Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greenspan says dump Dodd-Frank

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Note it may require answering two survey questions to read the full article but giving you basement dwellers full disclosure so you don't complain (or can't complain much since I know you will anway....water is wet).
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Lots of good nuggets at the end of his opinion piece:

"An important collateral pay-off for higher equity in the years ahead could be a significant reduction in bank supervision and regulation.

Lawmakers and regulators, given elevated capital buffers, need to be far less concerned about the quality of the banks’ loan and securities portfolios since any losses would be absorbed by shareholders, not taxpayers. This would enable the Dodd-Frank Act on financial regulation of 2010 to be shelved, ending its potential to distort the markets — a potential seen in the recent decline in market liquidity and flexibility.

Well-capitalised banks need to be less fettered in their primary economic function: to assist in the directing of the nation’s scarce savings to fund our most potentially productive investments. Funding cutting-edge capital investments will engender growth in national productivity and standards of living."
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    How about start by re-instating Glass-Stiegel. Shit never would have happened in the first place.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    You may not remember but Clinton was the President when Glass Stegall was repealed:

2001400ex said:

A banking guy that oversaw a period of deregulation that preceded a financial collapse wants less regulation. Shocking.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,531
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People also forget that the Clinton administration oversaw the destruction of home lending standards that planted the seed for the subprime crisis.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,531
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

People also forget that the Clinton administration oversaw the destruction of home lending standards that planted the seed for the subprime crisis.

who knew that forcing banks to issue mortgages to people who didn't qualify would be a problem? the relaxed standards were also used by investors to over extend
    It made for great campaign rhetoric. Kind of like the idea of "free" healthcare. Now all the fucktards in my generation are jumping on the Bernie train for "free" college education. Never mind the fact that they already went deep into debt for their degrees in Barista Studies. They should really start teaching basic econ in high schools again.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Greenspan is a dumbass and should not be listened to on any topic of importance. That's how wrong and dumb he was about the 2008 financial crash.
    Alan Greenspan, once viewed as the infallible architect of U.S. prosperity, was called on the carpet yesterday, pilloried by a congressional committee for decisions that contributed to the financial crisis devastating world markets.

The former chairman of the Federal Reserve said the crisis had shaken his very understanding of how markets work, and agreed that certain financial derivatives should be regulated -- an idea he had long resisted.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/23/AR2008102300193.html

OP is akin to listening to Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz on Middle East policy. Their failures should discredit them.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,426
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We should elect Hillary based on her Middle East success.

Huh?
  • Options

Huh?

I think Hillary's record as SoS is absolutely fodder for her candidacy.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    AZDuck said:

Huh?

She's going to play the "I was just doing my job/ what Obama told me to do" card.

• Options

AZDuck said:

Huh?

She's going to play the "I was just doing my job/ what Obama told me to do" card.

That's fine. And people can judge her leadership based upon that if she does.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Sure Greenspan left rates too low for too long but how does that invalidate his sensible opinion piece on Dodd-Frank?

And the SEC should be responsible for regulating CDS, not the Fed.

Lastly Carter started the process of misallocating capital to the residential housing sector, Clinton foolishly put it on steroids, and W. Bush screwed up by continuing it ("ownership society") before trying to reverse course but it was largely too late.

The home mortgage interest deduction and all of the various Federal Agencies that exist to offer credit are the bigger distortions / misallocation of capital around.
    AZDuck said:

Greenspan is a dumbass and should not be listened to on any topic of importance. That's how wrong and dumb he was about the 2008 financial crash.

Alan Greenspan, once viewed as the infallible architect of U.S. prosperity, was called on the carpet yesterday, pilloried by a congressional committee for decisions that contributed to the financial crisis devastating world markets.

The former chairman of the Federal Reserve said the crisis had shaken his very understanding of how markets work, and agreed that certain financial derivatives should be regulated -- an idea he had long resisted.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/23/AR2008102300193.html

OP is akin to listening to Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz on Middle East policy. Their failures should discredit them.

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes