Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

As the Dustin Ackley era continues to sputter in Seattle, a change of scenery may be in order

Larry Stone is putting a fork in Ackley. His confidence seems shattered and maybe we can get a talented but struggling catcher in return (Sucre just can't hit and John Hicks needs more time in AAA). Nothing will happen until Austin Jackson comes back though:

seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/as-the-dustin-ackley-era-continues-to-sputter-in-seattle-a-change-of-scenery-may-be-in-order/

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

Larry Stone is putting a fork in Ackley. His confidence seems shattered and maybe we can get a talented but struggling catcher in return (Sucre/Zunino just can't hit and John Hicks needs more time in AAA). Nothing will happen until Austin Jackson comes back though:

seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/as-the-dustin-ackley-era-continues-to-sputter-in-seattle-a-change-of-scenery-may-be-in-order/

I don't think Ackley has any trade value at all. Maybe a team thinks they can plug him in at 2B, but I think that ship has sailed.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Good chance that Ackley will go the way of Justin Smoak ...

One of the biggest problems that the Mariners organization has is that they are way too in love with their own players ... when a prior trade could have been made to salvage at least some value out of Smoak or even Ackley, the Mariners hung on until the bitter end and were left holding nothing ...

But then again, how is Jack Z a bad GM? Howard Lincoln a bad (lead) owner? Chuck Armstrong a bad President? Abundance.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,635
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

One of the biggest problems that the Mariners organization has is that they are way too in love with their own players

You mean like Adam Jones? ;)
  • Options
    Adam Jones isn't in the same ballpark ... that was Lincoln/Armstrong being FS and putting Bavasi in a position where he needed to make decisions for his personal interest above those of the organization ...

If we've learned anything around these parts over the last 5-7 years ... it's that when you know it's time to move on you move on. It's far better to be a year too early than a year too late.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, they probably should've traded Ackley after 2014 and gotten a better back-up catcher than Sucre rather than waiting until know (I like Sucre's D though).
    Tequilla said:

One of the biggest problems that the Mariners organization has is that they are way too in love with their own players ... when a prior trade could have been made to salvage at least some value out of Smoak or even Ackley, the Mariners hung on until the bitter end and were left holding nothing ...

But then again, how is Jack Z a bad GM? Howard Lincoln a bad (lead) owner? Chuck Armstrong a bad President? Abundance.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Adam Jones isn't in the same ballpark ... that was Lincoln/Armstrong being FS and putting Bavasi in a position where he needed to make decisions for his personal interest above those of the organization ...

If we've learned anything around these parts over the last 20 years ... it's that when you know it's time to move on you move on. It's far better to be a year too early than a year too late.

Lambo.
  • Options
    There's no real problem having Sucre on the roster when you know he's going to catch no more than 30 games ...

The problem is rushing Zunino to the bigs before his bat was fully developed and being stuck at playing him 120-130 games per year while he struggles against quality major league pitching.

That being said, Dan Wilson was even more hopeless as a hitter early in his career before developing into an above average hitter at the position for more than a few years. So there's still hope for Zunino ... the power is definitely not questioned.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,635
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

If we've learned anything around these parts over the last 5-7 years ... it's that when you know it's time to move on you move on. It's far better to be a year too early than a year too late.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    I see your point but 30 games is still a lot to start a back-up who simply can't hit. Also to your point about rushing Zunino to the bigs, what if he goes through a bad slump and needs more time off? Or if he gets dinged up and needs to go on the 15 day DL?

I am a big fan of Zunino's potential but am concerned about having to rely on Sucre a lot more than anyone would like. Our depth in the organization isn't very good, especially with John Hicks struggling this year at AAA and Steve Baron needing more time at AA before moving up.
    Tequilla said:

There's no real problem having Sucre on the roster when you know he's going to catch no more than 30 games ...

The problem is rushing Zunino to the bigs before his bat was fully developed and being stuck at playing him 120-130 games per year while he struggles against quality major league pitching.

That being said, Dan Wilson was even more hopeless as a hitter early in his career before developing into an above average hitter at the position for more than a few years. So there's still hope for Zunino ... the power is definitely not questioned.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Dan Wilson suddenly became a much better hitter in 1995.

early adopter
  • Options
    If you go by WAR as your source, Zunino is a replacement level player at this point.

I see a lot of good things to him ... but his bad elements are SO BAD that it takes away a lot of the good things that he does.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    He should get better but it will be slower than if he spent all of 2013 at AAA and maybe even the start of 2014.

I'm still not worried about him, he's slowly getting better at hitting breaking pitches and not swinging at garbage pitches. He has the bat speed and power to mash fastballs and his defense is still very good, along with his framing of pitches (a friend of mine who played college baseball since his framing of pitches could save up to 20 runs this year).

Anyway, I'm concerned about him going through a bad slump since he was rushed or even getting dinged. Sucre's D is good but his bat is weak even at the AAA level so it would sink any momentum we might be building if he goes from little used back-up to starter for even a few weeks.
    Tequilla said:

If you go by WAR as your source, Zunino is a replacement level player at this point.

I see a lot of good things to him ... but his bad elements are SO BAD that it takes away a lot of the good things that he does.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

His strikeout issue was a massive red flag at every level coming up. At least by Double A they should have told him you get promoted to the next level when you keep your strikeouts below 20%. Since they didn't, he never learned to protect the plate offensively. He's a defensive wizard but he's so far below what he could have been offensively it's sad.

But why is Jackie Z a bad GM?
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

His strikeout issue was a massive red flag at every level coming up. At least by Double A they should have told him you get promoted to the next level when you keep your strikeouts below 20%. Since they didn't, he never learned to protect the plate offensively. He's a defensive wizard but he's so far below what he could have been offensively it's sad.

At least he actually made it to the majors, Hultzen isn't even close and he was supposed to be the "safest" pick of that entire draft.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    At least Hultzen's non-appearance in the Bigs is due to injury (which no one saw coming).

OTOH, Ackley has nearly 2,000 ABs at the MLB level and, barring a miracle, has proven himself to be a utility guy at best.

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

At least he actually made it to the majors, Hultzen isn't even close and he was supposed to be the "safest" pick of that entire draft.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited May 2015
    HFNY said:

At least Hultzen's non-appearance in the Bigs is due to injury (which no one saw coming).

OTOH, Ackley has nearly 2,000 ABs at the MLB level and, barring a miracle, has proven himself to be a utility guy at best.

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

OTOH, Ackley was universally regarded as the second best pick in that draft (after Strasburg). He's worthless, no doubt, but he wasn't a bad pick necessarily, just bad luck that he busted so hard. Hultzen was clearly a terrible choice at the time he was selected.

Yeah, I know.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    I'm not saying I disagree but who did any writer or analyst actually say he was "clearly a terrible choice" at the time he was selected?
    dnc said:

HFNY said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

OTOH, Ackley was universally regarded as the second best pick in that draft (after Strasburg). He's worthless, no doubt, but he wasn't a bad pick necessarily, just bad luck that he busted so hard. Hultzen was clearly a terrible choice at the time he was selected.

Yeah, I know.