Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

New Husky Fan Podcast Episode

Comments

• BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Tequilla said:

Only way Pete gets on the hot seat is if he loses boosters, attendance, money, etc. Hard to imagine that he'll be hurt by lack of performance given the staunch support that Romar gets when there is overwhelming reasons to end that experiment.

While it's very possible that Petersen will get a ton of shit if the QB position and Smith are disasters this season, those are easy fixes by firing Smith and then turning everything over to Browning afterwards.

There's more talent on this team than I think people are willing to talk about because of the black cloud on the offense/QB.

One thing that I do think is worth talking about from the podcast is this notion that Petersen is taking on the Stanford model and the idea that the Stanford model is successful with or without a QB. Since Luck left for the NFL, Stanford has been an above average team in the conference with what is a very average PAC QB. Make no mistake that in today's world of college football where 30+ points per game are more of a norm than an exception, that having quality QB play is paramount. If you have a all-conference (or better) caliber of QB, you have a chance to win your conference for sure. I can't think of many situations in the last 5 years or so where there has been a high caliber team that didn't have at least above average QB play. You can be an above average team with average QB play if the rest of your team is an upper end of the conference team and you can be a contender with above average QB play if you have an elite supporting cast. Until the UW gets back to having the kind of quality QB play that is needed to compete at a high level (and really, this has been as much of the root cause of the problem since the early 2000s as anything else), the program will continue to be relatively mediocre.

I don't know where you guys see Stanford. Not that UW couldn't be successful with another style, but the roster makeup and offense Smith ran last year doesn't look like its heading that direction.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

Gladstone said:

I'll have to go back and listen again but I thought you said he wouldn't be on the hot seat at that point. He definitely would be 100% on the hot seat if we win 2-3 games this year. No question.

If I misheard and you were talking about firing him then yeah I agree.

Sark got 5 years and wasn't going anywhere until he chose to LEAVE! Ty got 4 years. Romar is still the basketball coach. Disgruntled fans will call in and complain if Petersen wins 3 games. Poasters here and on dawgman will call for Petersen to be fired, but he isn't going anywhere and will get 4-5 years, even if we continue to suck. It seems to take catastrophe level disasters for a coach to get fired at UW. Mediocrity has long been accepted.
    One could even say that mediocrity is the goal. Ty was too shitty but Sark was just right.

I would also predict that if Petermen does become a big winner here he will end up door ass out either because he gets tired of the lack of support or the administration screws him like they did James
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I don't know if success at the UW will see a repeat of what happened with James and the administration. Times are different. Parties involved are different. Egos are different. Attitude of those in Seattle are different.

20-30 years ago winning was nice ... but not a necessity. We were more concerned about keeping people out of our area, shunning attention, and whatnot. Now everything has changed where people are busy beating their chest at any perceived slights from others, a desire/expectation of winning, and an influx of successful businesses leading to a culture that is rapidly shifting.

It will be interesting to see what kind of backlash the Mariners are going to have with the way this season goes and they continue along the status quo.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    edited June 2015
    I will give DJ the 10 bucks...it was for the first to mention it.

Sorry I don't want uw to be Stanford
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    @HeretoBeatmyChest

Here's a difference between the M's and Huskies for you: watching the M's is so fucking boring/awful that during one of their 0-1 losses the TV Crew pans over Husky Stadium with one of them saying, "Ah yes, only a matter of time before college football on Montlake" (or something to that effect).
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    So we're waiting until 2017 now?

Awesome.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Tequilla said:

I don't know if success at the UW will see a repeat of what happened with James and the administration. Times are different. Parties involved are different. Egos are different. Attitude of those in Seattle are different.

20-30 years ago winning was nice ... but not a necessity. We were more concerned about keeping people out of our area, shunning attention, and whatnot. Now everything has changed where people are busy beating their chest at any perceived slights from others, a desire/expectation of winning, and an influx of successful businesses leading to a culture that is rapidly shifting.

It will be interesting to see what kind of backlash the Mariners are going to have with the way this season goes and they continue along the status quo.

Almost completely disagree

Husky football 20-30 years ago was all about winning. The jokes about wanting to fire Don James are grounded in truth. Since I can first remember Husky football had a rabid win at all cost fan base.

That base is dead or defeated. Sark was very popular. The M's are popular. Winning is second to a fun time and boat races.

I was told not that long ago that I was a lesson in how not to act as a fan because I spoke the truth about what a shithead Emmert was and how he wanted to kill football

The president may change but the culture remains. No way UW rides out what Oregon just went through without killing the program again.

Oregon said fuck you and kept buying players and winning
    We just found the foreword to Derek's next money grab.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Petersen is here as long as Woody is here no matter what.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    The one change which is a concern is the big money has changed. Back in the day they wanted to win and only win. Now, we hear about how they told Emmert it was the right decision to keep Tyrone. The young big swinging dick boosters loved Sark and were pushing for Nuss for a continuation of that culture.

And because that changed, it allowed a fucking comedy of errors to go on......firing Rick, not making Gilby an interim coach, hiring Tyroan, not firing him in 2007...4 totally absolutely wrong decisions.

None of this shit matters now. Petersen will be here for 12-15 years.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited June 2015
    If he wins.

He certainly seems to be building things "the right way" (barf at that phrase after the past 15 years). Still need to prove he isn't Hawkins.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

One of my favorite stories involved a booster I used to know who was prominent for several decades. He loved UW and passionately wanted a winning football team. He's in his 80s now. For the sake of discussion we'll call him Richard.

When Don James arrived at Washington in 1975, Richard scheduled a lunch with him. They met at a restaurant, talked for a few minutes, and then Richard handed James a notebook that talked about how Washington recruited historically and the system for James to follow.

Don James reportedly thumbed through it, smiled, and then said, "You know what, I've got a better plan. Why don't I worry about coaching the team and you enjoy watching us from the grandstands on game day."

One of my favorite things about Chip Kelly was that he had no relationship whatsoever with the alumni.

Wins > Warmfuzzies
    That's actually not completely true. Chip went surfing several times with a Duck alumnus friend of mine when in SoCal.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club

AZDuck said:

One of my favorite stories involved a booster I used to know who was prominent for several decades. He loved UW and passionately wanted a winning football team. He's in his 80s now. For the sake of discussion we'll call him Richard.

When Don James arrived at Washington in 1975, Richard scheduled a lunch with him. They met at a restaurant, talked for a few minutes, and then Richard handed James a notebook that talked about how Washington recruited historically and the system for James to follow.

Don James reportedly thumbed through it, smiled, and then said, "You know what, I've got a better plan. Why don't I worry about coaching the team and you enjoy watching us from the grandstands on game day."

One of my favorite things about Chip Kelly was that he had no relationship whatsoever with the alumni.

Wins > Warmfuzzies
    That's actually not completely true. Chip went surfing several times with a Duck alumnus friend of mine when in SoCal.
    Limp wrist paddling might be effective in the southern swell.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212

AZDuck said:

Wins > Warmfuzzies
    I bet he liked riding the swell.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,702 Founders Club
    Chip on a surfboard...