Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA Free Agency

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2015

Look at the money Tyson fucking Chandler just got. The only thing that would stop Love from getting a max contract next year is a really serious injury.

Love put up numbers his first year in Cleveland that compare favorably to what Bosh did with Lebron. Miami and Houston threw max money at Bosh with no hesitation.

NBA GMs are really stupid but they're a hell of a lot smarter than fans. Fans that think Love stinks and just put up empty numbers. He is a great offensive player. Probably in the top 10 in the league. His only problem was that he was on a team with 2 of the top 5 offensive players in the league.

The money would have been there.

I'm going with Doogles take. I don't think he sucks but I don't think he is all that confident. He went for the security. He's been hurt every year in the league.

If someone wanted him that bad he'd be a Laker or Blazer now
    If Love went somewhere else he would have cemented himself as a selfish loser. Re-signing in Cleveland at least lets him look like he gives a fuck about winning.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I'm going to slightly disagree on the Love take about being "not that good."

Love is being asked to be Chris Bosh. He's not Chris Bosh. Bosh struggled a bit playing the role he morphed into with the Cavs but had a little more athleticism and a lot more defensive ability than Love.

Love is a very solid low post scorer that can play a strong pick and roll game. Problem is that that's not a great fit with what LBJ and Kyrie Irving like to do with the ball in their hands a ton.

If I was coaching the Cavs, I'd make sure that I worked about 4-5 minutes per half where Love was my focal point on offense while LBJ and Irving rested on/off the bench. Allow Love to take advantage of what his strengths are outside of just looking at him as a big guy that can shoot from distance. You're better off paying a guy like Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye about half as much if your whole plan is to stick Love in the corner shooting 3's the entire time.

I think Love is a lot like Pau in the sense that he's not going to win a title leading his whole team. But he can definitely win a title as a #2 if he's in the right spot. I'm too lazy to go look this up, but I remember reading/hearing a stat about Love in Minnesota that on a per 100 basis, the Wolves were actually a strong playoff caliber team. Just so happened that their bench was so pathetic that it torpedoed them over and over.

Jordan is one of the most difficult max players that I can think of. I can see why the Clippers would pay him the max and I doubt Ballmer really cares that much about paying the luxury tax. But I don't see how a team with cap space would survive with him eating into their cap. You still have to score the ball and the NBA is a league where you have to be able to put the ball in the basket. Unless Jordan somehow learns to make free throws at a 70% clip and discovers a low post game that doesn't consist of lobs, rolls, and putback dunks, then for as good as he is, he's not the guy that is going to turn your franchise around.

Chandler's aging a bit and health is always a bit of a concern with him. I'm not sure I'd feel great about giving him 4 years at this point, but I'd also be 100% on board with paying him half of Jordan and feeling good about what I'd get back.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    Chandler was exposed in the playoffs by Houston. He's still good but he can't cover up for bad defenders anymore. And he's only getting older.
    David Lee that can shoot 3s. Jesus Christ.
    David Lee was a 20 and 10 guy that peaked at 21 and 12. He could still probably get 20 and 10 on a shitty team. He averaged 18 and 10 (as a 3rd option like Love now) the season before this one for a playoff team.

Both are good passers. Neither can play any defense and the only huge difference is that Love can shoot 3's. Lee hasn't been as good, but I don't think the difference is extreme. Love is closer to being David Lee than the top 10 player bullshit he was hyped as when he played in Minnesota.

Chandler is old and lost a step but the rest of the Mavs were all really bad defenders, especially Dirk who can't guard anyone anymore. He's still a good center. The Clippers have been shredded in the playoffs too with Jordan.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,546 Founders Club
    Maxing Jordan this year is perfect. You take 1 season of tax, then you're in the clear once the cap takes the biggest leap ever.

You avoid repeat offender status and essentially have him locked up in his prime at a discount. For the record, he is pretty overrated in my book.
    Doogles said:

Maxing Jordan this year is perfect. You take 1 season of tax, then you're in the clear once the cap takes the biggest leap ever.

You avoid repeat offender status and essentially have him locked up in his prime at a discount. For the record, he is pretty overrated in my book.

The contracts seem pretty fucked up. 70 mil for 5 season of Khris Middleton. Greg Monroe and Paul Millsap getting the max. The cap is going up to around 130 million in two years though. 14 million for Middleton isn't that bad when you consider how small a percentage of 130 million that is for a guy that is a legitimate 4th or 5th best player on a playoff team. It still seems fucked up though. You know things are weird when Jae Crowder is almost a bargain at 7 million per season.

There has to be a bubble though. Not that I really give a shit, but how much are tickets to a game going to be? Who will be able to afford them, especially in shitty cities in middle America. I know there is big TV money and that's the main reason for the salary spikes, but still.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    The one that blew my mind was Kyle Singler getting 5 years at $25M ... that's fucking insane for a guy that is a mid-rotation player at best.
  • HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    Aron Baynes getting 20 million for three years....What a good time to be an NBA player man
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Aron Baynes getting 20 million for three years....What a good time to be an NBA player man

GOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
    The cap is going to be 90 million next year and then over 100 million after that. This world you guys are living in, where 5 million dollars matters, is over. A rotation player making that money is a great deal.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,541 Swaye's Wigwam
    Just goes to show the difference between poor and great franchises. If LaMarculous would've had even the slightest thought that Portland could make noise in the playoffs he would have been back.

imageimage

They were already dead.
    haie said:

Just goes to show the difference between poor and great franchises. If LaMarculous would've had even the slightest thought that Portland could make noise in the playoffs he would have been back.

Maybe, but I think going back home to Texas also played a pretty big role. Getting a chance to finish the back end of his prime in front of his friends and family is something that is hard to fight against. That being said, SA >>>>>>>>Portland as a franchise.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

imageimage

They were already dead.
    Shooting dead houses is a proud HHB tradition
    We shoot the dead houses alright.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Drunk on the father in laws couch.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732