Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla Observations

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Tequilla said:

No idea what Tequilla was watching.

He posted about Browning at 11:59am. So he was literally watching warm ups.
    I was watching warm-ups. Didn't see any of the team session stuff.

Browning looks like a guy that should be the QB down the road ...

I think I've also been on record as saying that he should RS if he's not clearly the best option.

Magna Carta's release is so low that it really gives me some massive concern.

Regardless of who the QB is this year, it should be a 70%+ running team this year.
    He is my issue, if they are equivalent in the Fall, which is highly probable, then you start the youngster just like at every other school in D1 who is worth a shit. It's not like the 2 QB's we have are lighting it on fckn fire like some here seem to think, "improved" is the new catch phrase i know. If he sucks you move on to the next. Again, I will go back to a passing qb who didn't look like he was ready but progressed rapidly with some of the non teachable intangibles, like pocket presence, football IQ and touch. Christian Hackenberg at PSU gained confidence very rapidly and had some decent Qb's in front of him. He gained momentum and was better off by playing than sitting. Granted he suffered a sophomore slump, but he almost won the Ohio State game by himself and will be a top 10 draft pick after next season. What would be the purpose of wasting a redshirt season again? Save it for injury

Freshman QB's who had great success early:
    Jeffrey Godfrey UCF
    Terrelle Pryor Ohio State
    Matt Barkley USC
    Kevin Kolb Houston
    Robert Griffin Baylor
    Tyrod Taylor Virginia Tech
    Nate Davis Ball State
    Spencer Keith Kent State

Freshman QB's who weren't stellar but had great college careers and /or high draft selections:
    Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame
    Teddy Bridgewater University of Louisville
    Braxton Miller Ohio State
    Chad Henne Michigan
    Matthew Stafford University of Georgia
    Brady Quinn Notre Dame
    Josh Freeman Kansas State University

Now I can imagine that these teams who started true freshman had QB who were much worse than Lindy and Magna, and it may be a true stretch to think a player who passed for 17,000 yards in 3 seasons, 229 TD's to 40 TD's and completed 1191 out of 1708 passes may be good enough to pick up the college game faster than the average Freshman.
    IF he's not ready now (the guy should be fucking the prom queen, not taking part Spring practice) you get him ready. Seriously, if Petersen is who we thought he was, Browning will be ready to play this season, because the options do not look great for him to sit and watch Lindy or Magna loose 6-8 games.
    Play Browning and let Skinny and others know you are ready to play a true freshman if he has it.
    If Petersen is who we thought he is, then all 3 QBs should be ready to play this season, especially KJCS who already has a year in the program.
    I wouldn't go that far. KJCS and Petersen was a shotgun marriage. He was the best QB Petersen thought he could get considering the circumstances. There weren't many options.

If we don't have an above average QB by next season, Petersen should feel a lot of heat.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

Jesus man, I could look like a fucking Heisman winning QB during warmups and I played receiver in high school.

Making these type of judgements after watching a guy throw some routes is beyond TequillaFS

It had nothing to do with routes
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2015

Tequilla said:

I think I've also been on record as saying that he should RS if he's not clearly the best option.

Regardless of who the QB is this year, it should be a 70%+ running team this year.
    He is my issue, if they are equivalent in the Fall, which is highly probable, then you start the youngster just like at every other school in D1 who is worth a shit. It's not like the 2 QB's we have are lighting it on fckn fire like some here seem to think, "improved" is the new catch phrase i know. If he sucks you move on to the next. Again, I will go back to a passing qb who didn't look like he was ready but progressed rapidly with some of the non teachable intangibles, like pocket presence, football IQ and touch. Christian Hackenberg at PSU gained confidence very rapidly and had some decent Qb's in front of him. He gained momentum and was better off by playing than sitting. Granted he suffered a sophomore slump, but he almost won the Ohio State game by himself and will be a top 10 draft pick after next season. What would be the purpose of wasting a redshirt season again? Save it for injury

Jeffrey Godfrey UCF
    Matt Barkley USC
    Kevin Kolb Houston
    Robert Griffin Baylor
    Nate Davis Ball State
    Spencer Keith Kent State

Freshman QB's who weren't stellar but had great college careers and /or high draft selections:
    Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame
    Chad Henne Michigan
    Brady Quinn Notre Dame

Now I can imagine that these teams who started true freshman had QB who were much worse than Lindy and Magna, and it may be a true stretch to think a player who passed for 17,000 yards in 3 seasons, 229 TD's to 40 TD's and completed 1191 out of 1708 passes may be good enough to pick up the college game faster than the average Freshman.
    IF he's not ready now (the guy should be fucking the prom queen, not taking part Spring practice) you get him ready. Seriously, if Petersen is who we thought he was, Browning will be ready to play this season, because the options do not look great for him to sit and watch Lindy or Magna loose 6-8 games.
    Play Browning and let Skinny and others know you are ready to play a true freshman if he has it.
    If Petersen is who we thought he is, then all 3 QBs should be ready to play this season, especially KJCS who already has a year in the program.
    Did Petersen recruit Lindy? Are we good or do you want to keep going?
    IF Lindy starts, then I think you are looking at a team that runs the ball 70-75% of the time with a combination of safe throws off of play action and deep throws. In this system, I would think that you're also going to see Lindy running the ball 7-10x per game which means that you probably better have another QB ready to go as there is bound to be an injury somewhere along the line.

What I saw about Browning was that I liked his habits first and foremost. He was practicing as if he was in a game notably with his footwork. If you are going to be looking at an OL that is going to struggle, then you have to emphasize an offense focused on running the ball and the short passing game. Browning is the guy that I ultimately believe is the one that can throw the short to intermediate passes in the right spots and allow for run after the catch opportunities. In the warm-up periods, there were a number of throws where the QBs were asked to make throws on drags and outs. Both Lindy and KJCS in my view were consistenty throwing at the receivers chest (or behind it) whereas Brownings throws were at the middle of the chest forward such that the receivers could catch the ball without breaking stride. No matter how much you want to try to teach a QB, if we learned anything from Jack Lockner it is that no matter how talented a QB is, you can't teach a QB certain elements of the position, including spatial awareness.

We're not picking the starting QB today. We're picking the starting QB in 4 full months from now. There's still plenty of time in place for improvement in the QB position.

Jimmy made a great point though about Smith and this will be one of the top story lines for me because no matter how you slice it this year, this will be an average at best QB group. Dialing down what you expect of the QB is probably required. Can Smith remain patient enough to do what needs to be done?

And ultimately this team needs a strong defense this year to allow the offense to be patient, shorten the game, and take advantage of the opportunities provided.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Jeffrey Godfrey UCF
    Matt Barkley USC
    Kevin Kolb Houston
    Robert Griffin Baylor
    Nate Davis Ball State
    Spencer Keith Kent State

Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame
    Chad Henne Michigan
    Brady Quinn Notre Dame

Did Petersen recruit Lindy? Are we good or do you want to keep going?
    You had to edit that?
    Meek said:

Tequilla said:

Jeffrey Godfrey UCF
    Matt Barkley USC
    Kevin Kolb Houston
    Robert Griffin Baylor
    Nate Davis Ball State
    Spencer Keith Kent State

Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame
    Chad Henne Michigan
    Brady Quinn Notre Dame

I wouldn't go that far. KJCS and Petersen was a shotgun marriage. He was the best QB Petersen thought he could get considering the circumstances. There weren't many options.

If we don't have an above average QB by next season, Petersen should feel a lot of heat.

let's assume that is what happens...what exactly do you expect the AD, president, upper campus, etc to actually do....possibly an extension? wait Petersen out til he quits for another job? There is no heat coming from anywhere outside this tiny little hole in the internet called Hardcore Husky.
    Why do you hate the heat from KJV
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,609
    I think it's important to keep in mind that the OL didn't have its best and most experienced starter (RS-SR Dex Charles) and its most experienced OT (RS-Soph Coleman Shelton, who started 5 games last year)...both sat out the spring while recovering from surgeries.

We should know that we don't know how the QB and OL situations will look until midway through the fall.

In other words, LIPO.
    UW ran it 60% of the time last year .... I expect that number to increase this year. 70% may be on the high end of things. But to think that this will be anywhere close to a balanced offense is FS.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    edited April 2015
    Tequilla said:

UW ran it 60% of the time last year .... I expect that number to increase this year. 70% may be on the high end of things. But to think that this will be anywhere close to a balanced offense is FS.

Yes, I agree. But that's in a logical world and assuming that Granny Smith ISN'T FS.

Something tells me that he's not going to tailor the offense to the personnel and the QBs will again be a dreck and look confused. Hope I am wrong but Smith fucking sucks.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Am I a Doog?

do you blame the coordinator?
    do you blame injuries?
    do you blame anyone or anything besides the HC?

then you might be a Doog, fren
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    HFNY said:

Down-voted for throwing stones in a glass house. Qook fans, over the past few years, have blamed losses on:

-Nick "Allowalotti"
    -Scott Frost
    -Don Pellum
    -Marcus Mariota's injured knee
    -D'Anthony Thomas' injured leg
    -Jake Fisher's injured knee
    and
    -Alejandro Maldanado's kicking leg

AZDuck said:

Am I a Doog?

do you blame injuries?

Why do you hate Dennis Dixon?

Tequilla said:

Yes, I agree. But that's in a logical world and assuming that Granny Smith ISN'T FS.

Something tells me that he's not going to tailor the offense to the personnel and the QBs will again be a dreck and look confused. Hope I am wrong but Smith fucking sucks.
    For as much as we bashed Smith last year, he was the OC that called a 60/40 run/pass split.

IF the QB position is even more of a dreckfest this year, then you'd have to think that he'll increase the running component.

While Smith is a popular punching bag (and I don't disagree with many of the reasons why), very difficult to expect him to turn a shit sandwich into a Michelin caliber dish.
    edited September 2015
    Tequilla said:

Browning will be the starting QB

Qualls needs to be the lead blocker in goal line situations

Since we're all bumping how much we were right ...
    Some rough moments for @HeretoBeatmyChest and @jecornel in this thread
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254

HFNY said:

Down-voted for throwing stones in a glass house. Qook fans, over the past few years, have blamed losses on:

-Nick "Allowalotti"
    -Scott Frost
    -Don Pellum
    -Marcus Mariota's injured knee
    -D'Anthony Thomas' injured leg
    -Jake Fisher's injured knee
    and
    -Alejandro Maldanado's kicking leg

AZDuck said:

Am I a Doog?

do you blame injuries?

Why do you hate Dennis Dixon's?
    He has wood.

he hehe
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

Some rough moments for @HeretoBeatmyChest and @jecornel in this thread

These were his Spring Game insights, but Cornell told Chest and I that Browning was likely to start a couple months before Fall Camp.