Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rare vid: UW-CU '90. Charles, Donald?

Before stumbling across it on YouTube last night, I didn't know this video existed: Prime Sports's full-game telecast of the gigantic UW-CU game in 1990 (first half, second half). Don Poier and Chuck Nelson on the call. Charles Mincy and Donald Jones both prominently featured.

Although the Dawgs lost this one in agonizing fashion, it's must-see stuff for several reasons. First, it's just a gigantic matchup between the 1990 and 1991 National Champs, that somehow the national media almost entirely overlooked at the time the game was played. Both rosters are littered with legendary players and future pros. This game was also played right smack in the middle of a huge three-week period in terms of CFB plate tectonics: One week prior, UW blanked USC 31-0 (Marinovich's "all I saw was purple" game); one week later, CU kept its undefeated season alive with the infamous "fifth down" sequence against Mizzou.

I had the good (?) fortune of witnessing this game firsthand at Folsom Field. Everybody in the stadium could tell right away these teams were way better than #12 versus #20. It was a true clash of titans. One of the most dramatic, impressive games I've ever seen, full of momentum swings, that went right down to the final minute. I'm wondering whether Charles or Donald has any nostalgia to share.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I was there

Like I said, momentous.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2015

I was there

I also saw the 1990 dawgs play one time.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Dawgtona said:
    How can I get my hands on the '79 UW/UO game in Eugene? Specifically, I need a copy of the Mark Lee's punt return for a TD. It doesn't exist online - anywhere.

The unapologetic doog in me wants to play it every time I'm subjected to a video of 'the pick'. Seriously, if you search youtube for 'Mark Lee punt return uw/uo' the search results only bring up the pick. That must change.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I was there

Ditto
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Even now I can't watch. That at UCLA from that year were the lowest football moments of my life.

It's weird how Oregon '00 didn't have the same feel, but it didn't.
  • Options
    DawgtonaDawgtona Member Posts: 704
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    pawz said:

Dawgtona said:
    How can I get my hands on the '79 UW/UO game in Eugene? Specifically, I need a copy of the Mark Lee's punt return for a TD. It doesn't exist online - anywhere.

The unapologetic doog in me wants to play it every time I'm subjected to a video of 'the pick'. Seriously, if you search youtube for 'Mark Lee punt return uw/uo' the search results only bring up the pick. That must change.
    Unfortunately that disc is only 15 minutes of a B&W coach's film and does not include special teams.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    That drop on 3rd and goal? Yeah. Brutal.

But...without going through the crucible two punishing losses in '90 (both of which felt like a death in the family to me, even living 1300 miles away at the time), I have wondered if the '91 team would have had the croutons to win gut check games like Neb and Cal.
  • Options
    CharlesMincyCharlesMincy Member Posts: 44
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    That drop was Curtiss Gaspard, not Mario Bailey.
    ...from what I remember.
  • Options

That drop was Curtiss Gaspard, not Mario Bailey.
    ...from what I remember.

Like yours, my memory had been that Gaspard's first-down drop was worse. But the video (linked above) clearly reveals Bailey's third-down drop as the really inexcusable one. The ball to Gaspard looks catchable, but less so.

The other thing that clearly shows up on video is that @CharlesMincy played a *great* game in Boulder.