Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Top 10 Players in the NBA

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Upon further review I take klay Thompson over kawai Leonard.

The only thing is kawai has a championship mentality while klay can be a little coog bitch. Not to mention he plays with zero pressure because it's all on curry.

But still, He's a good defender and the most explosive scorer in the game.

Klay isn't even in the top 5 for explosive scorers. I think he is underrated by many because of Curry and he's gotten better each season, but Curry, Durant, Carmello, Harden, and Westbrook are all more explosive.

Explosive is tough to define. Is Anthony Davis not as explosive as the others because he doesn't shoot 3's?

Leonard is too superior at everything other than shooting to be ranked below Klay imo.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2015
    Doogles said:

The only thing is kawai has a championship mentality while klay can be a little coog bitch. Not to mention he plays with zero pressure because it's all on curry.

No chance. Thompson's probably not in my top 15. I'd take Gasol or Draymond Green over him for sure. I'd probably take George or Rose or Butler over him too.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

Klay isn't even in the top 5 for explosive scorers. I think he is underrated by many because of Curry and he's gotten better each season, but Curry, Durant, Carmello, Harden, and Westbrook are all more explosive.

Explosive is tough to define. Is Anthony Davis not as explosive as the others because he doesn't shoot 3's?

Leonard is too superior at everything other than shooting to be ranked below Klay imo.
    Klay is a great guy to play opposite of a great player but I don't believe he's a #1 on a any team. That means he's not even a top 20 guy. He isn't a great defender, so take him away from curry......it's not like we're talking westbrook who dominates both ends of the court but had the 2nd best player in the world on his team.

Leonard can score and is one of the top defensive guys in the league. Would take him 10 out of 10
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I've followed the NBA even less than the usual low amount but Kawhi Leonard in the top ten? Really? Isn't he like the third or fourth option on the Spurs?
  • Options

I've followed the NBA even less than the usual low amount but Kawhi Leonard in the top ten? Really? Isn't he like the third or fourth option on the Spurs?

He led the team in scoring (by almost 2.5 ppg) and won NBA defensive POY.

He's damn good.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Klay is probably somewhere between 12-18. He's a damn good player. Looking at his stats, he has improved each year he's been in the league, and improved quite a bit. His shooting percentages are going up, even with increased volume.

I made the post in another thread that this year his 3 point percentage was higher than Reggie Miller's ever was and Klay made more 3's than Reggie ever did. He's also become much more than a shooter and has a good off the dribble game. He's a tall two guard that gives good effort on defense too.
  • Options
    NeedleInTheSky88NeedleInTheSky88 Member Posts: 96
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Agree with most of your list, the only real difference is I have Carmelo instead of Boogie Cousins. Both players are really high talents, but both are losers and have issues. I just give the nod to Melo because he has taken his team to the playoffs, whereas Cousins hasn't even sniffed the playoffs, not even sure he has come close to .500. As horrible of a teammate as Melo can be, he is arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA and he does rebound fairly well for a SF.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Agree with most of your list, the only real difference is I have Carmelo instead of Boogie Cousins. Both players are really high talents, but both are losers and have issues. I just give the nod to Melo because he has taken his team to the playoffs, whereas Cousins hasn't even sniffed the playoffs, not even sure he has come close to .500. As horrible of a teammate as Melo can be, he is arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA and he does rebound fairly well for a SF.

Carmelo SUCKS.

Hope this helps.
  • Options

Klay is probably somewhere between 12-18. He's a damn good player. Looking at his stats, he has improved each year he's been in the league, and improved quite a bit. His shooting percentages are going up, even with increased volume.

I made the post in another thread that this year his 3 point percentage was higher than Reggie Miller's ever was and Klay made more 3's than Reggie ever did. He's also become much more than a shooter and has a good off the dribble game. He's a tall two guard that gives good effort on defense too.

Reggie Miller never played with someone as good as Steph Curry either. Klay and Steph definitely make each other better, but Curry helps Klay more than Klay helps Steph IMO.

He's a good player but I don't think he's top 20. You really think if Klay was the best player on his team he'd be right in the middle of #1's in the league?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Reggie Miller never played with someone as good as Steph Curry either. Klay and Steph definitely make each other better, but Curry helps Klay more than Klay helps Steph IMO.

He's a good player but I don't think he's top 20. You really think if Klay was the best player on his team he'd be right in the middle of #1's in the league?
    Not sure there really is a good end point to this discussion. Klay is solid, but nobody knows how he'd do being the #1 vs the #2. The defenders and defenses he may face vs what teams have to do right now in order to stop curry. I hope for the sake of GS that we don't have to find out whether klay is great on his own. He doesn't need to prove anything other than to keep winning and playing well.

If I had to put a number, I'd still wager 25-30 or so b/c he isn't some sort of great defender. But obviously still a great player.
  • Options
    I really like Klay as a player, but I don't think his skill set is suited to be a #1 option on a team. He is a great #2 option. He is a very underrated defensive player, he is one of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA. Offensively he is a weaker version of Ray Allen in his prime. He doesn't have the elite penetrating skills that Ray had.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Curry helps, but he's not the reason Klay puts up numbers. He puts up numbers because he's good. On other teams, he would get more attempts and handle the ball more. He's more than just a shooter. I don't think he's better than Reggie Miller, but I don't think he's far off either. It's a tough argument, but I do think Klay would rank in the middle of #1's.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If Klay's your 2nd best player ... you're winning titles. If he's your best, probably not. There's no shame in that.

Reggie doesn't have a title because he was always the best player on his team.

Pau Gasol has titles because he was the 2nd best player with the Lakers ... couldn't sniff shit when he was the best.

There's absolutely no shame in being the 2nd best player on your team if winning is your end objective.

We can say all that we want about how you need great players to win titles (and you do) ... but you also need to have a bunch of good/great complementary players around you to help out. Nobody wins on their own.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

If Klay's your 2nd best player ... you're winning titles. If he's your best, probably not. There's no shame in that.

Pau Gasol has titles because he was the 2nd best player with the Lakers ... couldn't sniff shit when he was the best.

There's absolutely no shame in being the 2nd best player on your team if winning is your end objective.

We can say all that we want about how you need great players to win titles (and you do) ... but you also need to have a bunch of good/great complementary players around you to help out. Nobody wins on their own.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There are a few teams that Klay could be the #1 option and compete for a title.

Atlanta, Memphis, San Antonio, maybe Washington. You could sub out those teams' 2 guard for Klay and possibly win a title. He might not be the best player on those teams, but he would likely be all of those teams' leading scorer.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

All this is true, except Klays not the's not the second best player on the team anymore.

• Options

Carmelo SUCKS.

Hope this helps.
    He was second in scoring a couple years ago, and led the NBA in scoring in 2013. He was injured last year, but that doesn't mean we write him off. He doesn't suck, but he isn't a great teammate either. Him and Cousins are very similar, but like I mentioned, he gets the nod above Cousins because he has actually won at the NBA level.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

All this is true, except Klays not the's not the second best player on the team anymore.

Disagree. If you are starting a team from scratch, Klay is picked before Green. And I've been a huge fan of Green since he was at Michigan State. I remember APAG and me talking about how good of a role player he was two years ago.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Carmelo Anthony got Jim Boeheim a national championship. Jim tried for 40 fucking years with all sorts of talent.

Anthony would be great again on a great team. There is no reason not to be a selfish dick on the Knicks
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Disagree. If you are starting a team from scratch, Klay is picked before Green. And I've been a huge fan of Green since he was at Michigan State. I remember APAG and me talking about how good of a role player he was two years ago.
    If I'm starting a team from scratch I'm taking Green before Klay rather easily. But I'm a sucker for defense.