Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Byron Marhsall Likely Out For The Year for the Ducks

2»

Comments

• PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Even without Marshall, Oregon's offense is still above average. It's bad when compared to other Oregon teams, but when compared to the entire Pac 12, it's above average.

Now the defense is a completely different story. This is the worst defense Oregon has ever had sense it's creation in 1994. With an average defense, Oregon is a 9 win team. With this defense, Oregon's ceiling is 7, while 5-6 wins is very likely. A season like this might give us great insight in our long term future. If fans get angry and demand change, I'll be delighted. If the majority give us "I'm supporting this team no matter what", "They're doing their best", "Remember before Kenny Wheaton's pick?", and any other loser talk like that, I'm done. That will only tell me that this program will fall into the similar fate that UW has fallen into. Why many of you stuck it out and stayed fans of that team is amazing to me. I don't have the patients to wait 15 years for a decent product to be shown on the field. I'll pick the easy route and switch to Sunday football.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even without Marshall, Oregon's offense is still above average. It's bad when compared to other Oregon teams, but when compared to the entire Pac 12, it's above average.

Now the defense is a completely different story. This is the worst defense Oregon has ever had sense it's creation in 1994. With an average defense, Oregon is a 9 win team. With this defense, Oregon's ceiling is 7, while 5-6 wins is very likely. A season like this might give us great insight in our long term future. If fans get angry and demand change, I'll be delighted. If the majority give us "I'm supporting this team no matter what", "They're doing their best", "Remember before Kenny Wheaton's pick?", and any other loser talk like that, I'm done. That will only tell me that this program will fall into the similar fate that UW has fallen into. Why many of you stuck it out and stayed fans of that team is amazing to me. I don't have the patients to wait 15 years for a decent product to be shown on the field. I'll pick the easy route and switch to Sunday football.

The difference is you have Phil Knight and he's not one of those pussy fans. At least I don't think he is. I don't know all the ins and outs of Oregon's upper campus, but they mostly concede to Uncle Phil, no? The fans don't fucking matter. If they did, Oregon would have never gotten good.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

Every team that lost their Heisman QB as far back as a long time have all went 8-5 the next year.

I see that as spot on. Colorado, UW, OS, and WAZZU will be closer than they should be but wins. They'll steal two out of the remaining group of decent teams they play.

Ohio State went 10-3 after Troy Smith
    Those SC didn't go 8-5 after Palmer and Leinart

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

Every team that lost their Heisman QB as far back as a long time have all went 8-5 the next year.

I see that as spot on. Colorado, UW, OS, and WAZZU will be closer than they should be but wins. They'll steal two out of the remaining group of decent teams they play.

Bro, I'm a Duck fan. Football started in 1994. A long time is like five years ago.

2009 - Tim Tebow's last season after 2007 Heisman
    2010 - Florida goes 8-5, including 31-6, 31-7 losses

2010 - Cam Newton
    2011 - Auburn goes 8-5, including 45-7 and 45-10 losses

2011 - Robert Griffin III
    2012 - Baylor goes 8-5, defense gives up 42, 42, 45, 49, 56, and 70 points

2013 - Johnny Manziel, last season after 2012 Heisman
    2014 - Tex AM goes 8-5, loses 59-0 to Alabama, beats Louisiana-Monroe by 5

Also OU went 8-5 after Bradford left.

Losing a Heisman QB is hell.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Mosster47 said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but I think your 8-5 stat is 81% wrong.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,429
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Air Raid vs the Disciplined_hole Oregon secondary could get ugly.

Prediction: If Lockie starts, coogs beat the ducks.

It would really funny if the Coogs beat Oregon followed by Oregon plungering UW.
    You know what would be even funnier? If Peterman turned out to be shit and was fired in 4 years, and then UW really says fuck it and hires Tui to be hc for nostalgic purposes and we just go 7-6 forever.
  • doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    *since

An Oregon education on display. Pump my gas, duck.

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Oregon's conference schedule:

Utah: LOSS
    @Colorado
    Washington State
    @ Washington
    @ASU
    CAL
    @Stanford
    USC
    Oregon St

Oregon needs to go 4-5 in conference to be bowl eligible.

The big concern that I see with Oregon at this point given the debacle that they have at the QB position combined with some of their most recent injuries, as well as factoring in their horrendous defense, I can see them struggling in games that we normally wouldn't expect.

Each of their next 3 games are winnable, but 2 of them are on the road. Colorado can score points ... how much has their defense improved? Oregon probably wins that game. Can't imagine that the Cougs go into Autzen and win ... but they have also played Oregon tough in the last few years. Washington presents somewhat of a different challenge in that while the offense isn't particularly explosive, the defense is at worst in the top half of the conference (probably in the top third) and has a chance to contain Oregon's much more mediocre offense.

ASU could be a swing game for them as both of these teams could be heading down the shitter. ASU's pressure could cause problems though and rattle whoever Oregon's QB is for this game.

I feel like Goff should be able to shred the Oregon defense and even though the Cal defense sucks ... very possible that Cal can outscore them. Stanford should be able to beat them at home by punching them in the mouth. SC should be interesting ... but at this point, SC has to be the favorite.

Oregon State could also be interesting. I expect the Beavs to play hard all year and improve. Oregon probably has too much for the Beavs ... but this will be a better game than anybody would have thought at the beginning of the year.

My gut says that Oregon wins 4-5 conference games at most. This definitely has a 2001/2002 UW feel to it.

Holy shit, what if Slingblade is Oregon's Neuheisel rather then their Lambo. One last hurrah in 2000 2014, and then the relatively quick slide into first mediocrity, and then oblivion. 2021 should be special.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mosster47 said:

Those SC teams were the real deal. The 2008 USC team is the most slept on of all time.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Mosster47 said:

Those SC teams were the real deal. The 2008 USC team is the most slept on of all time.
    They lost to a 9-4 Oregon State team that won the Sun Bowl over Pitt by a whopping 3-0 score.

Yeah, they deserve being slept on.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The difference is you have Phil Knight and he's not one of those pussy fans. At least I don't think he is. I don't know all the ins and outs of Oregon's upper campus, but they mostly concede to Uncle Phil, no? The fans don't fucking matter. If they did, Oregon would have never gotten good.
    Phil Knight is a man of principle.

Oregon, not so much.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You really want to do this again? You ready to take the golves off, Boobs?

espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=213140103
  • FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes

Bama went 10-3 in 2010 the year after Ingram's Heisman....but still

i would carpet bomb african orphanages for a 10 win season...
    Bombs sure, but would you drop burning couches on them?
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

They lost to a 9-4 Oregon State team that won the Sun Bowl over Pitt by a whopping 3-0 score.

Funny story about that. That was a thursdAy night game in Corvallis. I may or may not have used to work closely with the usc ath dept. instead of flying in on Wednesday night and prepping for the game all day Thursday in oregon, usc flew out the fucking Thursday afternoon of the game. Arrived in Eugene 2.5 hours before kick. Got to the stadium 90 mins before kick. Changed, stretched for like 15 mins, dicked around in the locker room, then tried to play. After that genius setup, they were down like 21-3 at half. They made a run in the second half but it wasn't enough. But hey, petey and sark got to spend that wednesday night at the 9-0 hittin on skanks. So, worth it?
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

Mosster47 said:

Funny story about that. That was a thursdAy night game in Corvallis. I may or may not have used to work closely with the usc ath dept. instead of flying in on Wednesday night and prepping for the game all day Thursday in oregon, usc flew out the fucking Thursday afternoon of the game. Arrived in Eugene 2.5 hours before kick. Got to the stadium 90 mins before kick. Changed, stretched for like 15 mins, dicked around in the locker room, then tried to play. After that genius setup, they were down like 21-3 at half. They made a run in the second half but it wasn't enough. But hey, petey and sark got to spend that wednesday night at the 9-0 hittin on skanks. So, worth it?
    Depends on the skanks.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    Well it's the 9-0....so most likely torrey pines or Orange County skanks who make you wear a rubber and only let you get it missionary.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    ntxduck said:

make you wear a rubber and only let you get it missionary.

Yeah, but still
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    0-12 = Oregon State

Soon to be 0-36.