Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Salt in the wound

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    doogville said:

Tequilla said:

Oregon's first score came from 2 broken plays ...

As the game played out, the vast majority of Oregon's success came from broken plays ...

I expect that the coaching staff had confidence in the defense to hold/maintain Oregon's offense, including their running game (which the numbers supported at the end of the game).

For our offense, points are at a premium. Forcing them to play catchup early doesn't help at all.

Punting was the correct call.

Holy shit. It actually was definitively not the right call. Because they punted (0 pts for us (Us?)), and Oregon scored (7 pts, if you are keeping track).

This is not a theoretical exercise. They actually punted and it was the wrong fucking call!

Are we done now or do you want to keep going?

Because I could also address how, if your defense is your strength, THAT IS ALL THE MORE REASON TO TAKE HIGH PERCENTAGE OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP OUT YOUR OFFENSE AND SCORE CRITICALLY IMPORTANT POINTS.
    This is a great post if you were factually correct ... but you aren't.

We had 4th and 1 on the 39 ... we punted to the 10.

On the next drive, defense held Oregon to a 3 and out until Psalm Wooching went offsides on a 4th and 4 to give Oregon a 1st down. Oregon got a nice run from Freeman on the next 2 plays to give Oregon a 1st down before that drive sputtered and they punted it back to us with a 50 yard punt that went out of bounds at our 5.

Get the punt where you should have had it (from the Oregon 15), and even with a 40 yard net kick we get the ball back at the 45 yard line.

First play of the next drive was a 34 yard run by Gaskin. That would have immediately put us in FG range.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

As the game played out, the vast majority of Oregon's success came from broken plays ...

I expect that the coaching staff had confidence in the defense to hold/maintain Oregon's offense, including their running game (which the numbers supported at the end of the game).

For our offense, points are at a premium. Forcing them to play catchup early doesn't help at all.

Holy shit. It actually was definitively not the right call. Because they punted (0 pts for us (Us?)), and Oregon scored (7 pts, if you are keeping track).

This is not a theoretical exercise. They actually punted and it was the wrong fucking call!

Because I could also address how, if your defense is your strength, THAT IS ALL THE MORE REASON TO TAKE HIGH PERCENTAGE OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP OUT YOUR OFFENSE AND SCORE CRITICALLY IMPORTANT POINTS.

On the next drive, defense held Oregon to a 3 and out until Psalm Wooching went offsides on a 4th and 4 to give Oregon a 1st down. Oregon got a nice run from Freeman on the next 2 plays to give Oregon a 1st down before that drive sputtered and they punted it back to us with a 50 yard punt that went out of bounds at our 5.

Get the punt where you should have had it (from the Oregon 15), and even with a 40 yard net kick we get the ball back at the 45 yard line.

First play of the next drive was a 34 yard run by Gaskin. That would have immediately put us in FG range.
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda. When did you turn into such a Doog?
  • Options

Look @Tequilla, I get what you're trying to say, but in a game where you average around six yards per carry a 4th and 1 is no worse than a coin flip. There's a lot that's been written recently by the stat nerds that shows going on 4th on the opponents end of the field is nearly always the correct choice.

Trust me, I totally get the other side of the coin.

Game theory would absolutely say that if we're averaging 6 yards per play that we're a huge favorite to get 1 yard.

There's no guarantee that we're going to score if we get the first down. The risk of not getting the first not only is a short field for the opposition, but even best case if we hold to a 3 and out is a punt that puts us inside our own 20 (which is what ended up happening after we punted, got the stop, Wooching's offsides gave Oregon a first, 2 Freeman runs got a 1st, and they ended up punting from essentially where we had punted it and stuck us down inside our 10).

Our offense is showing the ability to move the ball 20-40 yards a possession at least a reasonable percentage of the time right now. What's killing it is ill-timed penalties (young and at times overmatched OL) and sacks as we don't have enough explosive abilities to be able to make up chunk plays on demand.

Because of that, our best path to success is to find opportunities for our offense to have short fields caused either by turnovers or playing field position and all the while doing that forcing the opposition to go long fields as the odds of the opposition having 70+ yard drives is fairly low.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

It's not being a Doog ... it's understanding what our capabilities are.

How many times in the last 3-4 years has Pete Carroll punted the ball in the same position with the Hawks? When you have an above average special teams and strong defense, it's the right play.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

How many times in the last 3-4 years has Pete Carroll punted the ball in the same position with the Hawks? When you have an above average special teams and strong defense, it's the right play.
    Well then you would have to look at how the defense performed, and those pesky explosion plays which you've been trying to discredit. Their inability to get off the field on third and long as well as their trouble preventing the big plays shows they weren't good enough to play a pure field position game. Gotta score points when you give up 26, and you're not going to do that punting from the opponents 39.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

I don't remember Carroll punting may times on 4th and 1 in the opponents territory at USC.
    He also had the superior talent on his side at USC as well ... we don't at this point. Apples and Oranges.
  • Options
    First, I think that they were expecting them to put up in the 20-24 range ... but even at 26, early in the game, you still have to like your chances at creating a turnover, etc. to get a easy score or two. Perhaps in hindsight they would go for it given how things turned out but you can't do that at the time.

And while you are trying to put words into my mouth on those pesky explosion plays, sometimes those are the difference in the game. We had the opportunity to makes plays there and we consistently failed while Oregon made them. As Race said, winners win and losers lose. On those plays, we lost and they won. In my opinion, those plays were the difference in the game. Generally speaking, I thought the defense played well enough to win. But I'm also sure that those plays will be brought up in film study showing how important every play can be and how the difference between a great play for us/them can be as simple as missing a tackle/sack.

And while this isn't meant as if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle type of comment, even in my biggest doog moment would I have thought that after 6 games that we'd be 3-3 with the 3 losses being situations where we had the ball at the end with a chance to win. For as far away as we feel we are at times, we're not that far away on the other. It's maddening and frustrating ... but in my mind I feel like we're a little further ahead than where I thought we'd be this year.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Doogles said:

This program loves to face plant before real progress is made. Now we pitter patter through the schedule and end up fighting hunger against the mountain west in mid December. The narrative is we're young with a bright future.
    L, R, R.

Real progress hasn't been made in this program since 2000, but still.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

When points are at a premium, you take every last fucking chance you have to score them.

Hope this helps, dumbfuck.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

He's been a Doog forever.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    UW is a middling team in a shitty, parity driven pac-12. A win against USC is lovely, however it's worthless when you back it up with the shit sandwich we saw Saturday. Nobody assumed UW was winning 10 games this year, so what is the point of not taking chances on the season? CP isn't getting fired for going for it this season and considering our offense isn't exactly explosive taking a few chances is the only way we score.

First and foremost you said that the only way oregon really scored were blown plays. Coaches don't count on blown plays, thus he should have assumed his defense should be able to hold oregon even if we were to be stopped from 60 yards away. If we can't than we weren't winning the game anyway.

UW hasn't won vs oregon in a decade. The sad part is that CP has had two more wins against Oregon with another team than UW has in the last 11 years. CP built a reputation for his creativity and balls, yet most of his tenure at UW has been basic vanilla offense with no creativity, TE use, or downfield plays with the constant drum beat of Youth as to why we aren't expanding the playbook. I know everyone says that you become a conservative as you age, but i was hoping for just politics, not football. What do you lose by going for it early in the game? The defense is the best thing we have, it certainly isn't our shitty WR's who can't catch passes the 1 out of 8 times browning actually throws it on target.

UW is going to hope for a bowl bid, but even that is marginal hope at best. Why the fuck should we care if we lose 45-7 or not? We need creativity to try new things not the same boring shit that makes nobody want to watch the game. We've seen that for some time. Guess who pushed the field with a walk on qb and beat oregon? FUCKING WSU. We were more scared than the fucking cougs. I'm so tired of watching this team be vanilla. We see the exact same formation, the exact same fucking snap count, the same vaginal calls on plays for fear of a turn over. Christ who cares? Now that we're a ways into the season, I have seen hundreds of football games and we're the only team in the nation who regularly relies on a stupid clap for snapping the ball. The worst part is that it still continues to be a 2 count on 90% of our plays. Is our QB so lacking in sack that he can scream a call at home? Even better all the defense can gauge when a play will be run.

I have always looked at this season as a way to build for the future. I'm assuming CP did too with his anointing browning at QB. Why are we trying to run games as if we're Alabama? Take some chances, run some plays and create some options that players can call on in the next couple years.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Look @Tequilla, I get what you're trying to say, but in a game where you average around six yards per carry a 4th and 1 is no worse than a coin flip. There's a lot that's been written recently by the stat nerds that shows going on 4th on the opponents end of the field is nearly always the correct choice.

It's more like 3.6 ypc. You have to take out the long run.
  • Options

I don't even know why they bothered giving Gaskin six points.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I was being a little facetious
  • Options

I was being a little facetious
    I was being a lot whooshed.