bubble screen, but seriously there has been only a handful of times where we have thrown it that it was a bad "call".

A majority of the time it is Browning deciding to throw it because of the look the defense gives him. It's a really simple yes or no to even run it. It hurts me to think of the number of times I've seen us through it out there and be like, "good decision", only to see our WR/TE get blown up and the play goes for nothing.

In short, I want Pease and Smith gone. Keep Strausser and Bonopha.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    HFNY said:

Babushka finally ran it out of a single wide look and the WR at least got 4 yards.

If your WRs can't block (hopefully at least yet rather than never), better to do a quick throw to a guy one on one. Why not to Chico? He's quicker and faster than Mickens. Or what about motioning Washington out of the backfield? He's big and could then find himself man-to-man with a smaller corner or safety.

I actually can't stand Pease more so than even Babushka at this point. The lack of blocking by his WR's is appalling. We all bag on the bubble screen, but seriously there has been only a handful of times where we have thrown it that it was a bad "call".

A majority of the time it is Browning deciding to throw it because of the look the defense gives him. It's a really simple yes or no to even run it. It hurts me to think of the number of times I've seen us through it out there and be like, "good decision", only to see our WR/TE get blown up and the play goes for nothing.

The bubble screen is always a bad call because the players don't execute it.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    HFNY said:

I don't know if there is a complete list out there but I would be surprised if there is a UW receiver in the top 30.
    It does make one wonder if they executing the bubble screen in practice which gives JS hope they will execute the next one live?

I also wonder if the O is tipping its hand via formations or something else b/c defenses have had an uncanny ability to jump the BS (bubble screens).

HFNY said:

The bubble screen is always a bad call because the players don't execute it.

• The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2015
    The lack of improvement with Pettis and Lenius compared to Bierria, Victor, most of the defense is a real disappointement, I will agree to that.
    I will not go as far as you though, saying they have regressed. Some of us actually pointed out before the season that the general optimism about these 2 guys was not really based on facts, really small sample size, and it was premature to list them among the positive aspects of the team.

Other than that, I think @HeretoBeatmyChest summarized my opinion "t's hard for us to really know who sucks and who looks bad because of the rest of the offense." They are probably a bit better than what they are showing, but I don't think we are missing out on any Randy Moss because of a bad QB or bad coach here.
    Bierria and Victor were able to redshirt and then be back-ups as RS-Frosh before starting as RS-Sophs. It's generally also easier for players to make an impact earlier on D than it is on O.

OTOH, Pettis and Lenius weren't able to redshirt. Would've been really nice because Pettis could've used a year to get bigger / stronger....same for Lenius but he was also rawer coming out of high school...late bloomer who hit the recruiting scene towards the end.

Here is Sarkisian's recruiting in the 2011-2013 recruiting classes:

2011:

Kasen Williams: was a very good college WR until he got hurt middway through 2013. Should've redshirted in 2014 but he didn't want to. Sure could've used a healthy KW this year.

Marvin Hall: other than trick plays, he's a JAG (and one who had a critical false start @ Stanford).

Jamaal Jones: IIRC, Sarkisian pushed him out after his redshirt year.

Josh Perkins: moved to TE

2012:

Mickens: a pretty good #2 but too small and not explosive enough to be a #1

Kendyl Taylor: played as a true frosh, redshirted in 2013, played a little in 2014, and then sold couch to go to Northern Arizona. Likely overrated due to family tree.

Dwayne Washington: moved to RB at the end of his redshirt year.

2013 (lots of sizzle):

Darrell Daniels: doesn't have the best hands and should've redshirted to prepare better for the move to TE. Maybe he'll bust out as a true senior in 2016.

String!: very talented but clearly not OKG. Assault led to transfer to Nebraska for a cup of coffee before Ole Miss used their powers of persuasion (beef curtains or cash?) to get him. String also was arrested at the beginning of the year: redcuprebellion.com/2015/1/22/7872289/ole-miss-players-arrested-trae-elston-damoreea-stringfellow

String also is just 5th in receiving for Ole Miss.

John Ross: played a little bit in 2013, flashed as a deep threat in 2014, then moved to CB due to depth issues, Jermaine Kelly breaking his ankle, and then Peters getting kicked off team. Reinjured his knee and is redshirting this year. Will probably move back to WR since secondary now is a strength. Ideally will have him for 2016 and 2017.

So it's pretty understandable that players like Pettis, Lenius, and Renfro had to play early. Renfro probably would've played anyway had Pettis and Lenius redshirted since the WR depth sucks. The staff also tried to get a few JC WRs but one couldn't qualify anywhere (Brandon Snell) and one or two guys went elsewhere.

Again, sure would've been nice to have KW as a RS-SR this year.

The lack of improvement with Pettis and Lenius compared to Bierria, Victor, most of the defense is a real disappointement, I will agree to that.
    I will not go as far as you though, saying they have regressed. Some of us actually pointed out before the season that the general optimism about these 2 guys was not really based on facts, really small sample size, and it was premature to list them among the positive aspects of the team.

Other than that, I think @HeretoBeatmyChest summarized my opinion "t's hard for us to really know who sucks and who looks bad because of the rest of the offense." They are probably a bit better than what they are showing, but I don't think we are missing out on any Randy Moss because of a bad QB or bad coach here.

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    I never had any reason to believe lenius was good. He is slow. Can't change direction. When we do throw to him rarely does he fight for the ball,over smaller defensive backs like he did vs usc.

Pettis is just a guy. Never understood,the hype on either. They don't put any fear into the defense. He is just an average looking athlete but a pretty good punt returner.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    guntlove said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Broken record. We get it. Give it a rest.

God, your life must be miserable.

@HuskyinAZ... I think you make some fair points from time to time, but this idea of 'you post something critical of husky football on a message board, so you must be a miserable person in real life' is right out of the the Doogman/Kum Grinholes playbook. It's complete feces, and not the good kind that you'll find lodged deep within @EsophagealFeces throat.

Roadie makes a valid point. To me there's been a clear regression with the WR this year, part of that is obviously exacerbated by starting a true freshman QB, but it seems to go beyond that to me. Outside of Jonathan Smith being gently spritzed with napalm and set ablaze, my next preferred candidate for death by fire would be Brent Pease.

gunt.
    I'm guessing 99% of posters agree that the combination of FR QB, underperforming WRs and young OL is a recipe for disaster. Throw in brilliant work by SmithFS and PeaseFS, it's what we have today, a complete clusterfuck. I just don't see the need to continue to beat this dead horse to death. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

guntlove said:

HuskyInAZ said:

@HuskyinAZ... I think you make some fair points from time to time, but this idea of 'you post something critical of husky football on a message board, so you must be a miserable person in real life' is right out of the the Doogman/Kum Grinholes playbook. It's complete feces, and not the good kind that you'll find lodged deep within @EsophagealFeces throat.

Roadie makes a valid point. To me there's been a clear regression with the WR this year, part of that is obviously exacerbated by starting a true freshman QB, but it seems to go beyond that to me. Outside of Jonathan Smith being gently spritzed with napalm and set ablaze, my next preferred candidate for death by fire would be Brent Pease.

gunt.
    I'm guessing 99% of posters agree that the combination of FR QB, underperforming WRs and young OL is a recipe for disaster. Throw in brilliant work by SmithFS and PeaseFS, it's what we have today, a complete clusterfuck. I just don't see the need to continue to beat this dead horse to death. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

So you're saying that it's hard.
    HuskyInAZ said:

We get it. It's hard.
    HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Things are pretty good actually. Thanks for asking :smile:. Okay, I'm lying. I actually kick my dog and lash out at everyone I meet because Husky Football sucks.
    Your shit is tired. You poasts are far from insightful and clearly shows you have problems, far beyond Husky football. I hope you get them figured out. I really do.
    For Roaddawg, I guess it's just hard.
    Someone has a fetish for all things hard.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    MelloDawg said:

I didn't read anything but the OP, but I think Mickens could be a star at WSU with a passing offense, a Wes Welker type but without the hands or route running ability.

FuckOuttaHere with that shit, he is a pussy with no killer instinct
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,515 Founders Club
    haie said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Someone has a fetish for all things hard.

Everything is just so hard. Winning, taking your tongue out of Peterman's asshole. We get it, broken record. Pokemon. It's hard.
    "We" Who the fuck are you talking about. The Star Wars crowd?
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    The bubble screen is hard. Unless you run it against Washington. Then it goes for 12 and a first down.

With that in mind, maybe it does work for us sunday-friday.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,337 Founders Club
    I have not enjoyed our message boards since the Stanford game but this thread is what this board is all about. Great dialogue and exchanges of ideas.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

I have not enjoyed our message boards since the Stanford game but this thread is what this board is all about. Great dialogue and exchanges of ideas.

It is?

I thought you opened this board to babysit angry Husky fans 24/7/365.