Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

One thing for us to keep in mind

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,558 Founders Club
By and large we're so used to players not developing much during the off season around here. That's why I hold that under Petersen we might be pleasantly surprised in several areas this fall. Not enough to win 11 games, but enough to have a decent season, like the 1999 UW Holiday Bowl team.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I agree with this 100% ...

I can definitely see a season where we start slow, really start to question things, and gradually get better the second half of the season.

It wouldn't shock me if this is a team that goes 3-3 in the first 6 games but 4-2 down the stretch winning a game at either Stanford or ASU.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,350 Swaye's Wigwam
    It's shit like this that gives me hope.

Damn you.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,128
    Last year provided reason for hope on this front.

Kikaha, Shelton, and Thompson were all good players in 2013, but their output greatly increased last year.

Several of the true frosh played like veteran players:
    Buttah, Sidey Jones IX, Pettis

If UW can get a RB to step up and perform at a high level, it will make a world of difference.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm excited to see what the updated weights of the OL and DL will be. That'll be my first measure of development until we start hearing the reports from fall camp.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter

A big key and indicator for future success for me this year will be watching closely the true sophmores and RS-Freshmen. If we really start to see those guys flash and make plays it will be a huge indicator going forward.

Specifically, players like Jojo McIntosh, Darren Gardenhire, Jaylen Johnson (String), Greg Gaines, Virta Vea (if he is healthy), Lenius, Dotson, etc.; those types of players. If we see a bunch of those types of players playing well it will really give me hope heading into 2016, and overall for the program because I'll feel a lot better about recruiting evaluations.

And then if there is the "Andrew Hudson" effect on some older Sark recruits that would be another terrific sign of player development.

I know there was talk the other day about needing to be #3 in the conference behind USC, UCLA in recruiting to have a chance. I agree with that to an extent, but not fully. I think if we can never fall below #5 in the conference we can compete and win. If Petersen can bring in the players he has been bringing in, and also supplement that with the evaluations that he was famous for at Boise we will be just fine at that level. That is why I will be watching his players so closely this fall.

If his players start developing like crazy this year I will be doogin' pretty hard for 2016.

If Petersen does on the field what we think and Hope™ he will, 3rd in conference recruiting might be just the baseline. The recruiting prowess we've already seen backed by results will be very formidable.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    I like all of the optimism in this thread. And then I remembered who our quarterback is going to be. If we have a stellar running game then maybe we could get to 5-4 in conference. That would be a good coaching job in my opinion given the situation this year on the roster.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

MisterEm said:

If UW can get a RB to step up and perform at a high level, it will make a world of difference.

Disagree.

Give me consistent OL and competent QB play and the RB will take care of itself.

A world class RB on the other hand, will not mask the play of a mediocre line and/or QB.

Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson have been masking a mediocre Seahawks line for years
    Wilson does at least as much to mask that line as Lynch does. The threat of the read option makes up for one shitty lineman all on it's own.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter

I like all of the optimism in this thread. And then I remembered who our quarterback is going to be. If we have a stellar running game then maybe we could get to 5-4 in conference. That would be a good coaching job in my opinion given the situation this year on the roster.

KJ's gotcha back.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,020 Founders Club
    I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by our QB play this year, considering how our coach is a former QB. If not, it's FMFYFE until next year when Browning likely starts.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2015

Last year provided reason for hope on this front.

Kikaha, Shelton, and Thompson were all good players in 2013, but their output greatly increased last year.

Several of the true frosh played like veteran players:
    Buttah, Sidey Jones IX, Pettis

The guys you mentioned got better. And Petersen deserves credit. At the same time, sometimes guys just get better as they get older. Kevin Smith was way better as a senior than in his previous years. Bishop Sankey was good as a sophomore. He was great as a junior. Ducre was way better as a senior.

The stars on defense and Andrew Hudseon got better, but on the whole it was a mixed bag. The OL wasn't any better and was possibly worse. Timu, Feeney, and Littleton didn't really look any better. The rest of the offense hadn't played much, but we didn't see any big improvements out of any of those guys either.

Petersen's Boise State teams were more indicative of a coach that is a strong developer of talent than last year at UW.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

By and large we're so used to players not developing much during the off season around here. That's why I hold that under Petersen we might be pleasantly surprised in several areas this fall. Not enough to win 11 games, but enough to have a decent season, like the 1999 UW Holiday Bowl team.

I think you're right Derek, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the team will look a lot better than the "4 win team" the prognosticators are predicting, but so much disappointment with this program says LIPO.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    It was year 1. Developing new habits, new routines, new terminology, etc. takes time. Saban lost to a 1-aa school at Bama year 1.

The only thing that has me worried about Pete year 1 were some of the in-game decisions that cost the team and his general fidgety (nerves?) demeanor on the sideline.

Player development and recruiting have been where they need to be. Even Roids don't work over night.

The culture is changing, i know the cliche, but Sark's lazy stench is leaving the program.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    The OL is young, I know, but ready to rumble.