Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

King Felix

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Flagged because 7-9.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Flagged because 7-9.

Holding a team's record against a player who plays once every 5 days makes sense.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Flagged because 7-9.

Holding a team's record against a player who plays once every 5 days makes sense.
    It makes sense when that player chose to stay with a franchise full of loosers.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

Flagged because 7-9.

Yeah I never understood that. The funny thing is, when most stars bail on a franchise the city hates them for it. If Felix wouldn't have signed the extension a couple years ago, most Seattle fans would pretty much say "good for you" because of how shitty the franchise has been. Now most Seattle fans wouldn't feel the same because they're FS and so eager to buy into the franchise's bullshit that they really believed the M's were going to the world series. What this told me about Felix is he's not really an elite competitor. Elite pitcher? Absofuckinglutely. But what most great players have in them is a desire to be the best and win championships (or so I'm told. I just want to collect a paycheck so ma' doesn't kick me out). Felix would rather stay in Seattle. More power to him, I love seeing him pitch. But he'd given the franchise every opportunity to put out a winner and they've given him shit. If he would have left, I would have rooted like hell for him to get a ring.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I like to criticize elite, future hall of fame players for being shitty, lazy and uncompetitive from my couch where I mainline cheetos and Mt. Dew... it's what I like to do.
  • Options
    Any pussy can flag and run... Just axe flea. REAL boobs would never hide like that.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Felix is flat out unbelievable ... he'll definitely go down as one of those generational players.
  • Options

I like to criticize elite, future hall of fame players for being shitty, lazy and uncompetitive from my couch where I mainline cheetos and Mt. Dew... it's what I like to do.

I criticize Felix for choosing to stay in Seattle instead of going to a REAL MLB team and I criticize him for that shitty Macklemore commercial.

He's a great pitcher. Water is wet.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,109
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Felix is flat out unbelievable ... he'll definitely go down as one of those generational players.

he's never won 20 games in a season. Yes he's been saddled with shitty run support, but he needs a few of those 20 win seasons before going down as an all-time great.
  • Options
    Or, he could just rack up a trophy case full of cy young awards. At some point he will need to win a championship... like RJ.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Is incredible.

He better. He's fucking paid to be.

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

he's never won 20 games in a season. Yes he's been saddled with shitty run support, but he needs a few of those 20 win seasons before going down as an all-time great.
    fucking A this isn't the 1950's anymore
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,109
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Tequilla said:

Flagged for incorrect usage of the expression "Fucking A", which is used to express agreement and accord with an opinion or action.
  • Options
    uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

dhdawg said:

Tequilla said:

Flagged for incorrect usage of the expression "Fucking A", which is used to express agreement and accord with an opinion or action.

Damn straight.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2015

dnc said:

Flagged because 7-9.

Yeah I never understood that. The funny thing is, when most stars bail on a franchise the city hates them for it. If Felix wouldn't have signed the extension a couple years ago, most Seattle fans would pretty much say "good for you" because of how shitty the franchise has been. Now most Seattle fans wouldn't feel the same because they're FS and so eager to buy into the franchise's bullshit that they really believed the M's were going to the world series. What this told me about Felix is he's not really an elite competitor. Elite pitcher? Absofuckinglutely. But what most great players have in them is a desire to be the best and win championships (or so I'm told. I just want to collect a paycheck so ma' doesn't kick me out). Felix would rather stay in Seattle. More power to him, I love seeing him pitch. But he'd given the franchise every opportunity to put out a winner and they've given him shit. If he would have left, I would have rooted like hell for him to get a ring.
    This is complete bullshit.

It's easy to make fun of Seattle sports, the Mariners in particular, but to assume he isn't an elite competitor because he didn't bolt to the Yankees is FS. For the guy that actually goes out there and does his job like he's supposed to, he has to have faith in his franchise at some point.

Remember how emotional he was when he got the contract? He fucking loves Seattle for taking him from dirt poor to filthy rich. He is showing gratitude and loyalty and COMPETING every day to give the team that took a chance on him a chance at a ring.

Like Busta Rhymes once said, "If I ain't gonna be part of the greatest, i gotta be the greatest myself".

• Options
    Félix is more committed to the City of Seattle than Rusty Wilson is.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Is A-Rod an elite competitor because he bolted the Mariners for another team?
  • Options
    Felix is currently Top 40 all-time in ERA+. I would anticipate that he'll continue to climb the list while he's in his prime.

As he has aged, he's learned to pitch without maxing out. Unlike many that require junk that ultimately puts undo pressure on shoulders and elbows to be successful, Felix predominately relies on some combination of fastball (variations of fastballs plus sinkers) plus changeups to the tune of 75% of his pitches for his career. That's the kind of pitch repertoire that should result in a very lengthy career.

He just turned 29 this season. Let's assume that he wins only 15 games this year (12 more than he's at right now) and ends the year at 140 career wins. 10 more years puts him at 39. If you assume he averages 14 wins per year over that time period, then he's up to 280 wins. Fairly confident to say that assuming everything holds he'll continue going for 300 (good chance he'll be one of the last to get to that milestone).

From a strikeout standpoint, he's averaging 226 K's per year for the last 6 years. Put him at that number for this season and he'll end the season somewhere around 2,175-2,200 career strikeouts. I'm sure he'll slow down his pace a bit as he ages, but somewhere in the 175-200 K per year range for the next 10 years on average would seem to be very realistic. That will put him somewhere around 4,000 career K's by the time he hits the age of 39. That'd be Top 5 of all-time right now and he probably could get to 4th all-time ahead of Steve Carlton (I'm not factoring in the other generational pitcher of this era in Kershaw).

Quite simply, Felix is about as good as it has ever gotten in the game. In an era where pitchers don't pitch deep into games, Felix for his career has averaged 6.8 innings per start. He's made 30+ starts for 9 straight seasons. Anybody that doesn't think that he's a generational player that has a very good chance to go down as one of the all-time greats if he is able to continue on his current track over the long-term is absolutely FS.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2015
    Felix is very good. He's no generational player. At least not yet.
  • Options

Felix is very good. He's no generational player. At least not yet.

A generational player is someone that you look back at and say that he was one of the very best at what he did in the game during a certain era/decade. Kershaw will clearly be the best left handed pitcher of this era. Hard to not say that Felix will not be such as a right handed pitcher.