Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What player surprised you the most (positive and negative)?

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    PurpleJ said:

Positive: Win a fucking game and we will talk
    Negative: D-line. Pick anyone. They all looked undersized and couldn't generate a pass rush.

Did you even watch the game?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

I was impressed with Eldrenkamp. He was pushing guys around on pass block. passes the look test. Run game away a clusterfuck and I didn't see how he performed there.

Negative: wide receivers. Would name one but who cares.

Whooosh? How could you put the WRs as a negative given the scheme/playcalling?
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,040
    I'm dooging hard for Chico. SPSL!!!!
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727

Browning looked pretty good. He threw some nice balls, moved around in the pocket, barked orders, wasn't nervous, etc. He looked like he belonged, but objectively speaking, he played like shit. 20-34 for 150 and a pick is a terrible game.

We've harped on the offensive coaching enough, but our talent isn't that bad. It's really not. And even if it is bad, I still expect to have a good enough coach to coax something out of them. It's fucking pathetic. The defense and special teams set them up multiple times with outstanding field position and they twiddled their dicks and kicked FG's. I think they got one first down on either of those drives.

It's really depressing that Petersen and his staff had a long time to reflect on last year's dreckfest of an offense and improve it. All off season to make necessary tweaks and changes. And we come out and play arguably the worst offensive game of the Petersen era. We all know how bad some of those games were last year too. This was as bad or worse than ASU and Stanford last year. There were some good things going on, but it's hard to feel good about anything with this embarrassing of a showing.

This
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

He is not the one who disappointed me the most, you guys already mentioned them, but Travis Feeney as a DE didn't do it for me. I thought it was a waste of his talent and I prefer him as a LB who can swarm to the ball and every now and then blitz the passer. The second half felt more like this, I didn't pay attention if he was lining up the same.

I agree, OTOH I said similar but opposite things about Kikaha (why is he playing pass coverage? We need him rushing the QB every snap! etc) after the Eastern game last year and he went on to a monster season. The buck position still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but it worked really well last year once Kikaha got his feet under him. It's possible the same happens for Feeney. OTOH Kikaha was better pre-buck than Feeney, so maybe not. EWIWBI?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,780 Founders Club
    Disappointed Petersen is still the coach today
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    dnc said:

He is not the one who disappointed me the most, you guys already mentioned them, but Travis Feeney as a DE didn't do it for me. I thought it was a waste of his talent and I prefer him as a LB who can swarm to the ball and every now and then blitz the passer. The second half felt more like this, I didn't pay attention if he was lining up the same.

I agree, OTOH I said similar but opposite things about Kikaha (why is he playing pass coverage? We need him rushing the QB every snap! etc) after the Eastern game last year and he went on to a monster season. The buck position still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but it worked really well last year once Kikaha got his feet under him. It's possible the same happens for Feeney. OTOH Kikaha was better pre-buck than Feeney, so maybe not. EWIWBI?
    You are right, I forgot I felt the same with Kikaha last year. Wait and see I guess.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279

Browning looked pretty good. He threw some nice balls, moved around in the pocket, barked orders, wasn't nervous, etc. He looked like he belonged, but objectively speaking, he played like shit. 20-34 for 150 and a pick is a terrible game.

We've harped on the offensive coaching enough, but our talent isn't that bad. It's really not. And even if it is bad, I still expect to have a good enough coach to coax something out of them. It's fucking pathetic. The defense and special teams set them up multiple times with outstanding field position and they twiddled their dicks and kicked FG's. I think they got one first down on either of those drives.

It's really depressing that Petersen and his staff had a long time to reflect on last year's dreckfest of an offense and improve it. All off season to make necessary tweaks and changes. And we come out and play arguably the worst offensive game of the Petersen era. We all know how bad some of those games were last year too. This was as bad or worse than ASU and Stanford last year. There were some good things going on, but it's hard to feel good about anything with this embarrassing of a showing.

I would say UWs offensive talent surpasses Colorado, Oregon State, and Wazzu. Maybe Utah, but they have Booker. So it's below average, but not befitting of the worst offense in the league.

I thought it was odd they never opened up vertically to make BSU pay for stacking the box. Boise actually didn't pressure a ton, they just took away the run completely. My guess is Peterson thought his defense could win him a FG and field position battle...and he was almost correct. He just ran out of time.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I would say UWs offensive talent surpasses Colorado, Oregon State, and Wazzu. Maybe Utah, but they have Booker. So it's below average, but not befitting of the worst offense in the league.

I thought it was odd they never opened up vertically to make BSU pay for stacking the box. Boise actually didn't pressure a ton, they just took away the run completely. My guess is Peterson thought his defense could win him a FG and field position battle...and he was almost correct. He just ran out of time.
    Stanford says hello.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

the maddening thing about the game is that Boise didn't stack the box against us. They had two high safeties almost exclusively. We were up against a 7 or even 6 man box probably 90% of the time and we could not run the ball. It was a carbon copy of the Stanford game from last year.