Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A troubling issue going forward.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited September 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
A couple times last night, Danny Shelton tapped his helmet and called for a replacement. He was gassed, and needed a break.

This is where Sark's inability to develop interior DLs comes to bite us. Who is an effective replacement? Lagafuaina? Potoa'e? Josh Banks? Uhh...No.

Evan Hudson - a guy that played TE last year - is a starting defensive tackle. That should tell everyone how crappy our interior DL is playing.

Also, I focused on Corey Littleton. He NEVER got penetration. NEVER got pressure. And, he FREQUENTLY got knocked backward on running plays. Shirley played slightly better than Littleton, IMO, but he certainly wasn't a difference maker.

I'm VERY happy with the win, but no adequate backups on the interior D-line, and an inability to bring heat from the edge is a troubling issue going forward.

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Littleton did terrible when he played last year as well. Him playing over Shirley last year was one of my biggest complaints about Wilcox. He must be performing well in practice, but I have yet to see him impress even once in a game.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So no push up the middle?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2013

Water is wet

Still a good fucking point though...if there was one area last night that concerned me, it was our total lack of pressure and half our guys being on roller skates.

I could not believe my eyes, but the OL looked totally different, not all conference, but capable, especially in pass pro - HOLY FUCK! When was the last time that happened?

QB play was great. Trust issued resolved for one game.

Where the fuck have those WRs been? Great play.

Sankey was Sankey. Boss, just like last year.

LB'ers all put a hat on the right guys and filled lanes.

DB's kept things in front of them and tackled aggressively.

Oh yeah, our fucking back 7 looks, for the first time in a decade, like somebody taught them how to fucking wrap up. Best tackling game I have seen by UW in literally years.

Even our special teams looked okay, and we finally showcased some team speed. Even that clusterfuck of a Coach Sark called what I thought was a super solid game.

Doog rant over....

But WTF is wrong with our DL? Well, we all know the answer. The guys Sark and his merry band of fuckwads (Holt, etc) recruited suck donkey balls. Literally in this case.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, the only compaint I really have is that our DL got absolutely dominated by their guys. They got way too many 8 yard gains on draw plays and our DL was getting shoved backwards on almost every play
  • Options
    Founders Club

Yeah, the only compaint I really have is that our DL got absolutely dominated by their guys. They got way too many 8 yard gains on draw plays and our DL was getting shoved backwards on almost every play

Exactly. You did that in a much more TL;DR fashion than I could. So fuck off.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    We got more pressure on them in the bowl game.

I haven't seen anything from Littleton ever. I think Mathis made one play. Will have to watch a replay but the DL was definitely the weak spot. I think Kikaha/Jamora did make a few key plays and was definitely a huge upgrade over Chricton.

Its too bad...a Deandre Coleman next to Shelton is what this D is really missing. Good news is the DL class was very good so the DL should only get better.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    The issue is, we need another Shelton type in the middle NOW, and next year we will need TWO of them. Fuck. Maybe Mathis breaks out as a Freshman? Banks turns it on? I don't fucking know, but our DL is a train wreck.
  • Options
    trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Swaye said:

The issue is, we need another Shelton type in the middle NOW, and next year we will need TWO of them. Fuck. Maybe Mathis breaks out as a Freshman? Banks turns it on? I don't fucking know, but our DL is a train wreck.

I'm hearing that WR Ross may also play DE.

Sark wants to "up-tempo" the defense, too.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    He is good for 4 wins after all. Make that shifty little fucker work for his locker space.
  • Options

Very little.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

Very little.
    Any word on heat from the edge?
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

Did you watch the game? The artist formerly known as Jamora made his presence known a few times, but where was Littleton? Where was Hudson?

Granted the opposing QB got rid of the ball quickly, which neutralized our pass rush. But still, even when he hung onto the ball it seemed our DEs where waltzing with the boise's OTs.

The D Line needs work. They'll be okay against speedy spread teams, but I'm worried they're going to get completely blown up when they face power. We'll see.

Definitely liked what I saw from Jamora though. He could have a big year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

Did you watch the game? The artist formerly known as Jamora made his presence known a few times, but where was Littleton? Where was Hudson?

Granted the opposing QB got rid of the ball quickly, which neutralized our pass rush. But still, even when he hung onto the ball it seemed our DEs where waltzing with the boise's OTs.

Of course I watched the game. What kind of question is that? I was there. Which I doubt you were.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

I nerded out and watched DL/OL exclusively on 2nd replay. Hudson was double teamed quite often and held his own, IMO. Littleton had zero presence. The Artist was spotty in the first half but shined as the BSU OL fatigued.

Make no mistake, I think our lines will be plundered by Stanford as they sat yesterday but I saw some improvement.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Passion said:

Of course I watched the game. What kind of question is that? I was there. Which I doubt you were.
    Uhhh...I flew 3,000 miles to be there and lost my voice by the 3rd quarter.

The only crappy part of the day was my friend who took on responsibility for bringing beer to the tailgate. Friggin' coors light? Piss water.
  • Options
    MisterEm said:

Passion said:

I nerded out and watched DL/OL exclusively on 2nd replay. Hudson was double teamed quite often and held his own, IMO. Littleton had zero presence. The Artist was spotty in the first half but shined as the BSU OL fatigued.

Make no mistake, I think our lines will be plundered by Stanford as they sat yesterday but I saw some improvement.
    Regarding Shirley, on the 4th and 1 he may have been the difference maker. The TV announcers gave Shaq credit, but it was Shirley that crashed from the end and got Ajayi (sp?) by the legs.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Passion said:

MisterEm said:

Passion said:

Regarding Shirley, on the 4th and 1 he may have been the difference maker. The TV announcers gave Shaq credit, but it was Shirley that crashed from the end and got Ajayi (sp?) by the legs.
    I saw the same thing from Shirley on the 4th down stop