Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Thoughts on this huge game

For obvious reasons, this game is huge for us. But it is just as big for the Idaho Trucking Academy. This is their one shot at a BCS conference opponent. Winning this game is the key to their season.

On paper, no contest. We recruit a different level athlete than they do. But on the field, Chris Peterson has only lost 8 games in 7 years. And he has never been blown out. His worst loss was to Jake and Ty, 24-10. (And didn't it feel like a corner had been turned that day?) Boise is extremely well coached and they expect to win every game.

So this game will close and extremely intense. Here is how Auburndawg sees it:

We lost by 2 in Vegas

By getting healthy and getting kids like Tanigawa and Jamora back, and returning virtually every starter from last year, we will be improved over last year. Boise, on the other hand, has to replace 40% of their starters. They will be no better, talent wise, maybe a bit worse. Let's say that makes a 7 point difference.

Home field advantage adds another 7 points.

Dawgs 34
Boise 24

Comments

• loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    If I didn't realize I was reading an AuburnDoog post, I would almost begin to think I was reading 5 Reasons!
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,280 Founders Club
    edited August 2013
    I'd think a load sock would recognize a load :)
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866

For obvious reasons, this game is huge for us. But it is just as big for the Idaho Trucking Academy. This is their one shot at a BCS conference opponent. Winning this game is the key to their season.

On paper, no contest. We recruit a different level athlete than they do. But on the field, Chris Peterson has only lost 8 games in 7 years. And he has never been blown out. His worst loss was to Jake and Ty, 24-10. (And didn't it feel like a corner had been turned that day?) Boise is extremely well coached and they expect to win every game.

So this game will close and extremely intense. Here is how Auburndawg sees it:

We lost by 2 in Vegas

By getting healthy and getting kids like Tanigawa and Jamora back, and returning virtually every starter from last year, we will be improved over last year. Boise, on the other hand, has to replace 40% of their starters. They will be no better, talent wise, maybe a bit worse. Let's say that makes a 7 point difference.

Home field advantage adds another 7 points.

Dawgs 34
    Boise 24

If you combine the comments in this thread with the comments from the "Pole-First Play. . ." thread you'll see that anything is possible with a Sark coached team. . .and that's the problem with the Huskies. No identity. Predicting a game scenario or outcome is a crap-shoot.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    We SHOULD win this, no question. But, I could see those pesky trust issues rearing their ugly head...
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    We need to win the TO battle and hope Sark doesn't mess things up too badly.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I like to completely contradict myself within the first two paragraphs of a post. I do that.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,492 Founders Club
    I turned the corner only to find another corner to turn
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    It can still be a huge game without being a corner turn. A corner will be turned when we're not blown out by fucking Pac-12 teams anymore. I'm not holding my breath but hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    Gladstone said:

It can still be a huge game without being a corner turn. A corner will be turned when we're not blown out by fucking Pac-12 teams anymore. I'm not holding my breath but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

This.

Doogs who want to claim that beating a Mountain West team at home proves anything need to die in a fucking fire.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Are you stating that losing to BSU by two is a positive?
    It ain't over till we see the lawn mower. It's our latest sign of an impending loss. In the last decade, it was just seeing our defense on the field (or our hurry off the field offense as of late).
  • AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    After we beat Boise State in the second game we were 2-0 in the Jake Locker era. Ty had gon from 2 wins, to 5 wins, and was now 2-0 after having beaten a team that went 13-0 and beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl the year before. So I think most of us felt like a corner had been turned and Husky football was on the way back. Ty then lost the next 6 in a row. That is what I meant by the paranthetical comment.

This is a huge game for so reasons so obvious they aren't worth listing.
    I nominate you to do 5-10 reasons each week because they are worth listing Aubbie.
  • YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 541
    losing to BSU b 2 last year > Money>Location> Tradition!
    Please show me where I said losing the Vegas bowl was in any way positive.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,498 Swaye's Wigwam
    loadsock said:

It ain't over till we see the lawn mower. It's our latest sign of an impending loss. In the last decade, it was just seeing our defense on the field (or our hurry off the field offense as of late).

this

After we beat Boise State in the second game we were 2-0 in the Jake Locker era. Ty had gon from 2 wins, to 5 wins, and was now 2-0 after having beaten a team that went 13-0 and beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl the year before. So I think most of us felt like a corner had been turned and Husky football was on the way back. Ty then lost the next 6 in a row. That is what I meant by the paranthetical comment.

This is a huge game for so reasons so obvious they aren't worth listing.

It's not a huge game at all. Here are the games that matter more on the 2013 schedule:

Arizona
    @Stanford
    Oregon
    @Arizona St
    @UCLA
    @Oregon St

If you're arguing that it is a huge game for momentum reasons, go re-read your post about the 2007 team or look at any of Sark's 2009-2012 seasons to see how little momentum means for Sark's inconsistent teams.
    It is a huge game for two reasons:

1. Best case scenario, the Oregon game is a toss up. We have to win every other home game to get have the type of season we all want. (Well, everyone other than you.)

2. Everyone else on the planet would acknowledge the psychological importance of winning this game.

But I like how you are preemptively moving the goal posts, Hills. If Sark wins its no big deal. If he loses its a disaster. Well played.

It is a huge game for two reasons:

1. Best case scenario, the Oregon game is a toss up. We have to win every other home game to get have the type of season we all want. (Well, everyone other than you.)

2. Everyone else on the planet would acknowledge the psychological importance of winning this game.

But I like how you are preemptively moving the goal posts, Hills. If Sark wins its no big deal. If he loses its a disaster. Well played.

Hi there.

It's the Pac-12 record that matters. If Sark goes 5-4 AGAIN, it's time to door.ass.out. him. He goes 6-3 or better and he gets to stay.

If UW wins every home game and loses the four road games I just mentioned, he needs to leave.

As for the psychology, UW should curbstomp its next two opponents regardless.

Beating Mountain West teams at home is no big deal. It's what you are supposed to do. Losing to them in Seattle is just another sign that you have the wrong coach. See Gilby (Nevada) and Ty (Air Force) for details.

I really should have put the Apple Cup on the list. That game matters more than the BSU game does.