Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official UW vs. Boise St Game Thread

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Frustrating ending but overall the team performed as I expected (win or close loss), which is better than what all the experts were predicting before the game.

The team never gave up, the defense got really strong in the second half. The special team is well coached. These are all positives that we can build from and seem like a solid trend with this coaching staff.
    The offensive play calling was the biggest disappointment. It is something to play safe to help Browning, but it is counter productive if the defense can predict every play you are gonna run before the snap.
    The running game. I didn't pay enough attention to the OL but I thought the running game would do much better.

Hopefully you weren't expecting the defense and special teams to outscore the offense this year
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Muttzen said:

If we can play that shittily and only lose by 2, there is some hope for the future. This season is still over (we won't compete for pac title). Browning looks like he has what it takes to develop. When he starts to gain command of the offense, we will spread the defense.

But Boise clearly sucks.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Lenius is 6'5…hard for him to block a guy legally without holding that is 8 inches shorter.

Lenius had a great block, Mickens reversed field in front of him so defender reversed and a great block turned into a hold. That happens a lot when players reverse field. 100% on Mickens.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We couldn't even decapitate one of their QBs...
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Lenius is 6'5…hard for him to block a guy legally without holding that is 8 inches shorter.

Lenius had a great block, Mickens reversed field in front of him so defender reversed and a great block turned into a hold. That happens a lot when players reverse field. 100% on Mickens.
    Mickens still plays like it's HS.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,519
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    "I thought we would perform better on offense" -Petersen

No shit.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Throw for the first, if you get it, the clock stops so you can spike, at worst you throw it away

If you get tackled in bounds or sacked, you lose without ever even trying a kick.
    But they could have spiked the ball with only a few seconds left on the clock.
    Spiking the ball on fourth down only works for Colorado.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Muttzen said:

If we can play that shittily and only lose by 2, there is some hope for the future. This season is still over (we won't compete for pac title). Browning looks like he has what it takes to develop. When he starts to gain command of the offense, we will spread the defense.

Or Boise sucks too.
  • Options
    Sundevil76Sundevil76 Member Posts: 109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2015

brchco12 said:

We found a QB today, it's nice to see someone running the offense who isn't hyperventilating and about to pass out.

Browning looks like he can play, but all he is at this point is a guy with some potential. He was terrible before the final drive and made freshman errors on that drive too. It was to be expected, but if we judge him on his game tonight, he sucked.
    As an outsider, I think he is going to be very good and for his first game did a great job. He will be a force in a year and wins some games this year. Lot better than Anu at Arizona, that had the benefit to start as a redshirt freshman with more offensive help.
  • Options

Throw for the first, if you get it, the clock stops so you can spike, at worst you throw it away

If you get tackled in bounds or sacked, you lose without ever even trying a kick.
    I meant not spiking it on 3rd down with 23 seconds still left on the clock. Make Boise call a time out, or spike it with like 5 seconds left and then kick.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I meant not spiking it on 3rd down with 23 seconds still left on the clock. Make Boise call a time out, or spike it with like 5 seconds left and then kick.
    Oh yeah that was dumb. The coaches were trying to get Jake's attention and Jake got it right after he did it.

• Options

Oh yeah that was dumb. The coaches were trying to get Jake's attention and Jake got it right after he did it.

I would have been mad if Boise state had scored on the ensuing drive...I am sort of glad the Winkle missed it instead of that happening.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Loved the fight, but sheesh. Frustrating.

Maybe from one side of the ball
    Fuck off.
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    where's that asshat from cal? He lost his bet.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

HuskyInAZ said:

You are really reaching for this one.

Thump said:

HuskyInAZ said:

How fitting that the game with great special teams is ended with a missed kicked caused by inept play calling

Help me out here. How was the play calling the issue.
    We needed more hidden ball plays?
    Th hidden ball play went for 5 yards.....could have been more is FS Mickens wasn't the ball carrier.

When your OL is consistently getting their ass kicked by the opponent, the play book is somewhat limited.

HuskyInAZ said:

Wow. I know they were yelling at the players, but that is bad coaching. They should know better than to spike it with 21 seconds.

Nit picking a bit? Jesus Fucking Christ, how about the OL block someone for a change.
    The OL sucks. Yes, it is nit picking because it didn't matter. Still, for a coach that often talks about the little details, his clock management has been horrible a couple of times in close losses. Miles snapping the ball with 7 seconds on the play clock against Arizona was similar to this. Every team goes over these scenarios in practice. And I know they were yelling at Browning to wait. Why was the team so fucking unaware though? Pete is responsible.
    You are really reaching for this one.
    nobody expects UW to have Baylor's offense
    I just want Stanford's offense.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,420
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I miss Washington, dammit. Fuck the world.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

brchco12 said:

We found a QB today, it's nice to see someone running the offense who isn't hyperventilating and about to pass out.

Browning looks like he can play, but all he is at this point is a guy with some potential. He was terrible before the final drive and made freshman errors on that drive too. It was to be expected, but if we judge him on his game tonight, he sucked.
    I couldn't tell, but it didn't seem like Boise state was trying very hard to shut down the run but they didn't have to worry about it any way. It as least seems that Browning isn't going to get killed out there and at least has some mobility. But they didn't really let him throw down the field a lot, which I thought was the whole reason you played the freshman and not Lindquist
    #Kimmywasright #LetErRip
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Defensive front 7 is going to push Cal's shit in.