Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vegas o/u at four wins for a reason

Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,098
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Mickens is our best receiver
True freshman quarterback
Young OL
DWarsh at RB ousted by true freshman

Let's just pretend Smith was a competent OC, he'd still have a hell of a time putting together a reasonable offense with the shit he inherited and the youth Petersen has managed to recruit so far.

What has Smith done to make you think he is any worse than you thought before? I understand why Petersen likes him. Other than the fact that he should be handing the ball off to Gaskin about 10-15% more I think the play calling isn't terrible.

We knew going in to Stanford that we were going to get plungered and we still played them to a closer margin than OSU, UCF, UA, UCLA.

Like I know it sucks to be shitty but good natured misery has turned into full blown melt down and I don't get it. We'll still probably finish with 6 wins, which is shit, but more or less expected.

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I thought we'd win 5 or 6 games this year. But it's the nature of the offense that is causing me to have the reaction I am.

Most here understand that our offense is limited, but it doesn't mean we have to be the worst offense in the conference. As I said the other day, if we were just a bit under average we'd be ahead of schedule. But we aren't, and it is on Petersen to fix it.

I agree with you that I don't think we are in as bad a spot as some are saying, but I am very concerned, especially if Petersen doesn't make massive changes in the offseason.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The offense sucks because every player is a fucking sophomore or a freshman
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's just the way things have played out that's so aggravating. You watch the games and see all these fixable mistakes and fucktarded decisions and think fuck with these guys?
  • Options
    I am not sure changes are needed over the offseason. Maybe it is just youth. Maybe it is just playcalling. Maybe it is a combination. Petersen will live or die by his decisions and as head coach he gets to make those decisions. If the team sucks next year and we aren't seeing progress on offense, changing up OCs isn't the solution to save his job. If that change needed to be made he had to make it before the evaluation period ended because he will need to be gone. It's his regime and he can do what he wants. If he trusts the OC I trust him to do what is in the best interest of his job. If he can't do better than Smith then I sure don't want to see who the hell he would replace him with.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

It's just the way things have played out that's so aggravating. You watch the games and see all these fixable mistakes and fucktarded decisions and think fuck with these guys?

They are still keeping the games close with teams despite youth and questionable at times playcalling. I get that losing sucks but they are better this year than I thought they'd be.

And anyone who thought the defense would be this good is a fucking liar after losing so many good players
  • Options

• Options

Our offense is horrible and it's not the players.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited October 2015
    The defense is better than expected and the offense is worse than expected, sounds like an A season to me. And yes, Oregon also sucks.
  • Options

The problem with this season has been too many highs and lows. We all knew this years team was just a stepping stone to next year. But what happened is they looked kinda good for the preseason and beating SC. Besides Stanford, it was a 1 possession game. Cobrah looked great for 3 straight games and gave us a false hope and maybe we forgot he was a true freshman.

Next year is the year, especially we get John Ross III back and Gaskin is just a super stud

But Fire Smith. Fuck that asshole

I think that is what the problem is, is that we see progress, our defense is rocking, and it gets our hope up. The fact that our hopes get dashed is why people are going crazy. If the defense were worse people would be more patient.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

The problem with this season has been too many highs and lows. We all knew this years team was just a stepping stone to next year. But what happened is they looked kinda good for the preseason and beating SC. Besides Stanford, it was a 1 possession game. Cobrah looked great for 3 straight games and gave us a false hope and maybe we forgot he was a true freshman.

Next year is the year, especially we get John Ross III back and Gaskin is just a super stud

But Fire Smith. Fuck that asshole

I think that is what the problem is, is that we see progress, our defense is rocking, and it gets our hope up. The fact that our hopes get dashed is why people are going crazy. If the defense were worse people would be more patient.
    If the defense was worse Owen12 would be making a long awaited visit.
  • Options

6-7 wins was expected because we thought our defense was going to be mediocre at best. Considering that it's been much better than expected despite being on the field a vast majority of every game, that raises the expectations. No one expected the offense to be great, but it's been downright shitty, and a lot of that can be blamed on coaching. If the coaches had committed to running the ball more, they'd probably have beaten BSU and Cal. If they'd ran the ball more and not fucked up the clock management, they might have beaten Oregon as well.

Yes, the OL and QB are young, and that's why you RUN THE FUCKING BALL. You can't possibly think the playcalling is acceptable. Continuing to try to throw the ball so often with your shit QB and shit OL when you have a budding superstar at RB is FS beyond reason. Not challenging Oregon's shit DBs deep once was FS. Smith is garbage, Petersen's offense is garbage, end of story.

Yeah, we should run about 10-15% more like I said. 2/3 runs is probably about right. Obviously it is not realistic to think that 100% runs will be successful if that literally becomes all we do. Yeah, BSU sucked. The play calling is better now than it was then. Wins were left on the table but honestly the play calling looks better to me than it did then (not perfect, but better). Unless people think it has gotten worse I'm not sure why people are more frustrated than they were before.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    But you and Coke are Doogs for accepting 6 wins this year!!!@!@!@!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!

I thought we'd win 5 or 6 games this year. But it's the nature of the offense that is causing me to have the reaction I am.

Most here understand that our offense is limited, but it doesn't mean we have to be the worst offense in the conference. As I said the other day, if we were just a bit under average we'd be ahead of schedule. But we aren't, and it is on Petersen to fix it.

I agree with you that I don't think we are in as bad a spot as some are saying, but I am very concerned, especially if Petersen doesn't make massive changes in the offseason.

Mad_Son said:

Mickens is our best receiver
    True freshman quarterback
    Young OL
    DWarsh at RB ousted by true freshman

Let's just pretend Smith was a competent OC, he'd still have a hell of a time putting together a reasonable offense with the shit he inherited and the youth Petersen has managed to recruit so far.

What has Smith done to make you think he is any worse than you thought before? I understand why Petersen likes him. Other than the fact that he should be handing the ball off to Gaskin about 10-15% more I think the play calling isn't terrible.

We knew going in to Stanford that we were going to get plungered and we still played them to a closer margin than OSU, UCF, UA, UCLA.

Like I know it sucks to be shitty but good natured misery has turned into full blown melt down and I don't get it. We'll still probably finish with 6 wins, which is shit, but more or less expected.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Here's why Smith has to be fired:

There's no identity or plan of an offensive system.

For those saying that that's on Petersen, that's fine. If Smith was an established OC with balls he'd tell his boss to his FACE that the offense needed an identity and would design one accordingly.

So whether he had the balls or not to stand up to his boss or he's just incompetent, either way, he's in over his head as OC.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

6-7 wins was expected because we thought our defense was going to be mediocre at best. Considering that it's been much better than expected despite being on the field a vast majority of every game, that raises the expectations. No one expected the offense to be great, but it's been downright shitty, and a lot of that can be blamed on coaching. If the coaches had committed to running the ball more, they'd probably have beaten BSU and Cal. If they'd ran the ball more and not fucked up the clock management, they might have beaten Oregon as well.

Yes, the OL and QB are young, and that's why you RUN THE FUCKING BALL. You can't possibly think the playcalling is acceptable. Continuing to try to throw the ball so often with your shit QB and shit OL when you have a budding superstar at RB is FS beyond reason. Not challenging Oregon's shit DBs deep once was FS. Smith is garbage, Petersen's offense is garbage, end of story.

Yeah, we should run about 10-15% more like I said. 2/3 runs is probably about right. Obviously it is not realistic to think that 100% runs will be successful if that literally becomes all we do. Yeah, BSU sucked. The play calling is better now than it was then. Wins were left on the table but honestly the play calling looks better to me than it did then (not perfect, but better). Unless people think it has gotten worse I'm not sure why people are more frustrated than they were before.
    I'd agree that it's better, but a little better than inexplicably fucking stupid is somewhere in the neighborhood of normal fucking stupid. There's been too many times where they gain momentum with the run only to throw 3 straight times and punt. The fact that they refer to running the ball consistently as being "stubborn with the run" tells me all I need to know. They know they shouldn't throw the ball so much, but they don't fucking care because that's what they want to do. They don't see throwing so much with a shit QB and shit OL as being stubborn, but that's exactly what it is. The overall philosophy, or lack thereof is what has me so pissed.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

For those saying that that's on Petersen, that's fine. If Smith was an established OC with balls he'd tell his boss to his FACE that the offense needed an identity and would design one accordingly.

So whether he had the balls or not to stand up to his boss or he's just incompetent, either way, he's in over his head as OC.

I'm seeing improvement. Too little too late? Maybe. Should he have been the OC originally? No. Can he be the right guy going forward? Maybe.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Way overstated. There should be concern how someone can let a clock burn with 5 min left down by a score and take 35 seconds between plays.

There should be concern when a skill player proves time and time again he is better than others and can gash a defense, and that skill player is sat while the offense moves from that scheme.

Older players and teams usually win, but that doesn't mean younger players have to play like total shit or be completely inept. And they shouldn't have their best opportunity to win snuffed out by the retard that is supposedly coordinating them.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Somebody should let Tequilla know his account has been hacked. No way a true Tequilla post is that short.