Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coaching Effect over the last 7 years

Good article on measuring the coaching effect over the last 7 years:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/8/19/4635732/college-football-apparent-talent-coaching-effects

To sum it up, the guy normalized talent rankings and then compared to wins. then ranked about 130 coaches spanning 7 seasons. He doesn't aggregate by coach, but i copied his numbers into excel and did it on my own. Turns out of the 130 coaches, steve sarksian is the 109th ranked coach out of 132 measured. believe it or not, Willingham is ranked 105. Fuck. So who is the better coach, Sarksian or Willingham? I thought it was pretty clear that Sark was better. Now i'm not so sure.

For the record here are the TOP ranked coaches of the last 7 years:

1) Sumlin
2) Saban
3) C. Kelly
4) Jagodzinski
5) T. Bowden
6) Bielema
7) Shaw
8) B. Kelly
9) B. Jones
10) Beamer
11) Gundy
12) Leavitt
13) Petrino
14) B. Stoops
15) Bellotti
16) Tressel
17) Dantonio
18) Patterson
19) Mangino
20) Pinkel
21) Riley

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,214
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    interesting stuff. thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,601
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    How the fuck is Jim Harbaugh, arguably the best CFB coach of the last decade, not in the top 21?

flawed formula is flawed
  • Options
    How is Jim Harbaugh not on that list? Same with Urban Meyer.
  • Options
    greenearplugsgreenearplugs Member Posts: 16
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    looks like a fellow Husky fan wrote that above article...credit to RedmondLonghorn

in a related note, He_Needs_More_Time posted this link a while back in another thread:

http://cfbmatrix.com/portfolio/washington-huskies-2013/

Serves as a nother point of reference. Sark is costing us about 1 game a year. If Woodward had any brain, he'd start his coaching search with proven coaches, that end up winning 1 or 2 more games a year than their talent says they should. In effect, search for coaches with a positive coaching effect...there are prob a bunch of hidden gems at smaller schools. Offer them some big $ and we go from a 9 win team (with 10 win talent) to an 11 win team (with that same 10 win talent).

Take any ONE of these articles with a grain of salt. There's prob a lot of fudge factor in any one ranking...but i've yet to see a good statistical analysis showing sark is either a good coach, or has a decent chance of ever becoming a good coach based on his current performance. Thats a bad sign
  • Options
    greenearplugsgreenearplugs Member Posts: 16
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

How is Jim Harbaugh not on that list? Same with Urban Meyer.

Meyer is number 26
    Harbaugh is 51.

There are some issues with this ranking, and again its not meant as a stand alone, but just another point of reference. This analysis gets a lot of things right, especially at the extremes..but there are some issues. Meyer is prob penalized because the talent was so good at the schools he was at.

Harbaugh is penalized b/c of his first few seasons...i just did a simple average of his 4 seasons coaching rankings...but in looking at harbaugh vs sarkisian there is a clear difference. harbaugh, at his best was ranked 26 out of the 466 coach seasons (only 109 coaches, but each season gets its own record, so there are 466. 26 out of 466 is great. Meanwhile, sarks BEST season to date had him ranked 318 out of 466.

Meyers best single season ranking was 22 out of 466...Again sark has come no one near these numbers for a single season, much less his career.

again, this rnaking isn't perfect, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water...there is a general story here even if some of the specific measurements have some flaws. Sarks case is pretty extreme and getting more and more clear cut in my mind (when factoring in the other stats i've seen)
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did they factor in kick ass presser quality? Did they factor in close losses that can be counted as wins? Did they factor in FREE PUB!. Didn't think so.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Who cares if the rankings are flawed? It says Sark sucks!!!!!!!!

End of story!!!!!
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Hey, I just noticed you can flag AND down vote a comment. Abundance.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    AZDuck said:

disagree. Once you do the second it cancels out the first. Abundance lacking.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

AZDuck said:

disagree. Once you do the second it cancels out the first. Abundance lacking.

He's right. You only get one shot.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Dammit... I was so excited about that. Well... I think this coaching effect thing has merit. Nice post from op
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013

Sark has been lucky to go 7-6 > 7-6 > 7-6. He's closer to a 4-9 coach than 9-4

We're fucked.

As I have always said: A 4 win coach + 10 win players = 7-6
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Do we have 11 or 12 win players now and will get to 8-5 or 9-4? Or might the negative coaching effect be exacerbated by the presence of more depth and talent? As in 6 or 5 wins. Anything less than 9 regular season wins this year is unacceptable.

• Options
    trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/8/19/4635732/college-football-apparent-talent-coaching-effects

To sum it up, the guy normalized talent rankings and then compared to wins. then ranked about 130 coaches spanning 7 seasons. He doesn't aggregate by coach, but i copied his numbers into excel and did it on my own. Turns out of the 130 coaches, steve sarksian is the 109th ranked coach out of 132 measured. believe it or not, Willingham is ranked 105. Fuck. So who is the better coach, Sarksian or Willingham? I thought it was pretty clear that Sark was better. Now i'm not so sure.

1) Sumlin
    2) Saban
    3) C. Kelly
    4) Jagodzinski
    5) T. Bowden
    6) Bielema
    7) Shaw
    8) B. Kelly
    9) B. Jones
    10) Beamer
    11) Gundy
    12) Leavitt
    13) Petrino
    14) B. Stoops
    15) Bellotti
    16) Tressel
    17) Dantonio
    18) Patterson
    19) Mangino
    20) Pinkel
    21) Riley

Nice post.
    Anybody in the Top 100 available next year?
    Incremental Progress.

• Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    tracker said:

1) Sumlin
    2) Saban
    3) C. Kelly
    4) Jagodzinski
    5) T. Bowden
    6) Bielema
    7) Shaw
    8) B. Kelly
    9) B. Jones
    10) Beamer
    11) Gundy
    12) Leavitt
    13) Petrino
    14) B. Stoops
    15) Bellotti
    16) Tressel
    17) Dantonio
    18) Patterson
    19) Mangino
    20) Pinkel
    21) Riley

Nice post.
    Anybody in the Top 100 available next year?
    Incremental Progress.

Top 100? We are fucking Washington. I want a top 15......Bellotti!!!!
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Who needs a coach in the top 100 when you have so much fucking house money!

That list is fucking depressing btw. Hope Woodward drinks some gasoline and swallows a match. Today.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

That list is fucking depressing btw. Hope Woodward drinks some gasoline and swallows a match. Today.

Thanks for that comment. I haven't had a belly roar in quite a while.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Thanks for that comment. I haven't had a belly roar in quite a while.
    You're in the media room, I take it?