Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The listing and debunking of every stupid pro-Romar argument

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Let's collectively think of every argument and post/debunk them in this thread.

1. The local H.S. talent was down the past few years -- that explains the drop off in wins.

If the program is dependent on elite, NBA-ready H.S. players, then we're in very serious trouble. It's vexing how this argument is trotted out time and time again by Romar apologists. This is a silly argument as 95%+ of NCAA teams are not sitting unopposed in the heart of a city that often produces amazing recruits. Most universities recruit and develop their players from areas outside of their immediate vicinity. The examples are endless. Utah. Gonzaga. Oregon. On and on and on.

Even if the Seattle talent exists in a particular year, there is no guarantee they will sign with UW. Peyton Siva, Josh Smith, Gary Bell, amongst others...Romar misses as much as he hits.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The crisper response to the above is that you are saying for Romar to be successful he clearly needs better talent ... which speaks right to the next argument against him as not being a good coach from the standpoint of X's and O's, preparation of his team, recognizing in-game situations, etc
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He's good for the community.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The problem with creating anything rational about why the program could possibly be better w/o romar, or that seattle talent may still go to a local school sans romar, or that we might be able to hire a coach who is actually a good person and can progress the program, or any number of other thoughts fall on deaf ears based on our racism and lack of understanding where the program was pre-romar.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    2. Romar is such a nice guy and a great representative of UW

This should generally be expected of every coach at UW, regardless of what sport it is. Standard, not exception. And to use it in defense against a torrent of losses and poor in-game decisions? Laughable.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    My (least) favorite excuse is "Romar has done more for UW basketball than any other coach/UW is not a basketball school/ UW wouldn't be able tofind anyone better". It's the ultimate loser mentality
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

My (least) favorite excuse is "Romar has done more for UW basketball than any other coach/UW is not a basketball school/ UW wouldn't be able tofind anyone better". It's the ultimate loser mentality

The bold part is technically true.

The problem is that the program has been trending backwards for years now. All his past success is meaningless.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    who would you get who is better?!?!

Well, ten coaches finished ahead of Washington in the conference alone. I can think of at least four I'd take over him in a heartbeat.
  • Options

who would you get who is better?!?!

Well, ten coaches finished ahead of Washington in the conference alone. I can think of at least four I'd take over him in a heartbeat.

Dick Fain used this one this AM ... Mitch called him on it saying that Joe Fan didn't need to have the answer to that question to ask it.
  • Options
    A local media member (resume includes being known as a Snow Globe, charter member of the can't do any better crowd, and provides play by play for the local WNBA team) pointed out Romar's NCAA record as an argument against under performance in NCAAs - cited the 2010 team and their ability to beat both a 3 and 6 seed as a sign of over performing.

Facts:

2010 team had 3 members of the team in the rotation that have played in the NBA (Pondexter and IT both heavy rotational players)

A 4th future NBA player (CJ Wilcox) redshirted due to the amount of depth at the wing positions on this team

MBA, Elston Turner and Gaddy are playing professionally (MBA in Mexico; Turner/Gaddy in Italy on upper division teams in Serie A).

The '10 team didn't win their FIRST neutral/away game until Game #25 of the season. That was their 8th attempt on the season to accomplish that task.

Won the PAC tournament to earn an 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Without a win in the PAC Tournament, it's very possible that this would have been a team that missed the NCAAs altogether with THAT level of talent.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

A local media member (resume includes being known as a Snow Globe, charter member of the can't do any better crowd, and provides play by play for the local WNBA team) pointed out Romar's NCAA record as an argument against under performance in NCAAs - cited the 2010 team and their ability to beat both a 3 and 6 seed as a sign of over performing.

Facts:

2010 team had 3 members of the team in the rotation that have played in the NBA (Pondexter and IT both heavy rotational players)

A 4th future NBA player (CJ Wilcox) redshirted due to the amount of depth at the wing positions on this team

MBA, Elston Turner and Gaddy are playing professionally (MBA in Mexico; Turner/Gaddy in Italy on upper division teams in Serie A).

The '10 team didn't win their FIRST neutral/away game until Game #25 of the season. That was their 8th attempt on the season to accomplish that task.

Won the PAC tournament to earn an 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Without a win in the PAC Tournament, it's very possible that this would have been a team that missed the NCAAs altogether with THAT level of talent.

I remember that. I couldn't remember if it was the 2010 or 2011 team but I do remember bitching about it on Fagbook and a Doog chimed in to defend him (he no longer does, but he no longer interacts with me).

Wow an 11 seed. That's pathetic. Back then I still gave Romar the benefit of the doubt because he got to sweet sixteens and such. Didn't we lose to West Virginia or something?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Romar is a classy coach who wins the right way.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

The problem is that the program has been trending backwards for years now. All his past success is meaningless.
    Sounds like you've changed your tune...refreshing
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Sounds like you've changed your tune...refreshing
    huh?

I support coach Romar.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Dana Altman lost three starters way after he could really recruit to do some damage control, was picked to finish 12th and went on to finish 2nd in both the league and league tourney.

In 1,000 chances would LoRo ever pull that off?
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

Dana Altman lost three starters way after he could really recruit to do some damage control, was picked to finish 12th and went on to finish 2nd in both the league and league tourney.

No chance in hell
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

No chance in hell

That's the point. Altman is a great coach of the game of basketball. His recruiting and everything else not directly related to game coaching isn't great. If Altman could recruit like RoLo he'd be at big time school kicking ass.

UW needs to get a great basketball coach, win consistently, and once they are a winner go for the recruiter type.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

No chance in hell

That's the point. Altman is a great coach of the game of basketball. His recruiting and everything else not directly related to game coaching isn't great. If Altman could recruit like RoLo he'd be at big time school kicking ass.

UW needs to get a great basketball coach, win consistently, and once they are a winner go for the recruiter type.
    Someone really needs to explain this to me. The last four years romar has recruited awful. On top of that, the vast majority of his successful players came out of his backyard. So are we saying that he was the only reason they picked UW? Are we really trying to argue that almost anyone at UW couldn't have been able to pull in a lot of these seattle kids?

I consider someone a good recruiter when they can adjust to surroundings. Figure out talent is down and go find it. Bring in the majority of your guys make a mark on the program. I'm not saying every player will work out, but 75% of romars guys are failing, not the other way around. It's been years since we had legit 6th, 7th, 8th guys to actually carry a team.

That isn't recruiting.

Hopefully this next season is all the romarloves need. But if it's any indication of how things have gone for half a decade almost, you're going to whining about youth, injuries and transfers by december.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

No chance in hell

Great coaches make elite 8's and final 4's. Altman is a good coach who had an excellent season. He's far from great. It's not like he's tough either. He's been a head coach for a long time.
  • Options
    Altman is the kind of coach that you can have a lot of Top 20 or 25 teams with, maybe you get a lucky break or two or nice team that gets deep, but will never be a title contender. In that sense, he's very similar to Romar. The big difference is that I don't see Altman having the same kind of lows that Romar is capable of throwing out there and his biggest weakness (probably recruiting) is offset by his ability to get the most out of his teams (Romar is the reverse). Being at Oregon helps Altman in that he's probably able to pull in some slightly better players than he otherwise would be able to due to the Oregon name.

In probably 2-3 years Uncle Phil will tire of being a Top 3-4 team in the conference and 1st weekend bounces from the NCAAs and question what needs to be done to get deeper into March. Then he'll throw a $15M per year offer out to Callipari to coach the Ducks.