Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sonny Dykes (lol)

This guy says all the right things...and seems to be doing them:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/23236741/cals-sonny-dykes-brutal-schedule-chance-to-get-on-the-map-

A few highlights:

Coaching philosophy: "Fundamentals, execution, scheme -- scheme would be dead last."

On his role in the offensive playcalling: "Tony does it, and I usually complain afterward. We can both get pissed and scream and yell during games and nobody cares afterward. It's more important for me to be the head coach than for me to be the playcaller."

On overseeing both sides of the ball: I'm a defensive guy as much as I'm an offensive guy. I don't know as much about defense, but I'm rooting for those guys just as much. It's a dynamic that's often overlooked. If the president spent all his time at the department of education and not the departament of defense, you'd wonder, 'What's going on here? Is the defense less important?"

On compartmentalizing: "The thing we try to do is pay attention to things that matter. As a coach, there are 1,000 things going wrong every single day in your program. You have to determine what are the five really critical ones that are going to make a difference in winning and losing. Sometimes I mess up. Sometimes I'm upset at insignificant things that don't matter. But I always have to remind myself, don't worry about the stuff that doesn't matter, or otherwise you're going to be miserable."

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Why doesn't Dykes have a jaw? This guy's neck goes straight to his cheeks.

I do agree that he sounds impressive. Cal could have a pretty quick turnaround. They have some good talent, but they tuned Tedford out and became a mess. I remember reading about how Keenan Allen and Zach Maynard had created a divide within the team.
  • I think Dykes could take Tedford's all airport team and sneak up on people this year. If they don't play such sloppy football they should be pretty good. It looks like Dykes is emphasizing that.
  • IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    Change is coming...........Right CougLJ?
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866

"Coaching philosophy: "Fundamentals, execution, scheme -- scheme would be dead last."

I love this. . ."scheme would be dead last."

Dykes gets it.

Sadly, Sark is all about "scheme" and has overlooked the other two components.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    I don't think Dykes will ever win big but he'll do well at Cal. At the end of the day Cal has never been shit in football so if they are reaching bowl games on a consistent level that's a success for them.

Dykes unlike Sark has an elite skill set which is offense. His team averaged over 50 a game. On the other hand like Leach he doesn't preach defense at all as his teams gave up 38 a game.

Expect some high scoring games from Dykes and once he gets acclimated to this roster/conference I expect him to be a 7-9 win coach on a consistent level.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2013
    In the other article on Dykes right after he was hired, he took some subtle shots at Tedford. Dykes said his offense playbook was small and is about fundamentals and execution. He said the Cal players are used to playing in a scheme based offense with a big play book.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Sounds like a kick ass presser
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club

I don't think Dykes will ever win big but he'll do well at Cal. At the end of the day Cal has never been shit in football so if they are reaching bowl games on a consistent level that's a success for them.

Dykes unlike Sark has an elite skill set which is offense. His team averaged over 50 a game. On the other hand like Leach he doesn't preach defense at all as his teams gave up 38 a game.

Expect some high scoring games from Dykes and once he gets acclimated to this roster/conference I expect him to be a 7-9 win coach on a consistent level.

Cal was a powerhouse for several decades. They can be again.

So was Army
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club

So was Army
    so got
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

So was Army
    So were Yale and Harvard

So was Army
    So were Yale and Harvard
    So was Minnesota.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    Is there anybody here who wouldn't take Dykes over Sark? I'd take him in a heartbeat...

Is there anybody here who wouldn't take Dykes over Sark? I'd take him in a heartbeat...

Outside of Leach there isn't a single coach in our conference I'd take Sark over.

Even Leach has a better resume plus defeated Sark so perhaps there is zero coaches in our conference I'd take Sark over.
    His dad was Spike Dykes. (Lol)
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    As a Duck fan, I am way more concerned about Dykes than Sark (lol).
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    Mad_Son said:

So was Army
    So were Yale and Harvard
    So was Minnesota.
    So was WASHINGTON
    dammit

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I feel bad for Sven and his California Golden Bears.