Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

In Between The Arizona and Stanford game

2»

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Yes, that tends to happen with a terrible o-coordinator, a true frosh QB, and essentially a whole new starting 5 on the OL.

We can only hope that Browning builds on his best Power 5 game of the year (vs. Oregon) and the OL continues to improve.

HFNY said:

Yeah, bad word choice.

Should read, "The D held Stanford to 18 points below their Pac-12 average and I firmly believe our D is one of the best in the Pac-12....they would have even better numbers if the offense could possess the ball longer."

I guess I could see Arizona scoring more than 20, maybe 24 tops. Preliminary O / U looks to be 57 or 58 which is still too high. I think UW wins by 4-7 points...maybe even 10 if Arizona starts to roll over towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

The only thing that could lead to UW not covering (or even winning) is yet another slow start by the offense. Petersen should script the first 10 plays with minimal JS' input.

HFNY said:

Fair point.

Kadeem Carey was also a huge stud while Nick Wilson is still banged up and their D sucks. Despite giving up 31 points to Stanford, I still think our D is one of the best in the Pac-12 and would have even better numbers if the offense could possess the ball longer.

Despite?

You mean the same Stanford team that was averaging 49 points per game in Pac-12 play before our game?
    So just like every game this year?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    HFNY said:

Fair point.

Kadeem Carey was also a huge stud while Nick Wilson is still banged up and their D sucks. Despite giving up 31 points to Stanford, I still think our D is one of the best in the Pac-12 and would have even better numbers if the offense could possess the ball longer.

HFNY said:

Arizona as a team isn't good in bad weather. BJ Denker was a running QB and Arizona really struggled in 2013 in a rainy night game at Husky Stadium.

https://washington.rivals.com/boxscore.asp?Game=41209&Team=WASHINGTON

HFNY said:

@DerekJohnson said this during the podcast and hit the nail on the head: "It's clear Jonathan Smith doesn't know what he's doing". Even with a back-up QB, I would've called a different game than how he did.

At what point does Kwiatkowski try to punch out Babushka a la Buddy Ryan?

Petersen has to coach up his coaches so he better be spending nearly all his time with Smith.

I can't believe they didn't let KJCS do a read-option with him keeping it at least once.

Trey Adams played better, nice to see.

@FremontTroll had the call to take UW +19. I got in at +18 and feel lucky since I was guessing Browning was going to play (I projected Stanford to win 33-20 with Browning playing).

I like how the OL looked (Eldrenkamp particularly) in the running game and thought the pass protection was decent. The sack I remember (out of 3) was Coleman Shelton getting beat, maybe it was a stunt.

I said it after the USC game and I'll say it again, this is a 6 win team. Don't know how that makes me a Doog in ThomasFremont's mind or that I agree with him that JS needs to be terminated.

Gotta beat Arizona to get to those 6 wins. Browning is going to play and Huskies will win 27-20 with an assist from the weather, making life difficult for Randall and / or Solomon.

How does weather make things difficult for a running QB?

It will be a lot higher than 27-20.

Say, 35-34.
    So Arizona sucked two years ago in hurricane-force winds therefore a team with the same jerseys and approximately 3-5 of the same players will suck if its raining on Saturday?

Pretty weak hypothesis.
    Yes I agree that Arizona's defense is god awful. I have them as 5th to worst out of power conference teams in yards per play adjusted for opponent.

They can't stop the run and they can't stop the pass.

It doesn't really matter who Arizona's RB is- yes Wilson is a stud but they have a stable of small, fast guys all of whom will get theirs in that offense.

Another thing to consider when looking at the over/under for Arizona games is their pace- under Rich Rod they are always in the top 10 in adjusted pace. Their o/u has only closed under 60 once in the past two years (and they've gone over the number 7/8 times this year.)

Now all that being said Smith is FS and we suck so the o/u will probably be like, 57 or so, I just think this is a perfect set-up for our offense to look good and start showing "improvement" so Smith will end up keeping his job, yay!!!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Smith has to show more than just against Arizona. Bigger test will be against Utah, which still has a pretty good D.

If they scored just 17 @ Stanford and 30 vs. UCLA at home (with a late TD or else it would've been 56-23), I really don't see them scoring more than 24 against U-Dub on the road on a rainy night.

So even if JS suddenly becomes a maestro and UW scores 31 points, 31-24 still hits the under.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    HFNY said:

Smith has to show more than just against Arizona. Bigger test will be against Utah, which still has a pretty good D.

If they scored just 17 @ Stanford and 30 vs. UCLA at home (with a late TD or else it would've been 56-23), I really don't see them scoring more than 24 against U-Dub on the road on a rainy night.

So even if JS suddenly becomes a maestro and UW scores 31 points, 31-24 still hits the under.

Ultimately this is a dumb argument because its about 50% to go under and 50% to go over. Maybe 55/45 either way but not because of either your nor my analysis in this thread.

My problem is that you came up with your position first and then looked for evidence to support it.

Randall has gotten a lot better since the Stanford and UCLA games not to mention those game scripts aren't at all applicable since Stanford and UCLA broke out the plunger early which is very unlikely to happen on Saturday.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

HFNY said:

@DerekJohnson said this during the podcast and hit the nail on the head: "It's clear Jonathan Smith doesn't know what he's doing". Even with a back-up QB, I would've called a different game than how he did.

At what point does Kwiatkowski try to punch out Babushka a la Buddy Ryan?

Petersen has to coach up his coaches so he better be spending nearly all his time with Smith.

I can't believe they didn't let KJCS do a read-option with him keeping it at least once.

Trey Adams played better, nice to see.

@FremontTroll had the call to take UW +19. I got in at +18 and feel lucky since I was guessing Browning was going to play (I projected Stanford to win 33-20 with Browning playing).

I like how the OL looked (Eldrenkamp particularly) in the running game and thought the pass protection was decent. The sack I remember (out of 3) was Coleman Shelton getting beat, maybe it was a stunt.

I said it after the USC game and I'll say it again, this is a 6 win team. Don't know how that makes me a Doog in ThomasFremont's mind or that I agree with him that JS needs to be terminated.

Gotta beat Arizona to get to those 6 wins. Browning is going to play and Huskies will win 27-20 with an assist from the weather, making life difficult for Randall and / or Solomon.

You're a doog because you think that the reason we have sucked is because of youth, not poor coaching and game planing. It's straight out of the doog playbook, blame the players not the coach.

Welcome to husky football, where the sum is always less than the parts.

Intelligent posters will note that most people predicted atleast 7-8 wins this season, but mostly due to losing so much on defense, not the offense (PetersIins wheelhouse) somehow finding a way to regress.
    Except the people that really know... the wiseguys had you at 4.5 going into the year.

You'll do better than that but No QB, no wins. End of story.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I guess you could also say debating who is going to win a game is dumb because 50% of the teams win and 50% of the teams lose.

I still think UW will win and if the under is 58, the under will be the play. Sounds like you think the O / U will end up being in the 60's?

HFNY said:

Ultimately this is a dumb argument because its about 50% to go under and 50% to go over. Maybe 55/45 either way but not because of either your nor my analysis in this thread.

My problem is that you came up with your position first and then looked for evidence to support it.

Randall has gotten a lot better since the Stanford and UCLA games not to mention those game scripts aren't at all applicable since Stanford and UCLA broke out the plunger early which is very unlikely to happen on Saturday.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

I guess you could also say debating who is going to win a game is dumb because 50% of the teams win and 50% of the teams lose.

I still think UW will win and if the under is 58, the under will be the play. Sounds like you think the O / U will end up being in the 60's?

HFNY said:

Will you STFU already with your wannabe Vegas talk? It's worse than Tequilla essays. NOGAF about how the team performs relative to the spread, or what the O/U is.

The O/U is 5.

End of discussion.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Will you STFU already with your criticism of over / under talk? This is a college football board and we are talking about the Huskies on a...surprise....Husky Football website.

HFNY said:

HFNY said:

Will you STFU already with your wannabe Vegas talk? It's worse than Tequilla essays. NOGAF about how the team performs relative to the spread, or what the O/U is.

The O/U is 5.

End of discussion.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Good idea.

ThomasInFremont and I should meet for a Happy Hour date on Aurora. I can be easy to miss but I'll have my blue briefcase with me as a sign

MisterEm said:

Will you two fuck, podcast it, and get it over with already?

The tension is thick.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

Good idea.

ThomasInFremont and I should meet for a Happy Hour date on Aurora. I can be easy to miss but I'll have my blue briefcase with me as a sign

MisterEm said:

The tension is thick.

I'm in. I'll be the one in purple.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

HFNY said:

Good idea.

MisterEm said:

The tension is thick.

I'm in. I'll be the one in purple.
    Tommy I thought the wind blew away your aids infested carcass. You've got the energy to type? Does the cover-up still hide the scabs and bruises? How's the sores on your boney prominences?