Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One and dones like Jordan Spieth

are what's ruing college golf.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well I watch as much college basketball as I do college golf.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Didn't even know golf was still a college sport. Learned something new today.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Golf isn't a sport hth
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    It's ok for Jordan Spieth to go pro after one year because he's white.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,128
    Once again, The Field wins
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

Once again, The Field wins

IT'S NOT QUITE OVER YET FOR TIGER WOODS!
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The NBA needs March Madness to create player familiarity... or it dies.

Golf doesn't need the NCAA.

Hth.
  • Options

Hth.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are only known because of their huge success in March Madness.

Everybody says so.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Hth.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are only known because of their huge success in March Madness.

Everybody says so.
    Flagged for forgetting Kevin Garnett
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Flagged for shallow and pedantic reasoning. One and dones don't hurt college ball, college ball sucks for a myriad of reasons. There is no question that the lack of name brand familiarity hurts the NBA. As does the lack of skill coming in.

Anthony Davis won a title and is actually doing something as a pro. Quick - name 3 other Kentucky one and dones you follow in the NBA

Kyrie Irving is getting some pub now that he plays with LeBron. There will always be transcendent players, but the 80's and 90's showed the symmetric between the NCAA and the NBA was a golden age for both

it's fine with me if they don't have to go at all, but I'm not going to argue that it doesn't hurt the game. There is no minor league like baseball has. College was the minor league
  • Options

Hth.

Everybody says so.
    Flagged for forgetting Kevin Garnett
    Who?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AAU has ruined the mindset of the players and the pimps coaches that teach them are a joke.

I play in this night league in SF and before the first game some aau team is finishing practice. The coaches scream at the players complete Bull shit while the parents harass the kids to shoot every time. It's misguided desperation for a scholarship and money if I've ever seen it.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

AAU has ruined the mindset of the players and the pimps coaches that teach them are a joke.

I play in this night league in SF and before the first game some aau team is finishing practice. The coaches scream at the players complete Bull shit while the parents harass the kids to shoot every time. It's misguided desperation for a scholarship and money if I've ever seen it.

Flagged for bolded part.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    One and dones may not devastate the overall quality of all 300 plus teams, but they do lessen the quality of the Pukes, UNCs, KYs. Kansases, UCLAs, Indianas etc. Some talking head pointed out that they have to simplify/dumb down their offenses, which contributes to a lack of scoring.

Not only that, but the average fan isn't going to identity with the guys who stay for a year or their teams. There's little star power.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2015
    If the one and dones had to stay for three years (like football) it would improve the overall talent much deeper than just the top tier teams. Kentucky wouldn't sign seven kids a year to replace the seven that left; they couldn't. Good players might have to actually play for a coach that might actually give a shit.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    d2d said:

If the one and dones had to stay for three years (like football) it would improve the overall talent much deeper than just the top tier teams. Kentucky wouldn't sign seven kids a year to replace the seven that left; they couldn't. Good players might have to actually play for a coach that might actually give a shit.

I don't play in a night league in SF.

There's no question that the one and done rule is bad for the quality of college basketball. I don't see why the NBA should care about that, though. The rule is very good for the NBA, and for the players as a whole. Kids games develop better in the NBA than they do in college. If you're good enough to go early you'd be a fool not to.

The issue with kids not developing fundamentals is an AAU and high school issue, not a one and done one. A kid with great talent but poor fundamentals is going to develop them much quicker in the NBA where there are no limits to how much coaching they can get and how many hours they can have supervised practices, plus there are no other responsibilities to steal your time and focus like having to find a tutor to write your papers.

I get why college hoops fans hate the one and done rule. Just be honest why you hate it. It's because you want to see great players play more college basketball. It's not because it somehow prevents them from developing their games. It doesn't do that at all.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

d2d said:

There's no question that the one and done rule is bad for the quality of college basketball. I don't see why the NBA should care about that, though. The rule is very good for the NBA, and for the players as a whole. Kids games develop better in the NBA than they do in college. If you're good enough to go early you'd be a fool not to.

The issue with kids not developing fundamentals is an AAU and high school issue, not a one and done one. A kid with great talent but poor fundamentals is going to develop them much quicker in the NBA where there are no limits to how much coaching they can get and how many hours they can have supervised practices, plus there are no other responsibilities to steal your time and focus like having to find a tutor to write your papers.

I get why college hoops fans hate the one and done rule. Just be honest why you hate it. It's because you want to see great players play more college basketball. It's not because it somehow prevents them from developing their games. It doesn't do that at all.
    One and dones are the absolute exception in college basketball. There are almost 400 schools playing D-1 basketball. A dozen early entries do nothing in the big scheme of things.

Shit coaching in AAU ball has a much greater impact on the regression of college ball. You want better college ball, quit allowing fourth grade travel teams and letting 7th graders jack threes from their hip. Teach fundamentals and team ball instead of showing the fifth graders the triangle offense.
    If you require college kids to stay three years, for instance, you're adding 40 or 50 top athletes into the college basketball pool each season. The college game would undeniably be stronger in that instance. Even if you allowed kids to go straight out of HS or play three years of college ball (basically the beisbol model) you're going to add a strong group of players to the college game. The main effect would be no more Baylor and VCU Cinderella stories because the quality of play in the major conferences would jump significantly.

But we agree that AAU is the greatest scourge on the game. Wiff a bullet.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

d2d said:

One and dones are the absolute exception in college basketball. There are almost 400 schools playing D-1 basketball. A dozen early entries do nothing in the big scheme of things.

Shit coaching in AAU ball has a much greater impact on the regression of college ball. You want better college ball, quit allowing fourth grade travel teams and letting 7th graders jack threes from their hip. Teach fundamentals and team ball instead of showing the fifth graders the triangle offense.
    If you require college kids to stay three years, for instance, you're adding 40 or 50 top athletes into the college basketball pool each season. The college game would undeniably be stronger in that instance. Even if you allowed kids to go straight out of HS or play three years of college ball (basically the beisbol model) you're going to add a strong group of players to the college game. The main effect would be no more Baylor and VCU Cinderella stories because the quality of play in the major conferences would jump significantly.

But we agree that AAU is the greatest scourge on the game. Wiff a bullet.
    WTF'd because Texas and Washington have kept underperforming coaches for a long time.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The myth is that high school/college ball in the past did a better job of preparing players for the NBA. When you force a player to play in the minor leagues for a longer period than his talent warrants, he will be better equipped to learn new skills when he leaves. He just emerges as a player with poor coaching who happens to be more mature. Players weren't prepared in the old days.

I hate the one and done rule. Just let the best players play, like baseball, hockey, soccer, auto racing, tennis, golf and every other sport except NFL football.