Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

SEC > PAC 12

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
.....in basketball...

Lunardi says SEC will get five and we'll get 3..

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    But how is the Pac-12 a fucking dreckfest in basketball?

Big 12: 7
    Big Ten: 6
    Big East: 6
    ACC: 6
    SEC: 5
    Mountain West: 4
    American: 3
    Atlantic 10: 3
    Pac-12: 3
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Pac12 is dogshit in basketball and has been for awhile. No question.

Arizona even sucks in my opinion. They struggle to score and their players don't really develop, a lot of Sark in Sean Miller.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015
    Stanford, Kal, UCLA, and Warshington all used to be good in the 2000s. Now they're not (UCLA should not be a bubble team, they should be top 15).
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Oregon is the 2nd best team. Enough said
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

But how is the Pac-12 a fucking dreckfest in basketball?

Big 12: 7
    Big Ten: 6
    Big East: 6
    ACC: 6
    SEC: 5
    Mountain West: 4
    American: 3
    Atlantic 10: 3
    Pac-12: 3

More blacks east of the Mississippi.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The PAC 12 got four in. Arizona, Utah, Oregon, and UCLA.

Arizona is one of the best teams in the country an criticism of them is unwarranted. I think Sean Miller will eventually break through.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Arizona is one of the best teams in the country an criticism of them is unwarranted. I think Sean Miller will eventually break through.

The committee loved the big names: Indiana, Texas, and UCLA.

• Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Somebody needs to post that tallest midget gif.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Sean Miller is over-rated in my opinion. He recruits very well, his teams play hard defensively, but his offensive system and style is significantly sub-par. He's like a B+ version of Ben Howland.

I also think player development in his program kind of stinks. He fucked Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's draft stock, he should have never came back. Tarcewski has never improved, Brandon Ashley hasn't improved at all.

Arizona will dominate the pac12 until UCLA gets a real coach or Seattle starts spewing out high level ballers again for LoRo, which may be never, but I don't see them breaking much further than the final four this year or anytime soon. Kentucky, UNC, Oklahoma prison gang-raped UCLA this year, but Az struggles big time with a shitty bruin squad. Even Gonzaga gave us a bigger ass-kicking in Pauley Pavilion.

Arizona will not breakthrough this year. Their deficiencies were largely hidden in a garbage P12 conference this year. They can't score enough to win it all. IRYK. IAR.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sean Miller is over-rated in my opinion. He recruits very well, his teams play hard defensively, but his offensive system and style is significantly sub-par. He's like a B+ version of Ben Howland.

I also think player development in his program kind of stinks. He fucked Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's draft stock, he should have never came back. Tarcewski has never improved, Brandon Ashley hasn't improved at all.

Arizona will dominate the pac12 until UCLA gets a real coach or Seattle starts spewing out high level ballers again for LoRo, which may be never, but I don't see them breaking much further than the final four this year or anytime soon. Kentucky, UNC, Oklahoma prison gang-raped UCLA this year, but Az struggles big time with a shitty bruin squad. Even Gonzaga gave us a bigger ass-kicking in Pauley Pavilion.

Arizona will not breakthrough this year. Their deficiencies were largely hidden in a garbage P12 conference this year. They can't score enough to win it all. IRYK. IAR.
    Miller recruits as well as anyone outside of Calipari. I don't think Miller is a great coach, but with the talent he brings in, Arizona will always be in the running.

Comparing scores is futile. UW beat Oklahoma and were destroyed by both Arizona and UCLA. UW beat SDSU by more than Arizona did as well. Kentucky struggled against .500 Florida and a couple of other average teams.

The Pac 12 sucks, but so does most of CBB except for the ACC and maybe the Big 10. Arizona lost a few games, but they mostly destroyed teams. I think Arizona will make the Elite 8 again.

We'll see. Arizona was a point away from a Final 4 last year. They have a stranglehold on the Pac 12. I think they will eventually break through. Calipari was once an average coach who sometimes underachieved, until he wasn't. I think Miller and Arizona will eventually break through.
  • Options

Miller recruits as well as anyone outside of Calipari. I don't think Miller is a great coach, but with the talent he brings in, Arizona will always be in the running.

Comparing scores is futile. UW beat Oklahoma and were destroyed by both Arizona and UCLA. UW beat SDSU by more than Arizona did as well. Kentucky struggled against .500 Florida and a couple of other average teams.

The Pac 12 sucks, but so does most of CBB except for the ACC and maybe the Big 10. Arizona lost a few games, but they mostly destroyed teams. I think Arizona will make the Elite 8 again.

We'll see. Arizona was a point away from a Final 4 last year. They have a stranglehold on the Pac 12. I think they will eventually break through. Calipari was once an average coach who sometimes underachieved, until he wasn't. I think Miller and Arizona will eventually break through.
    Agree on recruiting, outside of Duke/KY no one has amassed more talent over the past 5 years. But he has had that overwhelming talent advantage going on 4 or 5 years now playing in a dreck conference that has awarded him protected seeds playing in the west with huge crowd advantages...and he hasn't even been close to winning it all. If it hasn't happened by now, will it ever? Especially if Pac12 gets their shit together in hoops.

I think he's a good coach, but I don't see him ever winning it all without big changes to his approach. His offenses are terrible, and I think he (and by extension his team) crack under-pressure, he is a disaster on the sidelines.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Agree on recruiting, outside of Duke/KY no one has amassed more talent over the past 5 years. But he has had that overwhelming talent advantage going on 4 or 5 years now playing in a dreck conference that has awarded him protected seeds playing in the west with huge crowd advantages...and he hasn't even been close to winning it all. If it hasn't happened by now, will it ever? Especially if Pac12 gets their shit together in hoops.

I think he's a good coach, but I don't see him ever winning it all without big changes to his approach. His offenses are terrible, and I think he (and by extension his team) crack under-pressure, he is a disaster on the sidelines.
    I hate i'm about to do this, but i'm siding with miller in most of this discussion. He isn't a+ across the board, but there are about zero coaches in college who are even sniffing it(ie like less than 5). You can look at a lot of coaches records and see there aren't a lot of multiple national title coaches out there. Roy williams sniffed it at KU, but never closed the door until he hit up UNC. Izzo has 1. Miller is still pretty young(46) and the pac12 has done them zero favors in preparing for the post season.

In his 5 seasons he's been to the elite 8 twice, and the sweet 16 once. I wouldn't count his first year as AZ was a dumpster fire for holding onto lute for too long. That's basically a few bounces away from being final four or champ. While i still don't think miller is some sort of coaching god, he's more than serviceable for Arizona to be successful and a title run based on his recruiting.

In his 11 years, he's missed the ncaa 3 times. First year at Xavier, first year at AZ, and then his third year at AZ(still won 23 games that year). He's been in the elite 8 3 times with 2 different teams. You look at the bullshit being spewed about romar and yet he's never gone to the elite 8. Even with all the talent in his early years while miller went with Xaiver in his 4th year.

You stack all that up and he really is a pretty damn good coach over his career. He wins one championship and all of a sudden he's top 7 or 8 in the nation.