Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Basic Football Math: 4th and 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    PellumPridePellumPride Member Posts: 60
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    all that math sheet when way over my head and Pete's head. But, I've watched way more football games than Pete and I know you should NEVER punt from inside your opponent's 40. For teams with terrible offenses like UW, a possession that goes inside the 40 is as precious as Gold. You don't squander it. And, if you pay attention I guarantee this is what you'll see the next time, in any game, when some jackass coach punts from the 38:

The punt will sail into the endzone and will yield an 18 yard Net. Two plays later, the other team will have gained back the 18 yards and will be headed in the other direction with a first and 10. watch for it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's not forget that against Stanford last year in a similar spot late in the game he faked a punt rather than letting his offense try for it.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

I don't need the math to tell me that going for it is the statistically right decision ...

To me, the situation is like game theory in poker ... if I'm playing a hand and I'm a 55/45 favorite in the hand, then if I'm playing thousand of hours/hands and continually get put in that spot, then I'm an idiot for not leveraging that advantage. If I'm looking at a single instance, then perhaps I can find a better spot.

And really, that's the point that I was trying to make. Given the game/score situation, I was ok with the idea of punting knowing that the odds of Oregon scoring were far reduced with the extra 30 yards to go. I liked the chances that we could force a 3 and out (which we did before Wooching fucked it up on the punt) ... and who knows whether or not we could have forced a turnover there.

This team has shown throughout the year that they generally play better in the 2nd half than the 1st ... so given that situation and what I've seen all year, the decision to punt to me worked in parallels with the idea of shortening the game.

Now, if you give me an offense like TCU, Stanford, Baylor, etc., then I'm going to say that going for it is just fine.

A bad offense needs to score there more than a good offense does.

You still suck at this.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You are only thinking about one side of the equation ... not the other.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

You are only thinking about one side of the equation ... not the other.

You win football games by scoring more points than the other team does. If you don't score any points, you don't win.
  • Options
    DawgofThunderDawgofThunder Member Posts: 118
    5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    We get the first down, great. We still wouldn't have scored.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We get the first down, great. We still wouldn't have scored.

Might as well not even play the game
  • Options
    DawgofThunderDawgofThunder Member Posts: 118
    5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    I thought we would win. I was wrong.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Tequilla said:

I don't need the math to tell me that going for it is the statistically right decision ...

To me, the situation is like game theory in poker ... if I'm playing a hand and I'm a 55/45 favorite in the hand, then if I'm playing thousand of hours/hands and continually get put in that spot, then I'm an idiot for not leveraging that advantage. If I'm looking at a single instance, then perhaps I can find a better spot.

And really, that's the point that I was trying to make. Given the game/score situation, I was ok with the idea of punting knowing that the odds of Oregon scoring were far reduced with the extra 30 yards to go. I liked the chances that we could force a 3 and out (which we did before Wooching fucked it up on the punt) ... and who knows whether or not we could have forced a turnover there.

This team has shown throughout the year that they generally play better in the 2nd half than the 1st ... so given that situation and what I've seen all year, the decision to punt to me worked in parallels with the idea of shortening the game.

Now, if you give me an offense like TCU, Stanford, Baylor, etc., then I'm going to say that going for it is just fine.

As someone who paid his way through undergrad and graduate school with poker winnings...your analogy is awful.

It would only apply in a tournament where if you lose the gamble you are out.

That is not the situation here. If he doesn't make 4th and 1 he isn't out of the game.

And he doesn't have your option of passing on this 4th and 1 opportunity and seeing if 4th and inches comes up on the next hand. Once he punts those 1-2 points of expected value are gone and there is no way to get them back.

Also- you don't "shorten the game" by giving up possession. You "shorten the game" by keeping possession and running the ball. Not that we would want to "shorten the game" anyways- we were the goddamn FAVORITE playing at home not a 24 point underdog. Oh- and we were already losing. Again- not the time you want to "shorten the game."
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2015
    Tequilla said:

If you ever have a 55% chance to win and don't bet you are a loser, plain and simple. Save for the tourney example above, it never makes any sense not to go for it. If Pete were to be terminated if they didn't make it, then maybe you think twice about picking a better spot than a coin flip.

But Pete is the opposite of tourney mode. He is house money guaranteed 5 years and beyond regardless of outcome. It was a very poor loser play that will cost UW games over the long haul, thus why we are losers.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dflea said:

Sometimes when I go fishing I have to shit in the woods.

I always bring paper towels, because this is no event to fuck around with.

On occasion, I don;t get the job done right, even with paper towels, and I wind up having monkey butt. When fishing - or hunting - or doing virtually any fucking thing, having monkey butt is a bad outcome.

I'd rather have the itchiest, reddest ass in the world than watch a game like that piece of shit again. Annnnnnnd I'd take 4 shits without wiping my ass at all if we could figure out how to play fucking football again.,

This is why I love this board.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dflea said:

Sometimes when I go fishing I have to shit in the woods.

I always bring paper towels, because this is no event to fuck around with.

On occasion, I don;t get the job done right, even with paper towels, and I wind up having monkey butt. When fishing - or hunting - or doing virtually any fucking thing, having monkey butt is a bad outcome.

I'd rather have the itchiest, reddest ass in the world than watch a game like that piece of shit again. Annnnnnnd I'd take 4 shits without wiping my ass at all if we could figure out how to play fucking football again.,

If you wiped your ass with paper towels instead of toilet paper you're still going to have a red ass.