Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Complexity of a Star Player Running a Franchise

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13096193/nba-next-lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

I found the following section very revealing:

Ideally for the Cavs, James would come into his exit meeting with strong opinions: Sign this guy at any cost; don't worry about this guy; try to keep this guy, but don't break the bank.

No, this is not how things are supposed to be done in a classic NBA hierarchy. But the reality is the Cavs prefer James to be invested in their decisions so that everyone is on the same page. It's better than operating in a gray area, where they're uncertain of James' investment in working with a player going forward.

This is especially important in regard to Love. James very much pushed for the Cavs to trade for Love last summer, to the point where he was comfortable with No. 1 draft pick Andrew Wiggins being included. However, James and Love didn't particularly mesh well, on or off the court.

The Cavs improved vastly on defense following Love's shoulder injury earlier in the playoffs and were able to continue to excel without him. Considering Love's recent shoulder surgery and the back issues that affected him all season, the Cavs would have reason to pause before offering Love the maximum-allowed five years, $100 million.

This is why they'd prefer to have James' seal of approval. If Love's deal ends up being a burden in the future, they'd want James to share in the responsibility for it.

This is also why James wouldn't be so interested in taking part. He wants a great team and the owners to spend to get it there, but he doesn't want it to limit his future flexibility. As a once-a-generation player, he can have both.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't disagree ...

But at the same time, I think everybody also needs to eliminate the "he doesn't have enough help" around him argument when he fails to win a title. He's controlling the roster.

The other thing that really stood out to me in this is that he's not willing to buy in and take accountability for the team that he creates ... I would have to think that this rings a bit hollow for some of his teammates when he demands accountability of them.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I don't disagree ...

But at the same time, I think everybody also needs to eliminate the "he doesn't have enough help" around him argument when he fails to win a title. He's controlling the roster.

The other thing that really stood out to me in this is that he's not willing to buy in and take accountability for the team that he creates ... I would have to think that this rings a bit hollow for some of his teammates when he demands accountability of them.

No team could sustain losing two of it's three best players, especially not two players the caliber of Irving and Love. LeBron might control the roster but he can't control injuries.
    Voted down for calling Love one of Cleveland's three best players.

You shouldn't bench one of your three best players in the fourth quarter.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Finals MVP was benched in the 4th quarter
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I don't disagree ...

No team could sustain losing two of it's three best players, especially not two players the caliber of Irving and Love. LeBron might control the roster but he can't control injuries.

You think Blatt is a bad coach, right?
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

I don't disagree ...

The Cavs win the first two games in NBA Finals history where scorers 2 and 3 do not play, yet somehow now its his fault for not putting together a good enough roster?

What do people have against this guy?

So his gm couldn't steal Parish/McHale from the Warriors or Pippen from the Sonics or Magic/Worthy/Scott from the Jazz/Cavs/Clips or didn't luck out when David Robinson got hurt. Maybe he should go Jordan's route and take two years off and rest his body. I think he has now played more regular season minutes than Magic and more post season minutes than Bird and Jordan.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I don't disagree ...

You think Blatt is a bad coach, right?
    Damn...good point.