Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Reagan on gun control

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
http://www.vox.com/2015/10/5/9455805/ronald-reagan-gun-control

Reagan, who was himself a shooting victim during his time in office, wrote:

It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk. …

[F]our lives were changed forever, and all by a Saturday-night special — a cheaply made .22 caliber pistol — purchased in a Dallas pawnshop by a young man with a history of mental disturbance.

This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now — the Brady bill — had been law back in 1981.

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,084 Founders Club
    Reagan is dead you asshole. I don't start threads about JFK. Show some fucking respect.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,061
    Reagan probably said some even crazier s#it than this after 91.
    #Alzheimer'scrazyshit
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    if the Brady Bill had been passed... this never would have happened.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2015
    I love how your version of "gun control" lumps background checks as it and ignores banning types of guns, waiting periods, etc...you know, the stuff that people are much more worried about.

And another side question...why are Liberals trying to get the right to vote to all of the same people they are trying to ban from owning guns? These people are not competent enough to own a gun, but they sure as hell better not have their vote disenfranchised and be able to pull the lever for any and all (D)s. Any you better not ask them for any ID when they do it.

#HondoFS
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I love how your version of "gun control" lumps background checks as it and ignores banning types of guns, waiting periods, etc...you know, the stuff that people are much more worried about.

And another side question...why are Liberals trying to get the right to vote to all of the same people they are trying to ban from owning guns? These people are not competent enough to own a gun, but they sure as hell better not have their vote disenfranchised and be able to pull the lever for any and all (D)s. Any you better not ask them for any ID when they do it.

#HondoFS

I'm not sure any felon has the right to vote or the right to own a gun.

HTH
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,320
    Strict background checks are fine, but limiting an everyday, sane, law following person's right to own guns is bullshit.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2015
    Depends on the state for voting and several things for guns. But you missed the point entirely (big surprise).

#HondoFS
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    What a cool day to be a Reagan's rotting corpse dick sucker.

Strict background checks are fine, but limiting an everyday, sane, law following person's right to own guns is bullshit.

Yes. What law was proposed in the last 7 years that has limited sometimes right to own a gun?
    2001400ex said:

Yes. What law was proposed in the last 7 years that has limited sometimes right to own a gun?
    It bans the type of guns a person can carry.

2001400ex said:

Um no. No law at the federal level proposed that.
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Um no. No law at the federal level proposed that.
    http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/summary-president-obama-gun-proposals.aspx

You're welcome
    You said this:

It does not do that. It only banned future sales of certain weapons. Like the Brady bill. It does not limit what you can carry that you previously owned.

And you are welcome.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,477
    I support mandatory gun licenses, but all weapons should be legal as long as you are trained to operate them and not crazy. If you have to pass a safety class to drive a car I think you should have to pass a gun safety class to own a firearm. And hey, more tax revenue for the man, so they should be happy. And probably a mental health screening, but how do you get it administered fairly without politics influencing the results? That is the question.
    edited October 2015
    2001400ex said:

You said this:

It does not do that. It only banned future sales of certain weapons. Like the Brady bill. It does not limit what you can carry that you previously owned.

And you are welcome.

So since it ONLY restricts future purchases, that makes it ok? Again, it restricts the guns everyday, sane, law following citizens can purchase.

I am completely for strict background checks. But if someone passes those checks, they should be able to buy whatever they want.

If you can't see that restrictions on future gun purchases are a violation of the 2nd amendment, then you really are nuts.

2001400ex said:

You said this:

And you are welcome.

So since it ONLY restricts future purchases, that makes it ok? Again, it restricts the guns everyday, sane, law following citizens can purchase.

I am completely for strict background checks. But if someone passes those checks, they should be able to buy whatever they want.

If you can't see that restrictions on future gun purchases are a violation of the 2nd amendment, then you really are nuts.
    I was mostly with you until the end. The Brady bill was not ruled unconstitutional (and it lapsed 10 years later). Not to mention the laws that restrict fully automatic weapons.

That being said, would you support everything else on that list if the gun ban were taken off?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Why do more laws need to be passed for law abiding people to follow?

What teal or imagined benefit do I receive?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,938 Founders Club

Why do more laws need to be passed for law abiding people to follow?

What teal or imagined benefit do I receive?

They want all the guns. So does Hondo. He's too gutless to say it. At ozone admitted it. So did some WaPo editorialist this week

What's so bad about a gun free society?